Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Which Field of Law Has the Most Jobs At the Moment?  (Read 4135 times)

cmd758

Which Field of Law Has the Most Jobs At the Moment?
« on: June 02, 2010, 05:18:12 AM »
Anyone know?

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Which Field of Law Has the Most Jobs At the Moment?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 07:49:55 AM »
Anyone know?

I have no idea what this question means.  What exactly would you consider a field of law?

Which is not to say that I would be able to answer the question anyway.  ;)
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

ec2xs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 02:38:53 PM »
From what I've gathered, IP and bankruptcy law have survived the recession quite well.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 06:24:56 PM »
lawyers can do all fields. Just get your JD and pass the bar. You could "major" in one field in school and practice the opposit on the street(minus patent law which requires its own rules and oddly enough some BA's could do, but not most JD's)

cmd758

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 06:27:22 PM »
I attempted to formulate the question in the best way that I could and you know that, so why analyze it? Either answer the question or don't. I suppose I really shouldn't bother reconstructing the question since others appear to understand and you said you problem can't answer anyway.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 09:05:01 PM »
just get a general no major JD and dont worry about it. Besides what is hot now might not be latter.

Here's a hint though, people will always try to stay out of prison and always fight over kids and property in divorses.
Recession proof.

People might not create as many trusts and split property and sue for constitutional change in different era's but those two above will never die.

cmd758

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 10:51:16 PM »
just get a general no major JD and dont worry about it. Besides what is hot now might not be latter.

Here's a hint though, people will always try to stay out of prison and always fight over kids and property in divorses.
Recession proof.

People might not create as many trusts and split property and sue for constitutional change in different era's but those two above will never die.

Perhaps though, if people are tight on money, they will using a public defender or wait to get divorced. Or am I incorrect? Like you said, people will always fight over kids, so maybe that passion will make people forget about finances. I was thinking tax law might be rather recession-proof whether it is for corporations or individuals. The IRS doesn't get put on hold...

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 10:56:46 PM »
I attempted to formulate the question in the best way that I could and you know that, so why analyze it? Either answer the question or don't. I suppose I really shouldn't bother reconstructing the question since others appear to understand and you said you problem can't answer anyway.

I was trying to get you a better answer by better understanding your question.  I actually did not know that this was the best way you could formulate it.  ???

Oh well, not trying to get into needless fights.  Good luck.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 11:26:11 PM »
Good point, only two things sure in life death and taxes, for a lawyer thats taxcourt and probate!  ;)

Recession proof.

Perhaps though, if people are tight on money, they will using a public defender or wait to get divorced. Or am I incorrect? Like you said, people will always fight over kids, so maybe that passion will make people forget about finances. I was thinking tax law might be rather recession-proof whether it is for corporations or individuals. The IRS doesn't get put on hold...

sonofapickle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 08:28:53 AM »
IT depends on how old you are and what year of law school you are in. Job X maybe more lucrative at the moment but has the possibility of not being as lucrative as another job.

My main passion is the sciences, but I only obtained the prereqs for Med-School which I do not like all too well, I thought at the time, it was a good fallback plan. As for finance, well, I make a little money in it currently but do not wish to have clients of my own as I am more interested in trading. However, it is not a passion of my own. My passion lies in the sciences like biotechnology, nanoscience, physics, molecular engineering, etc... So now, I possibly want to add a degree in physics to the 3 degrees I will have in the winter. If I do that, I will have to stay in school 1 more year, so 2011 winter is when I would get out. The math portion of physics is satisfied as well as some courses. It sucks though.

I am more interested in IP law though and less interested in corporate or criminal law. IP law is a good field to head into.