Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Competing with transfer applicants from your school  (Read 1194 times)

littleone83

• View Profile
Competing with transfer applicants from your school
« on: June 01, 2010, 09:00:39 PM »
I  received almost all my grades back and I might be in the lower end of top 10% of my class or just outside it. A classmate is applying to transfer and will be in the top 5%/top 10 people in the whole class. Do I basically have no chance of getting in when I am competing against higher ranked students from my class? I am in a tier 2.

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
Re: Competing with transfer applicants from your school
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 02:52:14 AM »
I'm also attempting to transfer. What you need in terms of scores seems to really depend on what school you currently attend and what tier you trying to get into. I found one helpful site that listed rank needed based on the tier of the school you currently attend and the tier of the school to which you are applying. For example if you want to get into a T2 and you go to a T3/4 you need to be in the top 10-20%.

http://www.policydiary.com/2010/02/thinking-of-transferring-law-schools.html

I hope this helps. I found it useful.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 11:36:45 AM »
Let those smarties transfer, then you will become #1 in your class. Better to be #1 at Alpalachian over #10 at Harvard.

littleone83

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 02:26:29 PM »
I am trying to transfer from a tier 2 to a top 20 school. Will I have a chance if I have a good but lower gpa and rank than someone else from my class who is also applying?

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 03:27:57 PM »
Are you asking if your chances are higher than someone who is more qualified?

I am trying to transfer from a tier 2 to a top 20 school. Will I have a chance if I have a good but lower gpa and rank than someone else from my class who is also applying?

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 04:52:19 PM »
I don't know that they would be matching you up against the other person from your school. I mean you will be measured against others that are applying to transfer there, but your gpa and rank may still be enough higher than other applicants to get a transfer spot, and if you are about the top 10% then you probably have a good shot. It seems that knowing how many transfers they take and possibly the amount of applicants might help you determine your chances. Good luck!

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 07:33:34 PM »
Let those smarties transfer, then you will become #1 in your class. Better to be #1 at Alpalachian over #10 at Harvard.

You serious?

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 09:11:35 PM »
why wouldnt I be serious. If the smarties all leave, then the dumbies look smart of the curve. Its like shopping at lane bryant, suddenly you're attractive!  ;D

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 11:51:31 AM »
why wouldnt I be serious. If the smarties all leave, then the dumbies look smart of the curve. Its like shopping at lane bryant, suddenly you're attractive!  ;D

I realize that you were probably exaggerating a bit, however, #1 at Appalachian is in no way equivalent to #10 at Harvard. 

The realistic breakdown is probably #1 at Appalachian = Top 30-40% at Harvard

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 05:54:16 PM »
What class ranking would you expect an alpachian transfer to become at Harvard if he were in top 5% at alpalachian?

Do transfers even qualify for valedictorian? How does a school compute their class ranking after the old credits gpa zeros out at transfer?

I realize that you were probably exaggerating a bit, however, #1 at Appalachian is in no way equivalent to #10 at Harvard. 

The realistic breakdown is probably #1 at Appalachian = Top 30-40% at Harvard