Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Must be true question stems and the meaning of Not All  (Read 817 times)

smiley111

• View Profile
    • Email
Must be true question stems and the meaning of Not All
« on: June 01, 2010, 02:23:50 PM »
Hi All,

I was hoping someone could answer these ?s for me.

I noticed that there are Must be True questions that ask....which of the following must be true... and others that state which of the following is inferred...or can be properly concluded.

Is there a difference between those 2 questions? I came across this problem and was down between 2 answers...1 was a must be true and the other answer choice was inferred from the stimulus.

I chose the answer choice that you could infer, and realized the ? stem stated which of these is inferred.

So I guess my ? is for MBT questions that ask you to infer--would the correct answer be one that is inferred or must be true?

Question #2

What does Not All mean? I thought it meant not all as in = atleast 1 to 99, but not 100%.
In other words does not all mean "some" since I think it is atleast 1.

Thank you guys so much

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
Re: Must be true question stems and the meaning of Not All
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 11:29:47 PM »
Question 1:  In LSAT Land, you can only infer things that must be true.  If it could be false, you can't infer it.

Question 2:  All means 100%.  Not all means not 100%.

cmd758

Re: Must be true question stems and the meaning of Not All
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 12:44:02 AM »
EarlCat is correct- in logic, an inference must be true. I suppose that must be true and inference stems are basically the same. I never thought about it that way...I just do them, but then again, I took a class on logic already so I am sure I am using some of that knowledge to answer the questions. Let me know if you need any more help with the LR section.