Julie Fern

• hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
Re: LSAT Error!
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2010, 11:18:50 AM »
you welcome.

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2010, 01:11:33 PM »
I see Julie is having trouble following the thread. Let me remind you Julie...
when one interpretation of rules lead nowhere and simpler interpretation lead somewhere, choice obvious.
I believe your point is a practical one. You aren't attempting so much as to justify the game rather you are dispensing practical advice for success on the exam. On that I will obviously agree with you, if I was solving this game on my graded test, I would hope I realize as early as possible that given the provided rule set the game is impossible and apply the additional rule on my own to solve the game.
Now, before the test, I seek to improve my test taking abilities by understanding why the correct answers are correct. In this instance it required understanding why it seems, in this game, that  the pilots and co-pilots can only fly in one plane each. So, after trying on my own, I turned to LSD for some suggestions and all I seem to get is Julie's incessant insistence that one should just solve the game in the manner that gets the most credited answers! Well, thank you for that Julie. Now may we please move on to figuring out what's the best way to determine how to solve a game when one doesn't have an answer key in front of them? Please?

P.S. I don't know if you are familiar with the phenomenon, but often times the test makers include possible answer choices that follow an incorrect interpretation of the rules. So it is possible to make a mistake in applying the rules and still have 'correct' options in each question. Therefore, it's important to understand the rules independently of the answer key and answer choices Julie, ok?

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2010, 03:16:15 PM »
Julie is just some dude goofing off, not a real person. Dont feed the trolls man.

when one interpretation of rules lead nowhere and simpler interpretation lead somewhere, choice obvious.
I believe your point is a practical one. You aren't attempting so much as to justify the game rather you are dispensing practical advice for success on the exam. On that I will obviously agree with you, if I was solving this game on my graded test, I would hope I realize as early as possible that given the provided rule set the game is impossible and apply the additional rule on my own to solve the game.
Now, before the test, I seek to improve my test taking abilities by understanding why the correct answers are correct. In this instance it required understanding why it seems, in this game, that  the pilots and co-pilots can only fly in one plane each. So, after trying on my own, I turned to LSD for some suggestions and all I seem to get is Julie's incessant insistence that one should just solve the game in the manner that gets the most credited answers! Well, thank you for that Julie. Now may we please move on to figuring out what's the best way to determine how to solve a game when one doesn't have an answer key in front of them? Please?

P.S. I don't know if you are familiar with the phenomenon, but often times the test makers include possible answer choices that follow an incorrect interpretation of the rules. So it is possible to make a mistake in applying the rules and still have 'correct' options in each question. Therefore, it's important to understand the rules independently of the answer key and answer choices Julie, ok?

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2010, 09:42:14 PM »
I remember this game: I found it difficult. It seemed the explanation of the rules was not very clear and perhaps ambiguous. I haven't carefully re-reviewed or reconsidered it though. You could probably contact LSAC and get feedback (they have a department for challenges to LSAT questions, but I'm not sure if they will address previous tests).

Julie Fern

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2010, 01:39:19 PM »

some people can be helped more than others.

you poor thing.

Julie Fern

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2010, 01:40:04 PM »
Julie is just some dude goofing off, not a real person. Dont feed the trolls man.

and if you not dug turd, how we know?

Julie Fern

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2010, 01:40:44 PM »
I remember this game: I found it difficult. It seemed the explanation of the rules was not very clear and perhaps ambiguous. I haven't carefully re-reviewed or reconsidered it though. You could probably contact LSAC and get feedback (they have a department for challenges to LSAT questions, but I'm not sure if they will address previous tests).

yes, do that.  and be sure talk down to them.

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2010, 07:35:55 PM »
I hope you resolved this before today's test, but FYI, whenever it seems like no answer is right or all answers are right, start back from scratch because the bottom line rule in every section is ONE answer is RIGHT and FOUR answers are WRONG.  Two might be good fits with what the question is asking, but one of them is a better fit than the other and therefore one is right and the other is wrong.

That keeps it simple because there are no two answers to any question on these tests.

You should have the answer key to the question you are asking about anyway, go look at the right answer according to the LSAC and then think what situation makes that the right answer.  I am not so good with the reverse analysis but once I get it wrong I know however I was thinking to get to that answer, stop thinking that way.

Julie Fern

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2010, 05:42:34 AM »
yes.

EarlCat

• i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2010, 09:21:43 PM »
A. That isn't  accurate, my questions read more like, e.g., "if Anna flies in plane 4 and Dave flies in plane 2, which of the following..." B. Even if that were the case, putting the word "is" in all-caps doesn't change the fact that it is absolutely possible and not in any way a stretch to say Anna IS on plane 4 and she IS on plane 3 during the airshow.

Grammar fail.  The prompt says that these people "are all aboard planes."  ARE is present tense.  At this point in time--right now--they are all aboard planes.  You can't say she IS on this plane and IS on that plane.  Perhaps she IS on one plane and WILL BE on another, or she WAS on this plane and WAS at another time on that plane, but she'd be pretty talented if she could be aboard more than one plane at present.

Just as you might say "B IS in the Customer Relations course and IS in the Marketing course during the business seminar." Or more similarly to our game "B TAKES the Customer Relations course and the Marketing course during the business seminar."

Being enrolled in a course is not analogous to flying a plane.  DUCY?

You seem to have a need to finish your posts with some meaningless "commonsense."

Perhaps if you exercised some commonsense we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Neither "putting game pieces in their respective slots" or "what blocks fit in what holes" have any relevance to the game we're discussing or to most LSAT games for that matter. Games where the variables can fill more than one position in the same game aren't rare or "complex hypotheticals" nor do they require the "Blue Angels to show up" they are actually a pretty basic game type. You seem to be prepared only to deal with the most basic of game types which call for placing an even amount of variables in an even amount of positions 1 variable per position.  The actual LSAT has far more complex games and if it's too much for you than maybe the LSAT isn't for you, but in any case you definitely shouldn't be offering advice on how to prepare.

You're the one who spent 7 minutes trying to figure out which rule you were missing.  Do games get more complex?  Yes.  Are you ever going to be any good at them if you can't figure out the basics?  No.  So maybe you should spend more time learning and less time arguing with people who have already mastered the test.