Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT Error!  (Read 3482 times)

aeaizenman

• View Profile
LSAT Error!
« on: May 31, 2010, 10:59:22 AM »
I don't get this. Something must be wrong with me, I keep finding errors in the LSAT! Someone tell me that PT 3 Game four isn't missing a rule that all planes in the show are flying at the exact same time (like many other games - that precisely define the time-frame in which something happens). I spent 7 mins trying to figure out which rule I was missing (cuz with the rules they provided there wasn't any correct answers in any of the questions) and then it occurred to me that maybe they meant for all planes to be in the air at the same time during the show and therefore no pilot can fly two different planes (which obviously wouldn't be the case if they weren't flying at the same time) and I solved all the questions correctly, but I looked back at their rules multiple times and couldn't find any reason to think that had to be the case (that all planes in the show where flying at the same time). Please tell me I'm wrong!

Cambridge LSAT

• View Profile
    • Cambridge LSAT
    • Email
Re: LSAT Error!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 11:25:32 AM »
The first and second rules define the time frame. The wording "are all aboard planes that are flying in the airshow" narrows the scope to the pilots and copilots flying concurrently. Therefore, none of the pilots or copilots can be on the ground within the framework of the game, nor can they switch planes, since they are in the air.

aeaizenman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 11:30:49 AM »
I hear what you are trying to say, but it sounds a bit out of character for LSAC. Also, I don't think it's accurate. Technically if B flew plane one in the beginning of the show and then flew plane 2  later on in the show which part of the rules would she be violating?

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 12:53:08 PM »
I hear what you are trying to say, but it sounds a bit out of character for LSAC. Also, I don't think it's accurate. Technically if B flew plane one in the beginning of the show and then flew plane 2  later on in the show which part of the rules would she be violating?

It doesn't matter because we're not dealing with any change among the elements (e.g. pilots & co-pilots) over time.  There have been games in the past that did this, but there is no time element here and no rules regarding how people might switch planes.  At any given time there is at least one pilot in each plane.  Don't over complicate things.  All you're doing is figuring out what blocks fit in what holes.

aeaizenman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 05:18:44 PM »
It doesn't matter because we're not dealing with any change among the elements (e.g. pilots & co-pilots) over time
Says who? Many games come to mind that allow the people variables to fill more than one position, especially when the rules limit some variables from doing so (e.g. B will attend class G or F but not both) here the last two rules state that Anna and Dave will ONLY fly in plane x or plane y and there is nothing elsewhere that would restrict the other variables from flying in two planes during the show.
Take question 20 for example: Anna flies in plane 4 (and cannot fly on any other plane "Anna will only fly in either plane 1 or plane 4.") and a pilot needs to accompany Dave on plane two it follows that either Cindy or Bob must fly with Dave, but there is no such answer. The "correct" answer is B (if C flies 3 then B flies two). I will create a scenario with Cindy flying the 3 plane and Bob not flying the 2 plane and you tell me which rule is violated.
Cindy and Dave fly in plane 2
Cindy and Ed fly in plane 3
Anna, Bob, and Fran fly in plane four.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 08:54:37 AM »
when interpret rules so that can't proceed, reconsider.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 08:55:08 AM »
you welcome.

aeaizenman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 10:06:31 AM »
Are you suggesting that when I'm posed with a difficult question (or complete game for that matter) I should amend the given rules to help solve the question/s??

aeaizenman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 11:19:49 AM »
I read back what Cambridge wrote:
"are all aboard planes that are flying in the airshow" narrows the scope to the pilots and copilots flying concurrently
and I wanted to just clarify my response. If B would fly plane 2 in the beginning of the show and later in the show fly plane 3 would it not be true to say: B is aboard a plane and that plane is flying in the airshow. The same would be with the rest of the pilots and co-pilots whether they are flying in one or two planes.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 01:11:55 PM »
Are you suggesting that when I'm posed with a difficult question (or complete game for that matter) I should amend the given rules to help solve the question/s??

no.  but when one interpretation of rules lead nowhere and simpler interpretation lead somewhere, choice obvious.