;

Poll

Drake of St. Thomas (MN)

Drake
 0 (0%)
St. Thomas
 6 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Drake or St. Thomas (MN)  (Read 579 times)

Zendu

• View Profile
Drake or St. Thomas (MN)
« on: May 31, 2010, 12:50:24 AM »
Trying to decide between the two, I feel they both have their own merits.  Any thoughts on it?
3.2 Gpa, 167 LSAT if that is somehow relevant.  Due to scholarships they are 20k and 16k respectively. (which is more or less negated by the somewhat higher cost of living)

sonofapickle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Drake or St. Thomas (MN)
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 01:22:15 AM »
If you want to practice in Iowa, then go to Drake. Otherwise, for everything else, St. Thomas Law is the better option for quality of education. I have seen a few students from St.Thomas law and can say, they seem like veteran lawyers. That is more-so exaggerations on my part, but the St.Thomas Law graduates do have a sense of professionalism, seriousness, and drive you do not see in many graduates. William Mitchell graduates are somewhat the same as well. I have never met a Hamline Law graduate yet, but once I do, I will tell you about it.

For job market, Minnesota is a good place to practice if you are used to the bone chilling winters. William graduates tend to hold down more jobs in the Minnesota market though due to the bigger companies partners and recruiting officers having gone to Mitchel. However, St.Thomas graduates are employed in various legal offices in the Minnesota market as well. Some even venture off to start their own pracitces or practice law in a different state.

You can get into St. Thomas though with your scores. GPA is, I think, 3.5 for the 75% and 3.02 for the 25%, and the LSAT is 159 for sure.

Zendu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 02:07:20 PM »
Thanks, I'm currently accepted at both.   Anyone else?  I'm having a hard time finding unbiased information.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 11:16:52 AM »
It really is all local outside of the top 25 St. Thomas will get you something in Minnesota and Drake will get you something in Iowa. Odds are outside of Iowa nobody knows where or what Drake is and same logic applies to St. Thomas. Unless you are going to an elite school in the top 25 or so the schools are regional and even on the lower end of the top 25 it is regional. Schools like Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Michigan, Cornell, Northwestern, University of Chicago, UCLA, USC, NYU, Georgetown, Penn, and maybe a few others have real name recognition everywhere. Outside of those few schools lawyers don't know much outside of the region they are working in. Outside of California most lawyers will not know that Hastings or Davis are really good schools. Most people outside of New York don't know that Cardozo or Fordham are good schools.  So bottom line if you are deciding between Drake and St. Thomas location, scholarship money and any specialty programs/clinics either school offers should be your only concern. Whatever their U.S. news rankings are of either school is irrelevant.

RobLawMN

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 09:39:24 PM »
My opinion is going to be a little biased.  I'm currently a 2L at St. Thomas and can tell you that I really love it.  I don't know a lot about Drake, but St. Thomas is very highly regarded in the Twin Cities.  There are great opportunities at St. Thomas and in Minneapolis.  Not sure if you're familiar with the area but Minnesota is a great state and Minneapolis is a great city.  Cost of living is not that bad in MN either.  I'm in apartment about 10 minutes away from downtown and the UST Law campus and it's very reasonable.  UST has great facilities, an amazing library, great faculty and staff and the quality of life is awesome.  I probably sound like a salesman, but UST is great and we'd love to have you.  If you have any specific questions about St. Thomas, I'd love to answer them for you, if I can.

At the end of the day, the best choice for you really is going to be where you can see yourself living for, at least a couple of years, after school.