Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How to get into upper 50%...For 1Ls who are in bottom 50%  (Read 4647 times)

akaaka

• View Profile
    • Email
How to get into upper 50%...For 1Ls who are in bottom 50%
« on: May 29, 2010, 10:24:22 PM »
Don't get discouraged, it is very unpleasant but not the end of the world. Law school exams results are part luck, part knowledge and part just skill and what you know for exams. Exams did not have much to do with the textbooks I used, and I was really pissed off about it. I used certain techniques that helped me to get into upper half of the class. I can give you info of the tutor who helped me with this.

cooleylawstudent

Re: For those 1Ls who only got into bottom 50%...
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 12:06:43 AM »
such as?

akaaka

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: For those 1Ls who only got into bottom 50%...
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 05:45:07 PM »
Such as my friend, former paralegal and now a law student, whose email I don't really want to post on the web-site because, a) it will be advertising, b) it is a private email. If anyone is interested, they can contact me, I will give it to them.

chi2009

• View Profile
Re: How to get into upper 50%...For 1Ls who are in bottom 50%
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 11:13:46 AM »
Don't get discouraged, it is very unpleasant but not the end of the world. Law school exams results are part luck, part knowledge and part just skill and what you know for exams. Exams did not have much to do with the textbooks I used, and I was really pissed off about it. I used certain techniques that helped me to get into upper half of the class. I can give you info of the tutor who helped me with this.

I don't entirely agree.  If you only read the casebook and take class notes, then you may find things on the exam you're not prepared for.  But if you outline, do practice exams, problems, read supplementary material, etc., then you'll have the knowledge and luck won't have much to do with it.  And the purpose of practice exams is to build your testing skills.  You obviously have an uphill battle, but it's not impossible.  But reading and going to class won't be enough.  You're really going to have to do all the extra stuff to give yourself an edge over the people who are already in the upper 50%.

cvtheis

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 01:49:32 PM »
Studying past exams is huge.  As one of my profs put it, 'there are only so many ways I can ask for certan information.'

Advocate

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 04:00:44 PM »
Work harder. Maybe some geniuses can graduate Summa without becoming a law troll, but normally they do live in the library (if not under a bridge somewhere). The same principle should hold all the way down the curve. Don't believe the nonsense about working smarter, not harder. You need to work smarter and harder.  I suggest watching Full Metal Jacket. Then imagine that drill Sergent screaming at you, in very colorful language, demeaning your value as a human being, every time you even think of doing something slackerly like going home early or surfing the web during class!  Now close the internet browser and get your momma's boy backsides into the law library, maggots!

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 06:10:53 PM »
Advocate, I just wanted to say that your post is both hilarious and insightful. Excellent way to illustrate your point.  :)

bradyllewis

• View Profile
    • LSAT Testing Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 02:38:06 AM »
This is a good topic to be brought up.  It's so easy to give up and give in, especially for young people.  This is such an important part of your life that you can't give up.  You have to stick it out, keep your head up, and put as much effort into it that you can.  This can be a life lesson.  The discipline and hard work this takes can be applied to many situations for the rest of your life.

schizm

• View Profile
    • Outlines4Lawschool
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 01:41:21 AM »
Learn to enjoy the material. If you love something it is much easier to succeed in it. I know it sounds corny but it's the truth.
www.outlines4lawschool.com - Law School Outlines & FREE Bar Exam Outlines!

Specks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 12:18:18 AM »
in addition to reading the exams, I would highly suggest reading the answers to those exams. Just knowing HOW an exam answer is crafted was huge for me. If you can't get a hold of one from your professor, I suggest reading the Acing series. It gives a pretty good breakdown of how you analyze an exam thoroughly. In the end though, it is just chugging along and learning how to test. Meet with your professors as often as they will let you, and bring them practice exams you've written. You'd be amazed at how much it helps.