Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Crazy to choose NYLS ($45) over Pitt??  (Read 1233 times)

shmiggins

• View Profile
Re: Crazy to choose NYLS ($45) over Pitt??
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 04:21:32 PM »
Yeah, that's a bad idea.  NYLS is like 20th in that market, while Pitt owns Pittsburgh.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 08:29:35 PM »
really, because if its not a JD they shouldnt be calling themselves a "lawschool" should they? ::)

Go wherever you want. It all adds up to the same degree.

Untrue.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 11:02:14 AM »
Your right baby lawyer an internship is not the same as a salaried attorney position so I can't really say what will happen until two years from now if and when I pass the bar.  There were quite a few graduates from GGU and even JFK, New Mission and Lincoln law school that were at the table interviewing me and had full time positions. 

However, all J.D.'s are not created equally I mean a basic fact is that if you go to JFK or Lincoln you get a J.D., but you can't be a lawyer outside of California so that right there does not make all J.D.'s equal.  A degree from Harvard, Stanford, Yale, schools of that Elk will open more doors than Cooley, GGU, Cal Western.  The same would be true in any profession a computer science degree from Stanford opens more doors than one from San Jose State.  Not that San Jose State Grads can't get a job, but just getting into a school like Stanford is an accomplishment and you have to be extremely motivated and intelligent to even be considered to get in. 

It's the same thing in sports I mean Duke was not recruiting me you have to be a special player to have Coach K even acknowledge you. Bottom line is some people have more natural talent than others and that is the way it is.

Jebba28

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 02:40:09 PM »
Everyone - Thank you so much for your comments! I definitely understand the point that it (most often) makes the most sense to go to school in the region in which one ultimately wants to practice. My dilemma is just that I want to practice in NY immediately upon graduating.  That is my short term plan - call it graduation + 5 years.  However, ultimately, I'm not sure if I would want to return to Pennsylvania or that general area, and it sounds like Pitt has an OK reputation in PA, DC, etc.  I wondered if it made sense any way you cut it - to go to Pitt with the intention to get a job upon graduation in New York. Sounds like the concensus is that it doesn't....

Also, I want to keep the option of transferring open, (just in case), and I'm wondering if (again) the region and rank of the schools affect admission as a transfer student.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 04:09:56 PM »
Any ABA school CAN will allow you to sit for the bar in that state and if you pass the bar you can be a lawyer anywhere.  You could go NYLS and work for a few years then take the bar in Pennsylvania and start working there.  Or go to Pitt take the New York bar and work there it is certainly not impossible either way. However, the mere odds are that wherever you go to school is where you will end up. Once you rack up 100k or so in debt from any law school you will need to get to work ASAP and getting your first REAL legal job as baby lawyer said will probably be difficult. There is a 50% chance you will be in the bottom 50% of whatever school you go to and then your first legal job will be even more difficult to find. 

If I was you I probably would go to Pitt because I imagine you can get a job in Pittsburgh easier than one from NYLS considering there are 8 or 9 schools in NY you will be in competition with on top of all the other law graduates who try to move to New York. If you get a few years of experience and perform well in Pitt I am sure it will be a lot easier to work in NY once you have extensive experience.

In regards to transfer I don't think it matters what school you transfer from. If you are in the top 10% or so I think you can transfer to most schools and the ranking does not matter much, but maybe I am wrong about that.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 07:47:16 AM »
Everyone - Thank you so much for your comments! I definitely understand the point that it (most often) makes the most sense to go to school in the region in which one ultimately wants to practice. My dilemma is just that I want to practice in NY immediately upon graduating.  That is my short term plan - call it graduation + 5 years.  However, ultimately, I'm not sure if I would want to return to Pennsylvania or that general area, and it sounds like Pitt has an OK reputation in PA, DC, etc.  I wondered if it made sense any way you cut it - to go to Pitt with the intention to get a job upon graduation in New York. Sounds like the concensus is that it doesn't....

Also, I want to keep the option of transferring open, (just in case), and I'm wondering if (again) the region and rank of the schools affect admission as a transfer student.

Can I ask you a question?  What exactly do you mean by "practice in NY"?  What do you see yourself doing?
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)