Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Crazy to choose NYLS ($45) over Pitt??  (Read 1243 times)

Jebba28

• View Profile
Crazy to choose NYLS ($45) over Pitt??
« on: May 28, 2010, 03:20:44 AM »
Hi - Any and ALL help is immensely appreciated!!

I was granted $45 to NYLS but also got into Pitt.  I am originally from Pitt, but I'm not sure whether or not I would ever move back. I ultimately want to work in NY, at least for the years immediately following law school.  I'm under the impression that it will be very difficult to get a job in NY from Pittsburgh but potentially easier if attempting to get jobs in Pitt coming from NY.  Is it terrible to choose a NY T-3 over a Pitt T-2?

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Crazy to choose NYLS ($45) over Pitt??
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 04:21:52 AM »
no location is the most important factor and the U.S. news rankings are a complete scam disapproved by the ABA, LSAC, and even AALS. Honestly if New York is where you went to be then go to law school in New York simple as that.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 02:15:30 AM »
no location is the most important factor and the U.S. news rankings are a complete scam disapproved by the ABA, LSAC, and even AALS. Honestly if New York is where you went to be then go to law school in New York simple as that.

This is, at best, not very good advice.  Bigs has it right in that the distinction between USNWR Tier 2 and Tier 3 is pretty meaningless, but that's about all I agree with in this post.

What you want matters, but it's not the only thing that you think about in making a decision.  I want to be able to fly, but that doesn't mean I'm going to go jump off my balcony.

Here's a framework for thinking about this decision: what's the least amount of money you will need to borrow in order to attend NYLS?  Pitt?  That's where you start: how much it will cost.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 02:33:14 AM »
I was probably a little to harsh on the rankings had he/she gotten into Penn instead of Pitt then location would not matter, but I think dealing with difference between tier 2, 3, and 4 location is what matters. However, if you can go to somewhere in the Ivy League or an ELITE school Georgetown, NYU, Stanford, then by all means go because it will open all kinds of doors. However, I imagine a degree from Pitt won't have much sway in New York and a degree from NYLS won't have much sway in Pitt. However, NYLS will be sufficient to get you a job in NY and a degree from Pitt is probably very respected in Pittsburgh.

If the OP is merely concerned about getting a job anywhere then Pitt would probably be the right choice, because I imagine a degree from there is really respected in Pitt, but I have not been to Pittsburgh and know little about so it is just my opinion.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 03:16:34 PM »
I was probably a little to harsh on the rankings had he/she gotten into Penn instead of Pitt then location would not matter, but I think dealing with difference between tier 2, 3, and 4 location is what matters. However, if you can go to somewhere in the Ivy League or an ELITE school Georgetown, NYU, Stanford, then by all means go because it will open all kinds of doors.

I think I stated your position when I said that the distinction between tier 2 and tier 3 is pretty meaningless.  That's much of what it comes down to, isn't it?  :)

That having been said, I disagree that NYLS is "sufficient" to get a job in NY.  You can get a job with a NYLS degree, but that doesn't mean it is in and of itself enough to get one a job.  I don't really know much about Pittsburgh so I would just be speculating.

Jebba, why exactly do you want to be in New York anyway?  What kind of law do you see yourself practicing there?

cmd758

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 05:30:07 AM »
Pittsburgh people take care of Pittsburgh people. Trust me. I live there now. They like their graduates. Many of them are graduates of both of the law schools in Pittsburgh, so hire them. Take a look at the websites of Pittsburgh lawfirms and you will see what I mean.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 03:00:21 PM »
I would imagine that's true and why location is so important when choosing a school.  I have no problem getting jobs in San Francisco from my tier 4 because it is located in San Francisco.  Everybody I interview with went to a bay area school and I have probably gone on 15 interviews and meet 50 different lawyers and all but two of the attorneys I met did not go to bay area schools.

When I worked in New York 95% of the lawyers went to NY law schools. CUNY, Touro, Hofstra, Brooklyn, NYU, Cardozo, Rutgers, Seton Hall, down the line and not one person from a California school worked in my department in New York. People in New York really look out for New Yorkers I mean it is just the way it is.

Bottom line is whatever school you end up going to the odds are about 90% you will end up in the location you go to school.  Regardless of school ranking etc. If you know where you want to live then go to school there, if you really don't care at all where you end up then go to the best school you can get into. Like the poster above said Pittsburgh lawyers look out for Pitt graduates it makes perfect sense. I am sure in Spokane a degree from Gonzaga might have more pull than a degree from a fairly well ranked school like Hastings or Cardozo, because I imagine people in Spokane like Gonzaga, because it is in Spokane.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 05:14:22 PM »
I would imagine that's true and why location is so important when choosing a school.  I have no problem getting jobsinternships in San Francisco from my tier 4 because it is located in San Francisco.  Everybody I interview with went to a bay area school and I have probably gone on 15 interviews and meet 50 different lawyers and all but two of the attorneys I met did not go to bay area schools.

When I worked in New York 95% of the lawyers went to NY law schools. CUNY, Touro, Hofstra, Brooklyn, NYU, Cardozo, Rutgers, Seton Hall, down the line and not one person from a California school worked in my department in New York. People in New York really look out for New Yorkers I mean it is just the way it is.

Bottom line is whatever school you end up going to the odds are about 90% you will end up in the location you go to school.  Regardless of school ranking etc. If you know where you want to live then go to school there, if you really don't care at all where you end up then go to the best school you can get into. Like the poster above said Pittsburgh lawyers look out for Pitt graduates it makes perfect sense. I am sure in Spokane a degree from Gonzaga might have more pull than a degree from a fairly well ranked school like Hastings or Cardozo, because I imagine people in Spokane like Gonzaga, because it is in Spokane.

I made one little modification.  ;)

Also, I agree that all things being equal, it's better to go to school where you want to practice.  However, all things are not necessarily equal, and I'm not talking about school rankings.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 05:31:44 PM »
Go wherever you want. It all adds up to the same degree.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 08:19:12 AM »
Go wherever you want. It all adds up to the same degree.

Untrue.