Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of London law degree?  (Read 5806 times)

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: University of London law degree?
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 07:44:39 PM »
Most of these online schools are pay as you go.  Therefore, anyone pursuing a degree or two through them would not end up with any debt.  Also, starting at $50,000 as a paralegal is not a bad annual salary.  But, you are right.  We need to make sure we are happy with just LLB and master of laws initials after our names, just in case we end up not being able to sit for a bar exam in any state
Angie

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 03:53:15 PM »
You are, indeed, well positioned.
Angie

calvinexpress

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 12:00:03 AM »
We are not eligible to sit for a bar exam in any state with a law degree from England, or any foreign country.  Attorneys from overseas have to take an LLM course designed to teach them American law.  Then, after the earn that degree, they can sit for a bar exam in the state in which they earned the LLM.  I looked at the University of London.  I saw a much higher price.  I will check it out again.  You might have to learn legal writing on your own.

America state bars will accept a foreign law degree. America does indeed welcome foreign LLB law degree's from England since the American judicial system is based on common law from England. We took the laws within British law books and made it American law when we broke away from them.

calvinexpress

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 12:08:13 AM »
Actually, they could end up being an "overqualified paralegal" with a bunch of debt they can't pay!  As badly as I hate to use saying like this, in legal education the motto of "plan your work, work your plan" really makes sense.  Know where you want to end up before you begin, then pick the best road to get there.

It's not a bunch of debt. London external law school's LLB program is less than $2,000. a year for the 3 year program. London and other Countries are known for giving people an education at a reduced fee. You can get a whole law degree or any degree in other countries for less than $5000.00. The same exact degree that cost over $150,000. in America. America accepts foreign degrees no matter what kind of degree it is; Economics, Law, Education, Politics, Psychology, Management, Marketing, Business, etc...