Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of London law degree?  (Read 5855 times)

calvinexpress

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
University of London law degree?
« on: May 27, 2010, 11:00:36 PM »
Any Ameicans on here receive a bachelors of Law from the University of London and allowed any of the state bars in America? I checked it out and their online law degree is only 1,500.00 a year. Sounds too good to be real. However, I checked out their curruculim and there is no "legal writing" class. How are we suppose to learn how to write like an attorney if they don't make us take legal writing? Am I overlooking something here? Also, I'm concerned that their laws are different than American laws, which could possibly cause a problem with passing the state bars. Anybody in the same boat?

cooleylawstudent

Re: University of London law degree?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 07:54:14 AM »
If you get licensed there you can transfer here. The degree wouldnt be enough alone and some states will make you practice over there for awhile first(which may require moving there I suspect)

Any Ameicans on here receive a bachelors of Law from the University of London and allowed any of the state bars in America? I checked it out and their online law degree is only 1,500.00 a year. Sounds too good to be real. However, I checked out their curruculim and there is no "legal writing" class. How are we suppose to learn how to write like an attorney if they don't make us take legal writing? Am I overlooking something here? Also, I'm concerned that their laws are different than American laws, which could possibly cause a problem with passing the state bars. Anybody in the same boat?

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 02:38:07 PM »
We are not eligible to sit for a bar exam in any state with a law degree from England, or any foreign country.  Attorneys from overseas have to take an LLM course designed to teach them American law.  Then, after the earn that degree, they can sit for a bar exam in the state in which they earned the LLM.  I looked at the University of London.  I saw a much higher price.  I will check it out again.  You might have to learn legal writing on your own.
Angie

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 02:58:12 PM »
Without taking courses at another school approved to teach by the University of London, the registration fee is 746.  The registration supplement per subject is 25 (I did 25 4).  The continuing and exam fees are 305 and 511 per year.  All those fees added up come to 1662.  So, we would pay $2515 for the first year.  I think it could even be paid on a monthly basis.
Angie

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 03:30:33 AM »
It has just occurred to me that it's possible for an American to earn the LLB from the University of London.  Then attend school to earn the LLM for those with foreign law degrees and become eligible to sit for the bar exam.   I'm sticking with my original plan.  But, those of you out there who are not tired of monthly payments to an online law school might consider that route.
Angie

GovLaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 11:31:22 AM »
I have read that some LLM programs won't admit a student if their LLB was earned though distance education - you should check carefully if you intend to follow that path.

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 02:03:52 PM »
I just read an e-mail from admin at the University of London.  There are no monthly payments.  But, for the first year 746 plus 25 per course is all you pay up front.  The other 511 is paid when you are ready to take a test.   It is more common in Europe and Malaysia to earn the LLB through distance learning.  So, if they want to practice here, they normally sign onto an LLM program somewhere.  Why would it be any different for an American with an LLB?
Angie

GovLaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 10:13:27 AM »
I'm not sure the reasoning behind the requirement, but several LLM programs specifically state in their admissions policy that they will not accept students with a degree earned online.  It has been a while since I've looked at this, they may have been referencing an online JD, not an LLB - which is why I stated that anyone interested in this avenue should carefully look into the policies of the college where they may want to earn their LLM.  It would be unfortunate to spend the time and money to earn a degree and then find it unacceptable to the college where you wanted to further your education.

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 05:35:37 PM »
Maybe the Master of Laws would be a viable alternative.  The worst that can happen with any of these degrees is that the holder would end up being an overqualified paralegal.  Something all of us with one or more liberal arts degrees are very familiar with.
Angie

GovLaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 11:45:53 AM »
Actually, they could end up being an "overqualified paralegal" with a bunch of debt they can't pay!  As badly as I hate to use saying like this, in legal education the motto of "plan your work, work your plan" really makes sense.  Know where you want to end up before you begin, then pick the best road to get there.