Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Very low T2 --> T14  (Read 2336 times)

stinger35

• View Profile
Very low T2 --> T14
« on: May 26, 2010, 11:45:12 PM »
I have extensively studied transferapps, just wanted to get a gut reaction from real people -

I go to a very low T2, has been dropping lately and is in the bottom 10 right now of the T2. I currently have a 3.94 but am still waiting 2 grades and think I will drop to a 3.79 or 3.83. Still, I will CERTAINLY be in the top5% and likely top 1 or 2 overall. However, those official rankings won't come out until July (I am pretty sure). That being said, I am Part-Time student. I know that some schools state that they don't accept PT students or that you need to meet credit requirements. HOWEVER - I have spoken to part time students who have (cumulatively) gotten into every single T14 school, even those that explicitly state that they don't accept PT students. Still, I realize it will hurt my chances.

All in all, wanted some opinions on what my chances are into the t14. I have been deferred at Gtwon Ea, and dinged at Chicago ED. I am not applying to the Top 3 (except maybe Harvard). What is the gut feeling on the 9 remaining? (Particularly Nwestern and Michigan) Thanks for the responses.

cooleylawstudent

Re: Very low T2 --> T14
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 11:48:43 PM »
even the guy who ends up on academic probation will "surely be in the top 5%"

Just graduate and move on with your life.

stinger35

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 01:11:53 AM »
I honestly dont even understand what that means? I was number 1 in my class first semester of law school, 2nd semester I have all A's, while still waiting on a grade. Even if it is a C, I would still be in top 5% range. What the @#!* are you talking about academic probation? Seriously.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 01:22:48 AM »
There is a whole world beyond you and/or your perception of yourself. Crazy huh? :o
Oh, and even if its a C(could be a D or below) you would NOT be top 5%. Not unless everyone in your class has down syndorome.

I honestly dont even understand what that means? I was number 1 in my class first semester of law school, 2nd semester I have all A's, while still waiting on a grade. Even if it is a C, I would still be in top 5% range. What the @#!* are you talking about academic probation? Seriously.

stinger35

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 01:30:15 AM »
Well, the grade won't be a C anyways, its my legal writing class and I was above median on every single assignment. I expect an A-/B+ but a B is inside the realm of possibility. I received CALI's in torts, contracts, con law, civil procedure. i don't understand your *&^% attitude and treating me like I am an idiot. If you didn't want to help with the thread, why reply at all? And do the math, I have a 3.94 now and am #1 in my class. A "C" actually would not take me out of the top 5% with almost any other numbers you enter into the equation, especially with a 2.9 curve.

Did you just get bad grades all through law school or something?

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 08:21:40 AM »
Congratulations on your great grades!

Do you want to stay in or near the state in which your school is located?  Would you be content going to some of the largest law firms in that state? 
If so, then I wouldn't transfer. 
If not, then transfer away.

I'm not so sure why folks think that being at a T14 is better than being within the top 5 students at a T2.  It's not.  In fact, I would venture a guess that top 25% at a T14 is the equivalent of top 5 students at a T2 in an employer's eyes.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 08:34:36 PM »
Everyones a god in their own eyes.  :'(

Well, the grade won't be a C anyways, its my legal writing class and I was above median on every single assignment. I expect an A-/B+ but a B is inside the realm of possibility. I received CALI's in torts, contracts, con law, civil procedure. i don't understand your bunnies attitude and treating me like I am an idiot. If you didn't want to help with the thread, why reply at all? And do the math, I have a 3.94 now and am #1 in my class. A "C" actually would not take me out of the top 5% with almost any other numbers you enter into the equation, especially with a 2.9 curve.

Did you just get bad grades all through law school or something?

stinger35

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 11:45:51 PM »
While you two haters were so confusing, weird, and just plain odd that I am not even sure what you were trying to say to me...the grade turned out to be an A leaving my GPA a 3.96 for the 1l year.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 12:37:54 AM »
couldnt get a 4.0  :'(

While you two haters were so confusing, weird, and just plain odd that I am not even sure what you were trying to say to me...the grade turned out to be an A leaving my GPA a 3.96 for the 1l year.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 11:56:23 AM »
I would think if you are doing that well at your current school then why transfer. If you are literally number 1 in your class why not just stay? It would seem that everything is working quite well for you in your current situation. If you finish #1 from any ABA school I would imagine that would open quite a few doors, particularly in whatever region your school is in. I would demand some scholarship money from your school and if they refuse then consider transferring.

I have known people that transferred from my tier 4 GGU to tier 2's USF and Santa Clara these people were severely disappointed, because they lost 80,000 in scholarship money and ended up in the same internships as their section mates from their 1L class at GGU. In the end all they really got was 80,000 more in debt and the ability to say they go to the 82nd best school instead of the 112th.

Obviously transferring from your current T-2 into Harvard, Northwestern, etc is a bit different than the above and it might be worth it, but I really think being able to say I was number #1 in my class at any ABA school would be more impressive than an Ivy League school. That is just my opinion though.