Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Small Town Firm-Should I?  (Read 3079 times)

scooby21322

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cmschube
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/login.php
Re: Small Town Firm-Should I?
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 10:51:41 AM »
Thanks everyone.  I'm definately going to give the firm a strong look (and would probably take it if an offer is extended). 

The closest big town (100,000+ people) is an hour and 30 minutes away and the closest big city (of over a million people) is 3 hours and 30 minutes away.  I assume these will be close enough to garner consideration given the things that have been said here.  I just need a start and experience, so this job seems better and better the more I think about it, despite it's location. 

Thane:  a lateral hire is ok with me.  I'm not as concered with prestige and big money as much as I am location and quality of life. 

scooby21322

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cmschube
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/login.php
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 07:49:12 PM »
To those of you who have responded (and those who haven't too) I have an additional question.  I went to the interview. It was great. The office was an old coverted hotel, beautiful, and the town was surprisingly quaint. However, both partners are from that county (I'm not even from this state) and both have been with the firm for over 20 years.  Clearly their expectations are that I'll be a long-term hire.  Is it bad business practice to take a job like that knowing I may leave later on (I do realize that I may love it and stay, but my long-term goals would require me to relocate)? 

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 08:14:07 PM »
I would say use your common sense. If you are their for 6 months and leave after they spend 6 months training you they won't be to happy. In every profession you have to start somewhere and in your other posts you indicated you could do contract work or this and it sounds like this would be 100x better than contract work.

If you work there for 3 years or so and leave they will probably understand that is life, but don't accept a job then leave 3 weeks into it or something. If you do that enough times your reputation will not be to good.

Henri_Allen

• View Profile
    • Estate and Succession Planning
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 04:23:01 PM »
Bigs5068's advice was very sound.  (Almost) never turn down an interview - it's always a good opportunity to practice.  Plus, you never know that you won't get there, see the town, the firm, meet the people, and realize it's a perfect fit for you.  Either way, it's a win-win.  If you hate it, you've gained interview practice that will allow you to perform even better next time you get called into a firm.