Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Preparing for the LSAT; PowerScore Bibles  (Read 5644 times)

sonofapickle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Preparing for the LSAT; PowerScore Bibles
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2010, 11:40:38 PM »
... good for you.

Anyway, you could prepare for the LSAT in a number of ways, just figure out what best suits you.

I have a good one for you, sonofapickle, if you're so intelligent and above all of this, then why the hell do you spend so much time on here arguing pointlessly? Oh, and to act like you:

1.) It is continually, not continuously.
2.) You contradict yourself all the time.
3.) You give opinions no one wants.
4.) You obviously have trouble making friends (bad for a lawyer).
5.) Perhaps I was wrong about my interpretation of your character- but as I see it, the only other possibility is that you're a sociopath.
6.) I am not touching your last post with a ten foot pole, but I will say that everyone thinks you're an ass and if this is your strategy for successfully practicing law, you better get a new one because unbeknowst to you, the legal field (like many other fields) is based on establishing good relationships and being "likeable." You are not. You should know (if you're as intelligent as you claim) that truth is more often than not a social construct and no matter how intelligent you believe that you are, if you're constantly at odds with 99.99999999% of the population, you're essentially an idiot. If you were intelligent enough, you might be able to convince them of your strange worldview, but apparently you cannot.

I wasnoi't gng to respond, but after working 15 hours in a row, I suppose I am feeling a bit punchy. Don't expect me to respond to your next series of ramblings (BTW I think you would enjoy the book The Secret History). I don't care. As my dad would say, I should be studying for the exam instead.

I do not care if you read this or not, but your inability to compare your arguments to life is very limited and rather more inclined to tunnel vision than a broader perspective. You have shown this twice.

1) Continually and continuously are both used under different circumstances within grammar. There was nothing wrong with my diction at the time.

2) That I did contradict myself, but not centered around my argument nor point. It was a non-argumentative contradiction.

3) The OP asked for opinions, so my opinion was well within the guidelines of this topic. Again, you encompass tunnel vision when trying to state your points and fail to see the obvious.

4) Assumption; unfounded. Petitio Principii; in other words, begging the question. Fallacy of presumption. You won't be a good lawyer making unfounded and erroneous accusations.

5) You have no idea what a sociopath is; a sociopath is or was often in trouble with the law at an early age in life, a sociopath often acts on impulse (I do not), a sociopath entails antisocial personality characteristics, etc... Those traits do not fit my character as I do not exhibit anything a sociopath exhibits other than arrogance which everyone has to some degree. Again, you commit various fallacies within your posts. Try to limit them.

6) Because I am not likable on this site does not mean I will also be unlikable in the field of law outside of the internet. You are obviously making a generalization based on your own assumption which is another fallacy. Try again.

7) "If you were intelligent enough, you might convince them of your world view." Quite the contrary. People who believed in flat Earth still existed in the 80s with the flat Earth Society. People who still believe blacks are genetically inferior to Caucasians, still hold onto their views despite biological facts. People who still believe in extraterrestrial life forms being superior to humans are still prevalent despite various physics and cosmological facts pointing to the contrary.  People still believe homosexuals are committing a grave sin are still prevalent. People who believe abortions are acts of murder are still prevalent. The point of all this? You obviously have a lot of learning to do before coming at me with weak statements attempting to attack my character.

I won't say much aside from what you have posted. You have shown, on two occasions, instances of tunnel vision, you are either too angry thus clouded, or have a limited reasoning capacity. Either way, construct better arguments, limit the fallacies, and be more intuitive. I love arguing so bring your A game or don't respond.

cmd758

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2010, 12:18:36 AM »
Sorry, I actually have a life and real problems and don't need to pretend that I have either on the Internet to fill a void. If I was actually going to gain anything by arguing you about the value of the construction of my arguments or what defines a good argument versus what defines a fallacy, I have no doubt that I would crush you. However, this is not the case. I would merely be wasting my time and I have a job, an ill family member, interests, and activities.  Whether anything I say can be interpreted as a red herring or not, I realize that you're young and idealistic and as such, a waste of my time. You took my initial statement of "then why do you feed into it?" the wrong way. Which, at the time, was not meant to enrage you. I only meant "just ignore them." However, if it could be interpreted as an "argument," let's just say your initial response to me was what they call an Ad Hominem Abusive, which is at best, a weak argument. I concede that I did argue in much the same way after your initial attack on me, but again, I had been working several hours in a row and you pretty much just got on my nerves because I sort of felt badly for you before our initial encounter. I then realized you have been asking for it and are just arguing pointlessly about topics and issues that have no bearing on anything that has to do with law school.

Please just move on and quit arguing. Perhaps you will learn when you get older that you might be able to memorize Pi to 1000 digits and (yes, that means you do have a superior ability in that discipline), but your chosen method of intellectual expression in that case has no value. It adds nothing to your life and no one cares.

PS. A definition of a disorder or a disease is not a list of symptoms. If I have a cold, but I do not have a cough- I still have a cold. Even if I display no symptoms, that doesn't mean that I don't have a cold. However, I will probably at least display one symptom.

sonofapickle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2010, 12:54:59 AM »
So, I have no interests, hardly anything to do, and short, no life in general. I am a nerd and that means nothing in regards to life. You could crush me in a debate on fallacious reasoning. I am too young to understand, thus it would be inane to argue with me due to my age and your lack of interest. That pretty much sums up the post.

I can relate to you having an ill family member. My mother was ill and diagnosed with graves disease. So, I hope it all works out because it is rather disheartening to see a family member go through pain everyday. My best wishes.

I do know why people attack me but I will not change to the norms of this site. I as well as many others are opinionated, but I am open to reason and views others may have. That does not mean someone is unlikable in life. In fact, I am well received/liked by people due to my own passion for things of interest which is one of the reasons I am going into law is because of my passion to not only argue but of other aspects. I'll leave this topic with that said.

P.S. Earl has been a jackass towards me since I first joined under my other account.

cmd758

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2010, 01:12:47 AM »
Sorry about your mother. It's my mother too.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2010, 08:53:03 AM »
If you try to perform surgery and have no knowledge of surgicial procedure or haven't practiced in twenty years so have therefore forgotten how to perform surgery, you're not doing anyone any good. If you could refresh your memory in a quick lesson or could work hard to learn the necessary skills, that will be the true measure of your surgical abilities. What is the point of wasting your time trying to measure your abilities when you have no knowledge when it can be easily ascertained?

But why tangent. I notice people here tend to get in long philosophical and irrelevant arguments on these threads. No one here is REALLY the lawyer type, huh? ;-)

when you say "long," not need defind terms?  and what so bad philosophy?  relevancy truly in eye of beholder.

discuss.

sonofapickle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2010, 01:19:29 PM »
I disagree. There are people who have the innate ability to perform surgeries well, but they need to cultivate that same ability in order to perform it on people. If a man has been out of practice for 'x' amount of time and his skills diminished in that area, then he will need a bit of practice before going back into surgery. He is cut out for surgery but he might be a bit rusty when performing on humans, thus causing a human to die due to a mistake made within surgery. Practice will get him back to being good at surgery.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2010, 11:21:22 PM »
P.S. Earl has been a jackass towards me since I first joined under my other account.

You're right, and I shouldn't have.  I should have banned you for being a troll.  You've gotten more than your fair share of reported posts, and I've let you stay anyway.  I've decided to continue to do so at this point, but I'll leave it to the other mods to decide whether they agree with me.  I doubt many tears would be shed if you disappeared.

John1990

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2010, 12:11:43 AM »
Just giving this thread a quick one over and wow, it has wondered a little. 
Jeffort, dont worry im not going to become obsessed with lsat prep, i want to be able to spread it out over a long time though so i will be in good shape without having to cram.  Also, just because i am starting now does not mean i am going to continue throughout the two years, it is very likely that i will wonder in there.  But, thats okay because i have all this time to play with. 
I got the books yesterday and sat down to take the first preptest tonight and scored a 150.  Obviously i have a lot of work to do.  I was blown away by the speed of the test and ended up guessing on almost a dozen questions.  Those logic games are TRICKY and i have no idea runner G is in, hopefully the bibles will help me out there.

cmd758

« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2010, 01:42:25 AM »
Just remember, you can learn a lot by just learning the methods. It gets a lot easier.

arcin220

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2010, 11:13:05 PM »
You guys are Great!  I love that people are arguing about arguing.  That's awesome!  All the tragedies in the world and you pick to argue about nothing and who can do it better using big words and all.  The passion just flows from your posts and if you could bottle it and send it to apathetics around the world there would be so much more accomplished!  I applaud you all in your efforts to show random people that you will never meet and that truly have no interest in what you say how good of an arguer you are,  I for one find it more comical than anything else!  In the midst of me studying for the LSAT I thought I would come on here and see if there was anything interesting, I didn't know I would get a comedy show.  Thanks for the laughs, I needed it!