Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Part-Time v Full-Time Admission  (Read 3008 times)

shiba61

• View Profile
Part-Time v Full-Time Admission
« on: May 25, 2010, 06:29:14 PM »
I was wondering if anyone knows: Are the odds better to get into a part time program than they are for a full time program.?

cooleylawstudent

Re: Part-Time v Full-Time Admission
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 09:45:36 PM »
depends on if you work, have a family, stuff like that.

In theory any time you focus on two classes instead of five you will have more study time to focus on those subjects, but it takes 5 years of your life instead of just 2 as well.

chi2009

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 02:08:11 PM »
I was wondering if anyone knows: Are the odds better to get into a part time program than they are for a full time program.?

It may be slightly easier to get into a part time program, but if you don't work or have a family, they're going to wonder why you want to go part time.  There are also far fewer seats in a part time program, so the odds kind of even out in the end.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 07:05:40 PM »
can't  you apply to both?

chi2009

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 10:13:53 AM »
can't  you apply to both?

Yes you can; you just have to check the process for each particular school.  Some let you apply to both with the same application and some require two separate applications.  I don't understand why the same school needs duplicate info, but that's what I had to do.

shiba61

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 12:35:35 PM »
I would be coming back to law school after a dismissal.  I was diagnosed with ADHD and figured a part time program may be better for me to start off with.  That would be the main reason I would apply to a part time program.  I don't know if that's a strong enough reason for admissions offices. 

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 11:32:14 PM »
did you get diagnosed before or after your first time in lawschool. If its was letant and just appeared in lawschool it may help. Many campus's pride themselves on being symothetic to disabilities. Was it a newly discovered thing? Why didnt you have the problem in undergrad or if you did how did you overcome it better then than now?

I would be coming back to law school after a dismissal.  I was diagnosed with ADHD and figured a part time program may be better for me to start off with.  That would be the main reason I would apply to a part time program.  I don't know if that's a strong enough reason for admissions offices.

reltub_md

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 02:21:44 AM »
PT program that I'm in does not have different admission standards.  It is just as, if not more, competitive than the day program.

shiba61

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 03:08:32 PM »

I was diagnosed after my first time in law school.  It went undiagnosed my entire life, after the dismissal I knew something was wrong. I always did ok in school, but made a lot of careless mistakes, no teacher bothered to think that was a problem.  So, since the diagnosis I've been on meds and have been taught techniques to focus when studying. 

I'm not looking at a part-time program in terms of the work being easier.  My focus is to get my foot in the door and prove myself then. 

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 05:17:28 PM »
Just be honest, provide proof and I wish you the best of luck. Let us know how it works in the end.

Worst Case scenario,  have you considered the self paced lawschool that you can practice in CA with?

I was diagnosed after my first time in law school.  It went undiagnosed my entire life, after the dismissal I knew something was wrong. I always did ok in school, but made a lot of careless mistakes, no teacher bothered to think that was a problem.  So, since the diagnosis I've been on meds and have been taught techniques to focus when studying. 

I'm not looking at a part-time program in terms of the work being easier.  My focus is to get my foot in the door and prove myself then.