Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: PT 5 First Game  (Read 473 times)

aeaizenman

• View Profile
PT 5 First Game
« on: May 25, 2010, 01:04:53 PM »
can someone help me with the mapping of this type of game? Thanks!

KaplanLSATInstructor

• View Profile
Re: PT 5 First Game
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 03:47:26 PM »
I assume you're referring to the game with courses and grades.

Since the game basically asks you to order the courses from highest grade to lowest grade, you'll want to set up the courses (e, g, h, i, p, r) in some kind of sequence. However, it's important to note that there are only five possible grades -- so the guy will have to receive the same grade in at least two courses. Also, there's no restriction that each grade will be accounted for. For all we know, John gets all As and Bs.

The first and last rules combine to tell you that geology and physics must get consecutive grades, in that order. Italian and Russian will get consecutive grades, in either order. And economics will get a higher grade than history -- but not necessarily consecutive:

gp
ir or ri
e...h

Notice that, other than the first and last rules, there is no way to connect these rules -- they're all independent of one another. So, each pair of courses could get grades of A and B. Or, it could be scattered (e.g., Geo and Phys gets A and B, Ital. and Russ. get D and E, econ. and hist. get A and D).

When questions provide relationships between these pairs, combine them to form deductions.

For example, look at the first question: econ. and Ital get the same grade, and John fails Russian. That means Russian gets E. Since Italian is consecutive with Russian, Italian gets a D. For this question then, so does econ. Since Econ gets a higher grade than history, history gets an E. In summary, John gets a D in Italian and Economy, and an E in Russian and History. Answer (C) matches the deductions. (Note that, because the question said nothing about geology or physics, those two course could have gotten ANY pair of consecutive grades.)

HTH

- Chris

aeaizenman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 10:01:07 AM »
Thank you for your reply. I understand the game and was able to answer all the questions correctly, my issue is with the diagram. E.g. which variables are the base (courses or grades) if grades how do I account for the fact that more than one course can have the same grade etc.

Cambridge LSAT

• View Profile
    • Cambridge LSAT
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 11:54:55 AM »
When any particular grade is given for more than one class, just stack the additional classes vertically. Since the number of classes per grade is wide open, start with one set of dashes for all the grades, and add more as needed. For example, here's the diagram for #1:

aeaizenman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 10:50:51 AM »
perfect thanks!