Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Entering in the Fall '10  (Read 2451 times)

DJCC

• View Profile
    • Email
Entering in the Fall '10
« on: May 23, 2010, 05:43:47 PM »
Hey,

I'm most likely going to FCSL this Fall, unless Marquette or Tennessee takes me from their waiting list.

Just curious to see if anybody else was planning on going there.

IMDBATTY

• View Profile
Re: Entering in the Fall '10
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 01:55:38 AM »
Looking forward to it.  Anyone else? 

trippstrat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 05:03:54 PM »
Yes,  I will also be attending FCSL in August.  Has anyone heard any details about orientation yet?

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 02:35:51 AM »
Just want to give you guys some encouragement and let you know the best intern in our office goes to FCSL. He is a really cool dude and likes it there a lot. Well good luck to you guys.

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 04:31:53 PM »
I just finished my 1L year at FCSL and am willing to try to answer any questions you all have.

If your orientation is like the one last year, you'll watch a bunch of videos on youtube at home and then meet at FCSL for a 1 day orientation where they will give you a tour, the heads of the different sections of the school will give presentations, etc.

trippstrat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 06:52:10 PM »
Thanks Bigs 5068 and Cicero.  I received an email yesterday that explained that part of the orientation will be online.  It starts on the 12th of this month. 

Cicero,  if you don't mind, I have a couple of questions.  How hard is it to get a job after your first year?  Are there many paying jobs?  Also, how does the job market seem to be for recent FCSL graduates?  I've heard that it is pretty bad, but this may be true nowadays for many law schools.  Thanks.

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 07:47:13 PM »
I'm afraid I can't really give you a complete answer to your question. I don't know that you will get one until the new stats come out, since the previous ones were from before the law bubble burst.

I will say that the Career Services Department at FCSL is excellent. I've talked to students at other schools and it sounds like the people in the FCSL CSD are willing to work with students much more than other the CSD at other schools. The CSD will go over your resume with you, give you helpful links based on your legal interests, give you contact info if they have it, do mock interviews with you, etc. You will also be able to look for jobs through Symplicity, and they will have another set of videos for you to watch after the 1st semester that walk you through how to use it.

As to 1L summer jobs, there are some out there; however, I only know few people who have paying jobs. A lot of the people from my section are volunteering at the PD's office or elsewhere or are taking summer classes. I personally chose to volunteer (after talking to career services) this summer because I'm transferring out and didn't want to start work during finals time or burn any bridges when I left. I think that if you want to find some sort of summer work, that you will be able to find something, but there is a good chance that you will be a  volunteer.

Where I volunteer, there are also some 2Ls volunteering, but they didn't get any legal experience their first summer. From what I understand, you will not likely find a 2L summer job through OCI because the few employers that come to FCSL almost exclusively interview the top 5-10% and prefer people who are going to be or are part of moot court & law review. The school will tell you themselves that only 5% or less (I don't remember the exact percentage) will get jobs through OCI, and that most students find employment through Symplicity, personal connections, networking, etc.

As to 3L jobs, I'm not sure. That answer would go back up to the 1st paragraph. It may also depend on the bar passage rate. The July passage rate should be a lot better than December (60%). They usually get about 82-85% in July. I doubt the outlook for job hunting is good in Jacksonville. I did get a chance to talk to former FCSL students who found employment after graduation during a round table dinner the school provided for certain students. These students seemed very happy with their FCSL experience and were able to find jobs quickly. These were also the students who were in LR/MC/top 10%. They did say that many of their class mates weren't faring so well.

I think that jobs are going to be hard to get for awhile (and not just for students graduating from FCSL), but if you make sure that you get good experience while in school, network, do very well in your classes, etc., you will have a good chance of finding some sort of legal job when you graduate. Do realize that the class sizes at FCSL keep getting bigger and bigger and the number of jobs in Jax and elsewhere is shrinking, so you may want to try to get experience in other cities like Tallahassee or another state if you are planning to leave FL. FCSL is flooding the FL market with more lawyers than it can support. (It is a for profit law school.) Finding a job when you graduate will ultimately be on your shoulders.

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 08:05:43 PM »
On a positive note not having to do with employment, most of the profs at FCSL are excellent. The teachers seem to bend over backwards trying to help the students succeed. If you have questions or trouble with any of the class material, they will meet with you or answer e-mail. Many of them hold review sessions or get TAs to hold them. It is pretty common for profs to give example multiple choice questions in classes to help you better understand the material (these teachers will require you to buy CPS clickers). A lot of the profs will give out sample final exam essay questions and some will let you attempt an answer that they will critique for you.

It's not just the profs that seem to be that helpful. The school itself seems to have a "hold your hand" attitude the 1st semester. During your 1st semester, you will also have to take a course called PASS (no credit). This course is extremely boring at times, but you should go to all of the classes, even the ones that are not required (which were actually the most helpful classes) and pay attention. In PASS you will learn how to craft your final exam answers.

Another positive thing about FCSL is the student culture. There may be some cutthroat sections, but most of the students in my section weren't like that. Most students are willing to help each other out and you won't see a bunch of missing books or books with pages torn out.

rissa20

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 12:12:37 AM »
I'm also entering Fall '10 and looking forward to it.

trippstrat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 09:02:50 PM »
Cicero,

Thanks for all of the helpful information.  That really gives me a better idea of what to expect.  I'm looking forward to it.