Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Temple or Villanova?  (Read 780 times)

ayellowrose

• View Profile
Temple or Villanova?
« on: May 21, 2010, 04:16:31 PM »
I got burned in my application cycle, but I'm currently deciding between Temple and Villanova, with the hopes to transfer at the end of 1L.

I am interested in international law with an emphasis on China/Asian law.  Temple has a LLM program with Beijing for an extra semester. The program is run by  Mo Zhang who is known for his academic work in Chinese Law.  Villanova has an LLM program in Singapore where you spend 2 years at Villanova and 1 year in Singapore, followed by work in Shanghai/Beijing.  Villanova has two professors who are Fulbright scholars in China and Taiwan, but they do not specialize in Chinese law.  There is no extra semester at Villanova.  Temple has an International Law Journal, Villanova does not. 

Temple is in Philadelphia but in a bad neighborhood, Villanova is in (boring) suburbia but is safe and has a new building.

Both schools have similar rankings, Temple is US & News ranked for it's Trial Advocacy program.

Does anyone know about the strength of each school's alumni base?

Where should I go?? Thank you.

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Temple or Villanova?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 04:16:42 PM »
I don't know a lot about either school.  I do happen to know this guy http://www.law.temple.edu/servlet/com.rnci.products.DataModules.RetrievePage?site=TempleLaw&page=N_Faculty_Dunoff_Main at Temple (he visited at HLS and I took a couple of his classes) and he is truly an exceptional professor.  His focus is on international trade and global economic governance issues. 

The Beijing LLM thing sounds promising.

I wouldn't bank on transferring - the odds are against you, but its always a possibility. It would probably be unwise to go to a school that you'd be unhappy graduating from.  Bill Alford (http://www.law.harvard.edu/faculty/directory/index.html?id=1) is at HLS and is said to be the top western scholar on Chinese law. I haven't taken classes with him, but have had some interaction and he seems to be exceptionally nice, friendly and truly interested in working with students.  He's heavily involved with the international community and LLM program at HLS as well.
HLS 2010