Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Dec 96-1-13  (Read 332 times)

hellokelly

• View Profile
    • Email
Dec 96-1-13
« on: May 19, 2010, 10:47:11 PM »
For this question, D is correct since it negated the conclusion made by astronomers. But how could we know that IT IS A CAUSE? Why we can't think it is not the cause at all? what's wrong with C? Is it out of the scope?
thx!! 8) 8) 8) 8)

ssilver0210

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Silverman Bar Preparation
    • Email
Re: Dec 96-1-13
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 10:01:37 PM »
Choice D tells us that the gravitational pull of Pluto is not the sole cause of Neptune's irregular orbit.  This does not necessarily mean that it is a a cause at all.  In other words, I could say that my praying for rain is not the sole cause of the rain storm.  That statement could mean that it's not the only cause, but could also mean that it's not a cause at all.

In any case, though, choice D is correct here because it was originally thought that Neptune's orbit was caused by the the gravitational pull exerted on it by Pluto.  We then learned that Pluto is too small to exert that kind of pull.  Yet, Neptune is still orbiting.  If Neptune is still orbiting, and Pluto is too small to be exerting the kind of pull necessary to cause the orbit, then there must be some other contributing cause to Neptune's orbit, which is what choice D tells us.
I provide tutoring both for the LSAT and the MBE at very reasonable rates.  I provide a free hour to all students to try out the tutoring.  Feel free to contact me at silvermanbarprep@gmail.com for tutoring inquires or to set up a free lesson. Visit my blog @ http://www.mbetutorial.blogspot.com

hellokelly

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 05:03:59 PM »
thank you!!! ;D ;D ;D

ssilver0210

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Silverman Bar Preparation
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 10:41:26 PM »
Glad I could help  ;D
I provide tutoring both for the LSAT and the MBE at very reasonable rates.  I provide a free hour to all students to try out the tutoring.  Feel free to contact me at silvermanbarprep@gmail.com for tutoring inquires or to set up a free lesson. Visit my blog @ http://www.mbetutorial.blogspot.com