Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need Study Tips...HELP!  (Read 499 times)

stressed_asian

• View Profile
Need Study Tips...HELP!
« on: May 18, 2010, 08:34:12 PM »
This upcoming September I will be taking the LSAT for the second time. I took a Testmasters class last summer and took the LSAT in December, obtaining a 158. I was not satisfied at all as I was scoring in the upper 160s on most of my diags.

So I am taking it again in September this year. However, I am going to be a University senior and the mix of life, girlfriend, and responsibilities with a student org which I am president of (the largest on campus) is destroying my impetus to study. I feel like I can't push myself to be studying as much as my parents want me to (9 AM - 5 PM every day for the whole summer) and I have no motivation to lock myself up as when I am locked up in a room my mind starts to think about all my worries and such.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice for someone like me. What should I be doing to get into the groove of things? I have all of Testmasters books and a lot of practice exams. HELP before I go madd..

Jeffort

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT Tutor
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Discussion - Free LSAT Logical Reasoning Question Type Finder Utility
    • Email
Re: Need Study Tips...HELP!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 09:03:09 PM »
This upcoming September I will be taking the LSAT for the second time. I took a Testmasters class last summer and took the LSAT in December, obtaining a 158. I was not satisfied at all as I was scoring in the upper 160s on most of my diags.

So I am taking it again in September this year. However, I am going to be a University senior and the mix of life, girlfriend, and responsibilities with a student org which I am president of (the largest on campus) is destroying my impetus to study. I feel like I can't push myself to be studying as much as my parents want me to (9 AM - 5 PM every day for the whole summer) and I have no motivation to lock myself up as when I am locked up in a room my mind starts to think about all my worries and such.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice for someone like me. What should I be doing to get into the groove of things? I have all of Testmasters books and a lot of practice exams. HELP before I go madd..

If you don't have the motivation and drive to put in the required work, nobody can give that to you.  If you really want to excel on the LSAT, gain admission to a good Law School and pursue a career in the law, the motivation should be there.
From your post it sounds like you are not really sure if you want to pursue Law School, otherwise, if you are seriously dedicated to that goal, you should be going gangbusters on the study routine to improve your admissions prospects. 

Seriously, you should reflect on this deeply and talk to some academic guidance counselors and perhaps some LS students and students aiming for LS to get more of a feel for what it is all about so you can decide if it is something you would really be happy doing.  If you are having trouble getting yourself to sit down with LSAT books to prep for the test, you are likely going to have big problems in LS if you get there.  The volume of reading and study time for LSAT prep pales in comparison to the amount of dedicated solitary (yes, you by yourself in a room with mountains of books and papers) reading and study time required to do well in Law School. 

If you are not into that type of thing and prefer/are happier doing things that are more social in nature (like your student organization), being out and about with your GF and friends all the time, etc., LS may not be the right thing for you.  Seriously, LS = lots of time alone reading lots of books and writing lots of stuff.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 12:00:06 AM »
That's what a lot of the fetus's on this board don't seem to get, you can "ASSume" that you'll get a 170(but my self proctored study tests.... :'(  )

sonofapickle

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 12:34:51 AM »
I have not taken the test yet, but I have a good understanding of all of the concepts within the test.

How did you study? As for me, I mostly focused on the concepts of Logic games and Logical reasoning. I have been taking many PT's and feel as though I could score high on the test, but that is just my opinion and hardly holds any merit until actual test day. I have been studying for a while now and feel that logic games are pretty much second nature and logical reasoning is something I am good with. After getting the concepts down and the different types of games on the test close to mastery, I then focused more on how to attack each one and looking for similar patterns on the tests.

I feel for you though that you were scoring in the 160s and then on test day scored a 158. As for the poster above it really depends on his mood, whether he was tired or not, had adequate time to prepare for the test, and actually studied. You can score well on PT's but if you do not fully understand the concepts, you will possibly score lower.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 01:13:12 AM »
take it,then give advice. Anything else is just guessing.