Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2L Summer Reflection  (Read 352 times)

aglittman

• View Profile
    • Email
2L Summer Reflection
« on: May 18, 2010, 04:41:35 PM »
This week I started working for a small firm (for my 2L summer), and although I have done fairly well at a top-50 school, I really do not feel like law school has prepared me for actual legal practice.  Does anyone sympathize?     

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2L Summer Reflection
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 05:10:43 PM »
I don't think school really prepares you in any subject for the real world. I worked as a paralegal for two years before going to law school and that made everybody I interviewed for very excited, because I knew about all the b.s. paperwork, dealing with ridiculous client, etc you have to deal with in the real world. There is also a lot more pressure in the real world in anything, because if you screw up in school maybe you get a C.  If you screw up in the real world you can cost people a lot of money and as an attorney potentially really mess up someone's life. I just think school in any subject is a lot more glamorous than the real world and the only way to really learn to be effective in any profession is through actual experience. School is just the first and most basic step, but you have to do it.