Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Prospective Lawyer (Last leg of Senior Year in HS)  (Read 3330 times)

Ambitious

• View Profile
    • Email
Prospective Lawyer (Last leg of Senior Year in HS)
« on: May 17, 2010, 07:04:26 AM »
Hello, I am currently a high school senior at an international school in Japan and for now I've set my course towards getting into law school in the United States. I'm planning to attend a community college for two years starting from Fall '10 and I am planning to transfer into a UC school, preferably Los Angeles, then going to the law school there. I'm planning to major in Political Science as that seems to be a popular major for prospective law students to take.

I'll be moving back to Los Angeles, California this summer and I would really appreciate it if I can get any advice on what I should start doing. I am an American citizen but I've been out of touch with the states for a while and I want to get an idea of what I should be doing now to help me get into law school. Should I start volunteering? Are there any programs that would assist me? Any organizations I should be joining?

Right now I'm focused on working hard at community college so that I can transfer into a good 4 year college, but there definitely has to be more to that to get into a good law school so I wish to know what.

I'm also interested in joining the JAG Corps in the Marines after law school, so I was wondering if there were any available programs that could help me in that field as well.

Thank you.

cooleylawstudent

Re: Prospective Lawyer (Last leg of Senior Year in HS)
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 11:44:26 AM »
volunteering is always good, but your GPA and lsat are the top issues. If you want in jag, consider enlisting into ROTC as a Jag assistant(paralegal) i the reserves to pay for college and then when you finish your BA, go to your JD and then you can be a lawyer in JAG.

Ambitious

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 06:19:04 PM »
Thank you obstupefacere. But doesn't joining the ROTC mean that you are obligated to serve immediately after you graduate from the 4 year college? Is there a way to get an extension to purely focus on getting my JD and then serving?

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 09:16:23 PM »
The first two years of ROTC dont require you to enlist yet but pay for a few classes and give you a good feel for it.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 10:13:21 PM »
http://www.vajoe.com 

There are a lot of veterans (and lawyers) on the forum above that may be able to help.
look into cgaux,sdf,cap, those may help too. (many of the posters there are in them too)

Ambitious

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 03:36:10 AM »
Thank you for the info. I'll check up on that site.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 05:37:25 AM »
Should I start volunteering? Are there any programs that would assist me? Any organizations I should be joining?

I don't think there are particular volunteer positions, programs, or organizations that it is important to join.  I think it's more important to find and get involved in something you're passionate about.  Just my $.02.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 10:52:54 AM »
Lots of free legal aid offices that have legal interns from lawschool let prelaw do stuff there too to a more limited role.

Ambitious

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 07:11:25 PM »
Obstupefacere, will these intern opportunities require me to possess a certain skill before I am eligible for an intern? Do I have to be in my latter 2 years of undergraduate to join?

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 09:32:30 PM »
It varies per volunteer opportunity. What state are you in? What major town are you near? Do you own your own transporation?