Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of South Dakota School of Law  (Read 2086 times)

Lilush

• View Profile
    • Email
University of South Dakota School of Law
« on: May 16, 2010, 05:18:21 PM »
Is anyone thinking about applying to USD for next year? What are your thoughts? Is it worth it?
I currently reside in Denver, Colorado and USD is my second choice after DU but I haven't read many reviews regarding it here.
I know it is located in a smaller town but I believe for me it would be a benefit since I would concentrate on my studies.  Besides, tuition and living expenses are cheaper than in other towns.  Other than that, I am not sure what other benefits USD offers.
Would I be able to find a job in Colorado after passing the Bar?

cooleylawstudent

Re: University of South Dakota School of Law
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 09:32:46 PM »
depends on where you want to work. As a general rule, yeah. unless the school in unaccredited why wouldnt you be able to?

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 10:58:27 AM »
Is anyone thinking about applying to USD for next year? What are your thoughts? Is it worth it?
I currently reside in Denver, Colorado and USD is my second choice after DU but I haven't read many reviews regarding it here.
I know it is located in a smaller town but I believe for me it would be a benefit since I would concentrate on my studies.  Besides, tuition and living expenses are cheaper than in other towns.  Other than that, I am not sure what other benefits USD offers.
Would I be able to find a job in Colorado after passing the Bar?

Research what schools place into the denver market.  I believe Denver, CU Boulder, Arizona, Brigham Young...these are better choices than North Dakota.

And research the attrition and bar passage rates. as well as your costs for leaving the state, if if it's a public school.

I wouldn't go to South Dakota unless my goal was working in South Dakota.

Boulder is also a small town and would allow you to focus on your studies, not to mention hop the express back to Denver if that's where you're from.

Do lots of research on where SD students tend to go.

Lilush

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 09:43:40 PM »
Thank you very much for the replies.  I am actually thinking about applying to DU and SD is my next choice if I don't get accepted to DU.  To tell you the truth I have no clue where I would practice.  I live in Denver but if there are better prospects in SD, I am willing to relocate. 
The tuition is also much cheaper than DU.   I will definitely do more research and find out a bit more about the school.

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 01:15:10 PM »
Thank you very much for the replies.  I am actually thinking about applying to DU and SD is my next choice if I don't get accepted to DU.  To tell you the truth I have no clue where I would practice.  I live in Denver but if there are better prospects in SD, I am willing to relocate. 
The tuition is also much cheaper than DU.   I will definitely do more research and find out a bit more about the school.

But that the thing you have to find out if the CURRENT 2009-2010 market in SD has better prospects than Denver.  And in what fields of law.  And if those fields, if any, are fields you would be interested in.

Where you would practice = where you would love to live for 40 years.  Go by that.  Picture what you like doing in your spare time and where in America you can best/easiest/cheapest get that done.

That area or areas is where you want to practice law, so when you get home from work you can do what you want to do.  And that area is where you should attend law school, or whatever school has a strong feed into that area, unless you are in a T14.

Some people leave the east coast and go to school in Cali for that reason.

Lilush

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 06:22:08 PM »
Thank you Legalized.
I recently moved to Denver from Toronto and I live in a smaller town a bit outside of Denver.  In the beginning it was rather difficult to get used to a smaller town but I absolutely love it.  That is the reason why I would like to chose smaller towns versus bigger towns in California or New York.
I am interested in criminal law but the problem is that I do not have much experience in the legal field, therefore I am not sure if that is the field that I would like to get into after I graduate from Law School. 
After I take the LSAT I am planning on visiting the school in order to get a better idea.  Right now I am solely concentrating on getting a good score.

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 09:08:19 PM »
Thank you Legalized.
I recently moved to Denver from Toronto and I live in a smaller town a bit outside of Denver.  In the beginning it was rather difficult to get used to a smaller town but I absolutely love it.  That is the reason why I would like to chose smaller towns versus bigger towns in California or New York.
I am interested in criminal law but the problem is that I do not have much experience in the legal field, therefore I am not sure if that is the field that I would like to get into after I graduate from Law School. 
After I take the LSAT I am planning on visiting the school in order to get a better idea.  Right now I am solely concentrating on getting a good score.

No problem.

Here's how you find out what the real criminal law is like without begging a job right now:  go to the Denver Bar's and the South Dakota Bar's websites.  Then do an Attorney Search (every attorney admitted to the bar is listed...in my state they are italicized -- but still listed! -- if they are deceased.

Search for criminal lawyers if it allows you to refine the search that much.  If you can, narrow it down to ones in your zip code. or in a downtown denver zip code or area like Cherry Creek or something.  If you like small town practice and living though it's best to search within your town.

If not, just head to the good old yellow pages, find the criminal law section, and "let your fingers do the talking!"  I've started my own mini-campaign to get it from the horse's mouth advice lawyers in the fields I am interested in--what they wish they had known when trying to get into law school and during law school, best things to do while in law school to get a leg up on the job thing, pros and cons of my field(s) of interest...I did one formal interview so far, but once I am done with my LSATs I'll be getting at least one done every week.   I will have them organized by what school they got their JD from.  I am tired of the lack of information in the news outside of "biglaw's sky is falling! RUN!" and "PD work has waiting lines a mile long; gov't wants to see biglaw exp. on your resume (loop back to the first quote)"...the minor percent of legal hiring sources are getting the major percent of news coverage. Over. and. Over.  Apparently if I want actual news I have to go get it myself. /sarcasm

sonofapickle

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 09:39:18 PM »
When I saw this thread, I immediately started to laugh. Employer: "well, I see we have more applications today. This one is interesting, nice, nice, nice, college of law... SOUTH DAKOTA!!! LMFAO!!!" That is exactly what an employer would do when seeing such a resume. Do yourself a favor and go to another University like Chicago, or something within the top 300.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 09:43:10 PM »
Remind me which Ivy leagues are within driving distance to your daddy's house? You made it very clear that you are too scared to go beyond that.
What Ivy League options does that give you? (even though you admitted your father is too patheticly poor to afford it anyways)

When I saw this thread, I immediately started to laugh. Employer: "well, I see we have more applications today. This one is interesting, nice, nice, nice, college of law... SOUTH DAKOTA!!! LMFAO!!!" That is exactly what an employer would do when seeing such a resume. Do yourself a favor and go to another University like Chicago, or something within the top 300.

sonofapickle

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 09:53:28 PM »
Pathetically poor? I don't think putting your kid through prep-schools 30k/year and a private school that is 45k/year out of pocket as being poor. You're a black dude at a community college for law on financial aid who had to work as a prison guard and go to the military because you could not afford college. You're so dumb it is funny. I don't take what I have for granted as I could be like you starving, living off of ramen noodles with hopes and dreams of becoming a lawyer. Sorry to break it to you kid, but that is for the movies. Only those smart enough and with backing can become lawyers. You'll end up cleaning cum off of toilets at the local McDonald's all because some hooker wanted to give your boss a bathroom gurgle.