Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Asians-URM  (Read 1238 times)

cooleylawstudent

Asians-URM
« on: May 15, 2010, 08:31:06 PM »
People keep claiming asians aren't URM's but then why would the ABA themselves go out of their way to add them to their OFFICAL list of what is an URM?

more at http://lsac.org/SpecialInterests/minorities-in-legal-education-faq.asp

Those wondering what's considered a URM for law school purposes...I would guess it's the minorities they track, as shown here:

http://lsac.org/SpecialInterests/minorities-in-legal-education-min-enroll.asp

cooleylawstudent

Re: Asians-URM
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 08:33:37 PM »
I'll be nice, but it's a decent question and worth asking. I hope by makeing a new thread just for it specicly it(and in the minority section) it won't be mistaken for a "flame".
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nealric
Global Moderator
Sr. Citizen

a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez

Re: Dear URMs (from the LSAC)
Reply #8 on: Today at 09:17:42 PM  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(-;}: Please stop starting flame wars. I'm tired of locking threads. 

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
Re: Asians-URM
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 01:54:54 AM »
I'm marrying an Asian with an LLB who speaks 4 languages fluently and I'm a US attorney. Incidentally I'm living in her country where whites are definitely a huge minority - so for now I'm a URM.

Anyway, they are URM and since they typically do very well in school, they should receive a huge affirmative action boost because they beat the pants off almost everybody (yes, my fiancee is very smart - although she continuously denies she's smarter than me). In other words, they don't need URM status because they are typically so academically proficient. Meritocracy suits them well - as it should everybody IMHO - but if people insist on AA, give it to them in huge doses.
Freak is the best, Freak is the best!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I don't like calling you Freak, I'd rather call you  Normal Nice Guy.