Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need some Opinions - BU(20K/yr) vs Northwestern  (Read 775 times)

kman999

• View Profile
Need some Opinions - BU(20K/yr) vs Northwestern
« on: May 11, 2010, 12:14:00 PM »
Hello All,

I am deciding between the two and although it seems that if I do alright at either school I can land a solid job that pays well.

Now what pulls me towards Northwestern is the ability to draw on its other schools for a dual-degree. This opportunity is not the same at BU. Also for someone eventually interested in Academia, Northwestern may also work out slightly better.

I would love to work in Chicago or Boston so geograhpy is not an issue. Thanks!

violaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Need some Opinions - BU(20K/yr) vs Northwestern
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 01:22:58 PM »
Haven't the deposit deadlines already passed...? Anywho, NU.

kman999

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 01:46:51 PM »
Yeah it was a waitlist acceptance.  But thanks. 

violaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 02:34:23 PM »
Have you visited both? I really liked both when I visited (except for the whole 20 something story building at BU). Just do what feels right to you.

sonofapickle

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 01:43:22 AM »
Do the pros and cons list. If you are someone who will be interested in academia down the road like you mentioned, and the other school does not have the dual program your are looking for, choose the one that has one. That is not all you need to take in, but (I know I have not been admitted to law school but I heard many people saying the same thing and I decided to regurgitate their words) you also need to drop in a class and see how well the professors instruct their material. That is exactly what I did when choosing the college I attend now.

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 02:56:07 PM »
You may want to look fairly closely at employment prospects.  I think you are probably a bit over-optimistic that landing a solid well paying job is easy if you do alright.  If you do extraordinarily well your shots aren't terrible, but anything less than that and I wouldn't count on being able to make much in the first few years. The legal market is just really lousy right now and there are enough unemployed or underemployed lawyers in the pipeline I don't see things turning around any time soon.

Legal academia can be a great life, but from all accounts most legal faculties are exceptionally picky about credentials and brand-name schools.  If you are serious about legal academia it may be worth doing whatever it takes to land HYS.  If your academic interests are other than legal, then focus primarily on that other field and pickup a jd if you've nothing better to do.  A PhD will help quite a lot with legal academia provided that it is related and you write something decent (particularly if you get your jd somewhere other than hys).  I'm also interested in legal academia and have been looking at this quite a bit - I don't argue that the current system is as it should be, just stating my observations of how things are.
HLS 2010

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 09:13:13 PM »
You may want to look fairly closely at employment prospects.  I think you are probably a bit over-optimistic that landing a solid well paying job is easy if you do alright.  If you do extraordinarily well your shots aren't terrible, but anything less than that and I wouldn't count on being able to make much in the first few years. The legal market is just really lousy right now and there are enough unemployed or underemployed lawyers in the pipeline I don't see things turning around any time soon.

Legal academia can be a great life, but from all accounts most legal faculties are exceptionally picky about credentials and brand-name schools.  If you are serious about legal academia it may be worth doing whatever it takes to land HYS.  If your academic interests are other than legal, then focus primarily on that other field and pickup a jd if you've nothing better to do.  A PhD will help quite a lot with legal academia provided that it is related and you write something decent (particularly if you get your jd somewhere other than hys).  I'm also interested in legal academia and have been looking at this quite a bit - I don't argue that the current system is as it should be, just stating my observations of how things are.

1. Most important thing first: what kind of bike do you ride? lol

2. Tell us please how you got into Harvard.  Just want to know what you did for LSAT (how you studied, what your cold score was before studying), how you went about your PS, DS if you had one, which month you applied, how many rec letters you sent in, what made you choose them aside from the name, and how the prospects have changed there as far as jobs and the student body's morale since you started, given this economy.

(Sorry that was so long, had to get it all out).