Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: spouse and kids  (Read 2838 times)

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: spouse and kids
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 10:53:03 AM »
So you are saying law school is the ONLY other option or the BEST other option for a post grad career?  Again, unless going to a T1 or getting serious financial help, my answer is 'NO' to both.

Presently the unemployment rate for college grads is about 5%.  The unenployment rate for new JDs is about 10% - and climbing.  Tack $150K in debt and a messed up family and I can not see how it is a good choice.

kids also need a dad who is able to support them and not just be some middle position go nowhere at best pee-on.
Lots of jobs require you to be away, lawschool is not worse than overtime at some factory or office gig. The only guys that are home all the time without a PHD tend to be 30hour a week guys who worry about keeping the lights turned on. Those families tend to  have their fare share of issues equal to if not beyond that of a lawstudent or a lawyer.

Toss in studentloans with no degree, that can't help.

Don't waste your breath.  These fools think that landing an internship or summer associate position is equivalent to landing an associate position.  When you try to warn them that the legal profession is in shambles, and that they are taking on absurd amounts of debt for little to no return, they can't see past the fact that their internship will not lead to full-time employment ("ZOMG, I come from a T4 and have an internship - pull yourselves up by your bootstraps - something must be wrong with you if you can't get a job from a T1!!!").  Never mind the fact that those from T1 and T2 schools all had summer clerkships and internships as well, but nevertheless failed to secure full-time employment afterward.  They have absolutely no idea how bad the market is for first-year associates.  They will find out soon enough, however.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 11:15:37 AM »
Here is what your crazy simpeltonbutt cant seem to wrapitself around, if you dropout you have only debt to show for it, and as far as the higher unemployment in a JD to undergrad all you have to do to fix that if you cant find JD work is leave it off the resume(idiot) but an undergrad only person cant just crap out a JD. Duh. :P

So you are saying law school is the ONLY other option or the BEST other option for a post grad career?  Again, unless going to a T1 or getting serious financial help, my answer is 'NO' to both.

Presently the unemployment rate for college grads is about 5%.  The unenployment rate for new JDs is about 10% - and climbing.  Tack $150K in debt and a messed up family and I can not see how it is a good choice.

kids also need a dad who is able to support them and not just be some middle position go nowhere at best pee-on.
Lots of jobs require you to be away, lawschool is not worse than overtime at some factory or office gig. The only guys that are home all the time without a PHD tend to be 30hour a week guys who worry about keeping the lights turned on. Those families tend to  have their fare share of issues equal to if not beyond that of a lawstudent or a lawyer.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 11:43:51 AM »
Here is what your crazy simpeltonbutt cant seem to wrapitself around, if you dropout you have only debt to show for it, and as far as the higher unemployment in a JD to undergrad all you have to do to fix that if you cant find JD work is leave it off the resume(idiot) but an undergrad only person cant just crap out a JD. Duh. :P

How are you going to explain the giant 3 year resume gap when your prospective employer determines your age or looks at the timing of your college graduation?

Notwithstanding the above, do you know what a sunk cost is?  Allow me to define it for you:

Past expenditures (e.g., Tuition) for a given activity (e.g., Law School) that are typically irrelevant in whole or in part to future decisions. The “sunk cost fallacy” is an attempt to recoup spent dollars by spending still more dollars in the future.  Therefore, sunk costs should be ignored in determining whether a new investment (e.g., Additional year of law school) is worthwhile.

So then, I ask you:  Why would you proceed with law school and accumulate more debt, only to leave your JD off of your resume?  Wouldn't you be better off quitting law school midway, sparing yourself more debt, and just leaving the JD off your resume?  By going to law school, you're essentially throwing good money after bad.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 01:12:21 PM »
My point is that you can always take away its harder to add stuff thats not there. As for not putting it down, I always would unless applying for the peeon jobs that require less than a BA, and those jobs dont care what you were doing for that time they just want dumb grunts to sweat and do what they're told. As for ones that require a BA only a fool would think a JD hurts you with it.

How are you going to explain the giant 3 year resume gap when your prospective employer determines your age or looks at the timing of your college graduation?

Notwithstanding the above, do you know what a sunk cost is?  Allow me to define it for you:

Past expenditures (e.g., Tuition) for a given activity (e.g., Law School) that are typically irrelevant in whole or in part to future decisions. The “sunk cost fallacy” is an attempt to recoup spent dollars by spending still more dollars in the future.  Therefore, sunk costs should be ignored in determining whether a new investment (e.g., Additional year of law school) is worthwhile.

So then, I ask you:  Why would you proceed with law school and accumulate more debt, only to leave your JD off of your resume?  Wouldn't you be better off quitting law school midway, sparing yourself more debt, and just leaving the JD off your resume?  By going to law school, you're essentially throwing good money after bad.

cvtheis

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 02:10:44 PM »
So spend 3+ years of time (and lost earnings) plus acquire $150K in debt so you can hide the experience from prospective employers... now I get it.  I see the value!!!

If you are not working in law, your JD is essentially worthless.  If you cant get a job in law, why get the JD?

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 09:50:48 PM »
God your an idiot. I was giving contingencies not goals. If someone tells you their plan to put out a fire they dont plan to catch on fire.

Besides anyone and everyone who passes the bar can work in law. Its not hard, anyone who is licensed and can't find work is a bum and should be ashamed of themselves, period. Lower your standards and work for a smaller firm if you have to, go solo, etc. Suck it up and move on. Bunch of cry babies that need to pull off the teet is all. Plain and simple.