Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UDC or Pierce Law  (Read 1862 times)

sim208

• View Profile
UDC or Pierce Law
« on: May 10, 2010, 01:56:21 PM »
I was accepted to Pierce Law for fall 2010. I was initially made an offer to University of District of Columbia online, however when my I received notification in snail mail I was offered conditional acceptance. The program simply accepts me as long as I come to class and do the work. I'm not sure where I should go. Any suggestions would be helpful.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: UDC or Pierce Law
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 04:42:56 PM »
Don't get caught up in rankings! Just go to whatever city you want to live in if you want to be in D.C. then go to school there and if you want to live in New Hampshire go to FP.  If you really don't care where you live then Franklin Pierce would probably be the better choice.

Franklin Pierce is the only school in it's state so it might be easier to get started there, but there is not much in New Hampshire. I did interact with the staff a lot, because I got admitted and it seemed like a reputable school and they have a really high bar passage rate, which is definitely an important consideration. However, law school is a personal choice and any ABA school will teach you the same things, none of them are out to ruin your life or anything and if you put the work in at any ABA school it will work out.

IPLawyer2010

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 09:48:49 AM »
I would have to agree with bigs5068..I actually had a similar dilemma when I went to law school three years ago. I lived in the DC area for 9 years and wanted to stay in DC. After visiting Pierce Law and learning about their unique programs, like the Daniel Webster's Program (where you are NH bar registered just by completing the program), Joint Degree Program (I completed my JD and LLM in IP at the same time), and the ability to externship at a law firm for a full semesters worth of credit (I worked at Loeb and Loeb doing entertainment law for my last semester). If I was choosing between UDC and FPLC, it would be an easy choice to go to NH and just come back to DC after. NH may be slow compared to DC, but I find it helped me focus and do well. I graduate this Saturday and I would do it all over again (unless it was between George Washington and Pierce Law...LOL). Just realize its a sacrafice where ever you go. Good luck.

Kaiser7935

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 07:49:56 AM »
UDC all the way! Over 90% bar passage rate last year and the tuition is great. This school will teach you how to work the courtroom and give you practical experience. I have worked with some UDC grads and they have 1/3 the debt the rest of us have. As a trial lawyer if I could do it again I would have gone there.

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 12:24:14 PM »
It depends on the type of work you want to do, and where you want to live.  If you want to be in DC, lean towards UDC.