Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Curious Question about Obama's Nominee  (Read 1778 times)

cooleylawstudent

Re: Curious Question about Obama's Nominee
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 12:22:54 AM »
yes, he did.

Even Hitler won by election.

Not that this matters to this thread, but for the sake of historical accuracy...he didn't

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 12:34:19 AM »
yes, he did.

Not that this matters to this thread, but for the sake of historical accuracy...he didn't

no, he lost both the presidential election and the runoff election.  He was chancellor and then  succeeded President Paul von Hindenburg after his death, then eliminated the position of president.  He was never elected as president.
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 12:35:54 AM »
yes, he did.

no, he lost both the presidential election and the runoff election.  He was chancellor and then  succeeded President Paul von Hindenburg after his death, then eliminated the position of president.  He was never elected as president.

Swoosh!
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 12:59:06 AM »
wrong

yes, he did.

Swoosh!

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 01:02:35 AM »
used violece and fear to get elected.Just like George W. got in on a legal loophole the first time and a woping majority the second time. Jews were his 9/11.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hitler became Führer (Supreme Leader) on August 2, 1934: he'd been Chancellor of Germany since January 30, 1933. Very technically, Hitler was never actually elected, but he did take power legally under the laws of the then-Weimar Republic, which he almost immediately abolished. Until Hitler was appointed Chancellor, the Nazis never held an actual majority in the government and the parliament.

Hitler was appointed Chancellor under President Paul von Hindenburg on January 30, 1933, as part of a coalition government originally intended to hold the wobbly democracy together, but Hitler wanted no democracy and engineered things so that President Hindenburg was forced to dissolve parliament and hold new elections. Using violence and anti-Communist hysteria to their advantage, on election day, March 6, 1933, the Nazis increased their result to 44% of the vote, making them the largest party in Germany, but still not giving them an absolute majority. Nevertheless, continuing to use violence or the threat of it, plus clever political subterfuge, Hitler consolidated his power in the parliament until he had successfully, and apparently legally, suppressed all the other political parties.

When Hindenburg died on August 2, 1934, Hitler's cabinet passed a law transferring the power of the presidency to Hitler as both Chancellor and Führer (Leader). In mid-August a plebiscite was held, and 85% of the people voted to sustain Hitler as supreme leader of the state, people and military. Hitler could no longer be legally challenged. But he hadn't been elected per se: he'd been appointed Chancellor, then usurped the power of the presidency, and was approved in place by that 85% vote, but the fact remains (and the German voters living at the time must bear the responsibility) 85% voted to follow Hitler to their eventual Götterdamerung

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 01:12:45 AM »
how is that at all different from what I said?

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 01:16:17 AM »

you said that he was't elected and he was.

how is that at all different from what I said?

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 01:19:21 AM »
you said that he was't elected and he was.

no...his succession was legal, but that doesn't mean he was elected.

But he hadn't been elected per se: he'd been appointed Chancellor, then usurped the power of the presidency, and was approved in place by that 85% vote, but the fact remains (and the German voters living at the time must bear the responsibility) 85% voted to follow Hitler to their eventual Götterdamerung

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 01:21:04 AM »
85% of the people voted to sustain Hitler as supreme leader of the state, people and military.

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 01:23:44 AM »
85% of the people voted to sustain Hitler as supreme leader of the state, people and military.

They approved him, or voted to allow him to stay.  That is not election.  He didn't run against anyone.