Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: new to the law school path...  (Read 527 times)

pinkedelweiss

• View Profile
    • Email
new to the law school path...
« on: May 08, 2010, 12:45:46 PM »
Hi everyone,
I am new here and I'm in my 3rd year of college (undergrad) and I just recently, in the past few months decided I want to go to law school. My undergraduate degree is in history.
I feel like i've missed out on so many things I should know by now though. I know I need to take the LSAT, and I will take it in October, I am also taking a Testmasters course this summer.
But I am not sure if I am set on international law, environmental law or criminal law. I know, very different fields, but all of them appeal to me. International law- because I really want to have the opportunity to practice outside of the US. Environmental because I started out my undergraduate degree studying science, then I discovered that although science interests me, I prefer to study the history and sociology aspects of how science affects society. So, I feel like environmental law would be perfect considering I have this interest. And criminal law, well that's been one of my dreams since I was a kid..
Anyway...I am confused about whether the law school I choose to go to will limit the kind of law I will be able to specialize in? I have no idea how this works at all, and I haven't been able to find an answer to my question by googling it..All the info I find is so general!
When do I need to choose the type of law I want to study, and is it even possible to get a law degree in the US that can be useful overseas??
I would really appreciate some links that explain some of this since I haven't been able to find any...

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: new to the law school path...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 04:27:46 AM »
Anyway...I am confused about whether the law school I choose to go to will limit the kind of law I will be able to specialize in? I have no idea how this works at all, and I haven't been able to find an answer to my question by googling it..All the info I find is so general!
When do I need to choose the type of law I want to study, and is it even possible to get a law degree in the US that can be useful overseas??
I would really appreciate some links that explain some of this since I haven't been able to find any...

There's no need to worry.  For several reasons, you need not worry about a concentration until registering for your second year of law school.  Even then, in few cases will a concentration be the sole factor in determining where you eventually practice.

So, in short, fear not!  Don't worry about which specific area of law you will practice, as most lawyers find a field very different from the one they might have assumed before they started.  And most employers will have new attorneys perform many different tasks . . . so there are many opportunities.

What is key is to prepare for your LSAT . . . more than you have ever prepared for anything else, ever.

There are several posts in the other threads, which might be helfpul.  In sum, you do have a good amount of time.  What is key is to focus with intensity for the next four months on acing that exam.

Best of luck,

Thane.

PS:  As it happens I used my law degree with an overseas assignment.  (And, no, it wasn't JAG, although that's a solid possibility.)  So, yes, it is possible.  Do well on the LSAT, and all is possible.

PPS:  Did I mention how important the LSAT is?