Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: <<How Hard is it to Transfer from T2 to T3?>>  (Read 3050 times)

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: <<How Hard is it to Transfer from T2 to T3?>>
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 03:30:39 AM »
I'd like to caveat this by saying that I believe that below a certain range of school ranking, USNWR rankings don't have a direct relationship to employment opportunities.  No first-hand knowledge; that's just what I've heard.

This is mostly true.  The caveat to the caveat is that we tend to think of rankings as linear.  They are not.  There are many factors besides a raw rank that can make the difference for a specific applicant.

So, it's clearly important to look at these general rules, but also to understand how they apply to our particular circumstance.

markthomas

• View Profile
Re: <<How Hard is it to Transfer from T2 to T3?>>
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 04:55:07 PM »

I'd like to caveat this by saying that I believe that below a certain range of school ranking, USNWR rankings don't have a direct relationship to employment opportunities.  No first-hand knowledge; that's just what I've heard.
[/quote]

Yeah, that's pretty much true.  After the top-14 (or whatever) an employer pretty much just recruits from the regional schools.  If you plan on working in a certain area for sure after graduation, I would say going to school there (at the best possible law school you can transfer to, of course), is the best decision.  For example, going to Loyola or DePaul in Chicago is better than say going to American in D.C. if you want to work in Chicago, despite the differences in rank.  At that point, you're better off going to a school where the lawyers there actually have some connection to the university.