Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: <<How Hard is it to Transfer from T2 to T3?>>  (Read 2966 times)

Pennoyerism

• View Profile
<<How Hard is it to Transfer from T2 to T3?>>
« on: May 08, 2010, 02:14:31 AM »
My current school is ranked in the Low-60's and I want to transfer to a T3 for reasons pertaining to location..

So how hard is it to do this?  What kind of grades would I need to show?

Any knowledge would appreciated.  Thanks.

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: <<How Hard is it to Transfer from T2 to T3?>>
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 09:57:08 PM »
My current school is ranked in the Low-60's and I want to transfer to a T3 for reasons pertaining to location..

There's a book, Art of the Law School Transfer, that goes over this in detail.

Hope this helps,

Thane.

Pennoyerism

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 03:48:12 PM »
Thanks?  ???

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
just keep a good gpa and you should be fine.

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 10:11:44 PM »

There's a book, Art of the Law School Transfer, that goes over this in detail.

Hope this helps,

Thane.

Sorry, part of my message was truncated.  Quite right, GPA should put you in good shape.  One key is to be careful as to timing and the details, such as letters of recommendation.  Even though it might be a lateral (or slight downward) move, that doesn't mean it's a sure thing.  Also, be careful to consider the other implications, such as financial aid and scheduling.

Thane.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 10:15:18 PM »
Moveing to get from one side of the country to the other in the small window between semesters may be tight, I dont think they all start and end at the same times either, which may also be a factor. You may want to look into that to see if your school ends a week after the other one begins.

cvtheis

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 08:13:55 AM »
In this job market I would think long and hard before making this downgrade unless there was a VERY compelling reason.  School matters and T3/T4 graduates are having a much harder time finding work than T2s.  My first thoughts for anyone going to law school is to reconsider THAT decision...

kjw5029

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 05:35:01 PM »
In this job market I would think long and hard before making this downgrade unless there was a VERY compelling reason.  School matters and T3/T4 graduates are having a much harder time finding work than T2s.  My first thoughts for anyone going to law school is to reconsider THAT decision...

This is the best advice you will get.  I couldn't have said it better myself.  If anything, transfer to a higher ranked schools.  From what I've been told, T25 grads aren't even a shoe-in anymore.

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 10:00:16 PM »
Would have to agree.  Think two and three and ten times before transferring downward.  Sadly, firms will not care about one's original law school, to a large degree.  This can help when transferring up, but won't in the opposite direction.  Deportment and subjective factors are important, of course, but there's no getting around the law school nameplate, especially now.

Thane.

This is the best advice you will get.  I couldn't have said it better myself.  If anything, transfer to a higher ranked schools.  From what I've been told, T25 grads aren't even a shoe-in anymore.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 01:10:26 AM »

I'd like to caveat this by saying that I believe that below a certain range of school ranking, USNWR rankings don't have a direct relationship to employment opportunities.  No first-hand knowledge; that's just what I've heard.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)