Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What to do to prepare for law school  (Read 1236 times)

avocatessa

• View Profile
    • Email
What to do to prepare for law school
« on: May 05, 2010, 04:08:47 PM »
I'm a 3L and all through law school, I worked with Morange Workshops to prepare for my courses. They're awesome. Now, they are doing a special program for incoming 1Ls called The Scoop. It's gonna be fantastic and anyone who wants an edge should sign up.

wyatth

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: What to do to prepare for law school
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 04:20:33 AM »
Thanks for sharing this.

Only available in NY? Browsed their site.

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 04:22:21 AM »
I'm a 3L and all through law school, I worked with Morange Workshops to prepare for my courses. They're awesome. Now, they are doing a special program for incoming 1Ls called The Scoop. It's gonna be fantastic and anyone who wants an edge should sign up.

Most interesting, avocatessa.  There've been a number of threads, and, unfortunately, in all the noise there seems a general reluctance for soon-to-be 1Ls to take advantage of these crucial summer months.  Not for "cramming," as many mistakenly assume, but in careful, modest preparation. 

In looking at the outfit you recommended, it wasn't immediately clear what their overall approach is.  Out of curiosity, might you give a sense in a few words?  (In part, it might be helpful to new 1Ls to think about this, in May, for the upcoming three months.

I'll give my own take, which is perhaps radical in its moderation.  Many law students take advantage of Planet Law School, which, if followed as its author recommends (but not as most seem to react) is extremely beneficial.  The best students take law school seriously, and PLS is a serious (perhaps too serious) tool. 

My own take is somewhat different, in that I encourage students to read a variety of sources, including PLS, and then to decide--understanding why some preparation is likely to be extremely helpful, and why most law students struggle, needlessly.

Conversely, I think it's important for new law students to understand why much of the conventional advice is downright silly . . . and in being downright silly, is massively harmful to them as they enter law school on the very first day.

I'd be most interested in your thoughts.

Thane.

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 06:30:38 AM »

Barely two posts and we're promoting some unheard of thing already?

I smell a troll...