Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law School should be approached with caution  (Read 15585 times)

cvtheis

Re: Law School should be approached with caution
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2010, 12:59:10 PM »
This "nuance" is VERY relevent when you are looking at graduating from a T3 or T4 law school.  I don't give a rip about the T1 grads - probably most will survive... at the expense of the T3 and T4 grads.  I think it is the T3 and T4 grads who are generally being sold a bogus bag of goods by the law schools considering the "new" legal market.

Of course they do. If you go to Harvard you will have an easier time getting a job as an attorney from there.

If you are 7'9 you will have an easier shot at getting into the NBA than a guy that is 6'2.

If you are a math genius you will have a better shot at becoming a rocket scientist of course some people have it easier than others and Harvard is better than Cooley. I am pretty sure nobody is going to dispute that.

If you go to Cooley as the OP did I would think he should have realized he was going to have a harder time finding a job than a Harvard Grad.  If he didn't know that then I don't know what to say.

That's all I'm saying: there are lots of very obvious nuances that you're not capturing when you say, "it's hard to find a job as an attorney."  For lots of Harvard grads for example, it's not hard at all.  Both common sense and the actual data that we could collect on this supports that idea.  What you want to do is make sure you're capturing this nuance in your statements, which is pretty easy to do.  For example, you could have said, "It's hard to find a job as an attorney, unless you're (coming out of one of the very top schools, have certain connections, etc.)"

I know it sounds like quibbling and the reader very obviously should have enough sense to realize that you mean that, but lawyers can't rely on the sense of other people.  Let the laypeople do that.  Language has to be very exact.  And yes, it may seem silly to stick to that here on an internet message board, but these are habits of the mind that are important to maintain everywhere, because otherwise they get degraded where it counts as well.

Just some suggestions.
[/quote]

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2010, 10:27:44 AM »
To address other comments - yes, some Harvard law grads ARE having difficulty finding work.

Was this directed toward me?  ???  Because all I said was that lots of Harvard grads do not have it hard, not all Harvard grads. 
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2010, 12:00:34 PM »
so your simple mind is confused why after saying "its not true" someone would reply "it is true and here is why"?
Ain't that hard man, it may seem that way for you, but it shouldnt be.

To address other comments - yes, some Harvard law grads ARE having difficulty finding work.

Was this directed toward me?  ???  Because all I said was that lots of Harvard grads do not have it hard, not all Harvard grads. 

IAmMultipleBooks

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2010, 04:21:40 PM »
This message board seems dead. This whole thread had between four and six people debating amongst each other.

I have warned people before on Law School Discussion to think twice about law school and got the same mean-spirited responses from true believers. It's like telling a kindergartner that Santa Claus doesn't exist. Actually, it's worse.

I am a T14 graduate, around top third of the class, good resume, experience, journal, etc., and NO JOB after hundreds of applications and a few interviews. I have found out the employment status of quite a few peers at my school, and between 60 and 90 percent have no permanent job prospects after graduation.

My school is hiring many people for temporary positions so that the employment rate looks good for US News; but after nine months, many of these kids are going to be on the street with $150-200k in loans to pay back. And, mind you, this is a PRESTIGIOUS school.

I'm in a better situation than most (for reasons I will not state on this board because it's irrelevant and because my situation is unusual); but please, think twice about law school.

If you graduate from Cooley, not only will you be jobless (working the night shift at Taco Bell doesn't count), but it will be a big sh*tstain on your resume because the school is the laughingstock of the legal profession, especially amongst younger lawyers. I think that's unfair (especially after seeing how many less-than-stellar people end up at T14s) but it's how it is.

IAmMultipleBooks

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2010, 04:23:34 PM »
so your simple mind is confused why after saying "its not true" someone would reply "it is true and here is why"?

I saw on another thread that you have yet to start Cooley. Please tone down your nastiness and listen to us. Get out while you can (unless you have a close relative in the practice).

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2010, 05:28:52 PM »
Yes Taco Bell. I am sure every Cooley Graduate works at Taco Bell. I went to an interview not long ago and a recent Cooley Graduate was working at a firm! Shocking right!!

Law school is not a guarntee and neither is computer science or an MBA. If you know something that is some guaranteed road to success please let me know! Honestly, otherwise we are all stuck with taking a risk, which is what education is.

Maybe just getting a law degree from a good school is not enough. Did you personally every work before you started law school or did you simply go to undergard and never have a job and then went to law school and never worked? If that is the case a lot of employers would be hesitant to hire someone with no REAL WORLD experience. Believe it or not school is nothing like the real world.

IAmMultipleBooks

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2010, 07:59:50 PM »
Yes Taco Bell. I am sure every Cooley Graduate works at Taco Bell. I went to an interview not long ago and a recent Cooley Graduate was working at a firm! Shocking right!!

Law school is not a guarntee and neither is computer science or an MBA. If you know something that is some guaranteed road to success please let me know! Honestly, otherwise we are all stuck with taking a risk, which is what education is.

Maybe just getting a law degree from a good school is not enough. Did you personally every work before you started law school or did you simply go to undergard and never have a job and then went to law school and never worked? If that is the case a lot of employers would be hesitant to hire someone with no REAL WORLD experience. Believe it or not school is nothing like the real world.

The answers are in what I've posted.

You need to wake up, son.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2010, 08:37:48 PM »
Is your unusual situation that your a spoiled rich kid who has never dealt with anything and never will?

I take it as a result of this you are shocked that some of your fellow classmates might actually have to put in some work to find a job?

Believe it or not a lot of people go to law school expecting a challenge and even if they didn't go to  law school life would still be hard by going down some other path. We don't all have mommy and daddy like I assume you do.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2010, 10:46:32 PM »

It amuses me when you tell me that I'm stupid.  :)

If you graduate from Cooley, not only will you be jobless (working the night shift at Taco Bell doesn't count), but it will be a big sh*tstain on your resume because the school is the laughingstock of the legal profession, especially amongst younger lawyers. I think that's unfair (especially after seeing how many less-than-stellar people end up at T14s) but it's how it is.

Let's be fair: if you're a recent graduate from a T14 school, you don't really know what effect a Cooley degree on your resume will have.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

cvtheis

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2010, 07:36:20 PM »
Trust me, we are looked down upon.

Let's be fair: if you're a recent graduate from a T14 school, you don't really know what effect a Cooley degree on your resume will have.