Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law School should be approached with caution  (Read 15532 times)

cooleylawstudent

Re: Law School should be approached with caution
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 10:07:53 PM »
yes because you are so important that even if two people are not even talking to you then it must be about you, that damn israeli-palastinian conflict, why don't they just confront you instead of fighting about if behind your back? ::)

oh I see, so the reason no one will hire you, is because I say words like idiot. Ok, yeah.......at the end of the day you're still the loser who can't find the job that the bottom half of his class found, you figure if out. "but..but...I'm rubber and you're glue......see my point.....thanks for proving it.....what was my point again?"

idiot how is it "proving your point" that people below your claimed percent are running laps around your invalid ass?

Advance notice, the reaction around here is going to be that it's your fault for not finding employment and not your school's. 

You must just come off as a jackass or a prick in your interviews. Mabey you smell like rotten eggs.

Clear enough?
I think you are mixed up.  I am the one who started the thread and said there were not many legal jobs out there.  'Baby lawyer' was not the one commenting about finding a job.  Baby lawyer was simply making the point to me that because my post/opinion was not sunshine and flowers I could expect to be criticized.
I am sorry you feel so compelled to get nasty and start throwing names around just because you disagree.  Instead of labeling me a loser, prick, or jackass, and making baseless assumptions that the bottom half of my class is gainfully employed as lawyers, how about "thinking like a lawyer," doing some research, and putting up some facts to counter my assertion?
I dont blame Cooley, nor do I bash it - I simply am pointing out some facts that open-minded students might want to consider.

cvtheis

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 10:41:39 PM »
The logic of your posts along with the sections you quote is baffling at best.  Success in law school requires better reading comprehension than you are demonstrating:
1) Baby lawyer never made a post about not finding a job
2) I did
3) your post starts out "oh I see, so the reason no one will hire you..."
4) who would one think the post was directed at?

I wont waste my time here, law schools will pump out record numbers of JDs this year (something like 43K) and the trend will continue as new schools get ABA accredidation.  The industry is not adding 43K jobs a year -- if anything it is shrinking.  Lets see... fewer jobs and more people competing for them... what could possibly go wrong?  Check the job opportunities offerred at the carrer center at Cooley and see for yourself what is being offered and by who.  All of the information is out there, you just need to be able to SEE it.

I know, I know, YOU'RE different, and I am just a bitter loser who can't get a lawyer job because of my own shortcomings.

Good luck everyone.

yes because you are so important that even if two people are not even talking to you then it must be about you, that damn israeli-palastinian conflict, why don't they just confront you instead of fighting about if behind your back? ::)

oh I see, so the reason no one will hire you, is because I say words like idiot. Ok, yeah.......at the end of the day you're still the loser who can't find the job that the bottom half of his class found, you figure if out. "but..but...I'm rubber and you're glue......see my point.....thanks for proving it.....what was my point again?"

idiot how is it "proving your point" that people below your claimed percent are running laps around your invalid ass?

Advance notice, the reaction around here is going to be that it's your fault for not finding employment and not your school's. 

You must just come off as a jackass or a prick in your interviews. Mabey you smell like rotten eggs.

Clear enough?
I think you are mixed up.  I am the one who started the thread and said there were not many legal jobs out there.  'Baby lawyer' was not the one commenting about finding a job.  Baby lawyer was simply making the point to me that because my post/opinion was not sunshine and flowers I could expect to be criticized.
I am sorry you feel so compelled to get nasty and start throwing names around just because you disagree.  Instead of labeling me a loser, prick, or jackass, and making baseless assumptions that the bottom half of my class is gainfully employed as lawyers, how about "thinking like a lawyer," doing some research, and putting up some facts to counter my assertion?
I dont blame Cooley, nor do I bash it - I simply am pointing out some facts that open-minded students might want to consider.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 10:51:58 PM »
you are finally starting to understand. Congrats.

The logic of your posts along with the sections you quote is baffling at best.  Success in law school requires better reading comprehension than you are demonstrating:
1) Baby lawyer never made a post about not finding a job
2) I did
3) your post starts out "oh I see, so the reason no one will hire you..."
4) who would one think the post was directed at?

I wont waste my time here, law schools will pump out record numbers of JDs this year (something like 43K) and the trend will continue as new schools get ABA accredidation.  The industry is not adding 43K jobs a year -- if anything it is shrinking.  Lets see... fewer jobs and more people competing for them... what could possibly go wrong?  Check the job opportunities offerred at the carrer center at Cooley and see for yourself what is being offered and by who.  All of the information is out there, you just need to be able to SEE it.

I know, I know, YOU'RE different, and I am just a bitter loser who can't get a lawyer job because of my own shortcomings.

Good luck everyone.

Clear enough?

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 10:54:43 PM »
The population keeps growing in this country, there are shitloads of places to get jobs you just can't get past your "but mommy I want to do this" mentality. Old people need lawyers, people trying not to be deported need lawyers, foreign nations trying to setup in our soil need lawyers, etc,etc.

So sorry that billgates ran out of need for extra "fluffers", get over it.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 05:46:17 AM »
As I've said elsewhere, I don't think kids who are still in law school should be talking trash about how easy it is to find a job.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

cvtheis

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010, 10:23:23 AM »
WOW!  That is SOME logic there... amazing I didn't think of that.  The population is not growing that much and to draw an unsubstantiated linear correlation between population and legal careers is... laughable?  I hope you did better than this on your finals.

Let me do a last bit of homework for you before I check out.  Some easy links to blog articles regarding jobs - also check out "above the law" or the "Wall Street Journal law blog"

Some quick reads that are only the tip of the iceburg if you choose to look and see:

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/05/blank-rome-indefinite-deferral-isnt-a-subtle-signal/
http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2010/05/06/all-schooled-up-with-no-place-to-go/
http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2010/04/08/so-on-those-law-firm-layoffs-were-not-done-quite-yet/
http://abovethelaw.com/2010/05/rescission-open-thread-which-firms-are-pulling-offers/
http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2009/07/01/in-praise-of-law-firm-layoffs/
http://abovethelaw.com/2010/05/nalp-2010-nalp-executive-director-james-leipold-talks-to-the-lost-generation/

The REALITY is that there are not many good opportunities out there for T3 and T4 law school grads who (1) dont have the right connections, or (2) don't finish at the very top of their class.

The $100K plus that is "invested" in law school might be better off put into a Panera franchise or some other tangible investment.  Going that deep in debt with only a piece of paper and a title to show for it might not be the best life strategy.

Goodbye

The population keeps growing in this country, there are shitloads of places to get jobs you just can't get past your "but mommy I want to do this" mentality. Old people need lawyers, people trying not to be deported need lawyers, foreign nations trying to setup in our soil need lawyers, etc,etc.

So sorry that billgates ran out of need for extra "fluffers", get over it.

cvtheis

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 02:22:44 PM »
Here is one last article - perhaps a "must-read."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704866204575224350917718446.html

...of course, these are all just a bunch LOSERS who are not as smart as you and don't know how to suck it up and find real jobs.  Class rank and school reputation dont mean anything when it comes to landing a decent job, it comes down to whether you come across as a prick or not and how bad you WANT it.  When it comes to looking at resume's and granting valuable interview slots the choice between a Northwestern Law graduate and a 3T or 4T candidate is easy right?  Forget those Northwestern LOSERS when those other, clearly much smarter, folks are out there.  Forget what the experts and analysts say, the population is increasing so of course there will be more jobs out there, right?  It means nothing that as the job market shrinks, the number of JDs/year increases - it's only the LOSERS like me who cant get a decent legal job.  That $100K law school debt will take care of itself... on an annual salary of $30K or $40k/year it should get paid off in no time right?

Folks should stop listening to the cheerleaders, ask themselves if they REALLY want to be a lawyer or if its what they are doing for lack of anything else going on, do their own research and self-evaluation, do a financial evaluation, consider pulling the rip-cord, and concentrate on using their undergraduate degree to do something meaningful for humanity.

Good luck and God bless.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2010, 09:05:57 PM »
It is good to graduate the top 20% congrats and I don't think you are a loser for not finding a job, but it is always hard to find a job. No matter what your degree is in. I think the only degree that will guarantee you money right now is learning Arabic then you can be translator making 100,000, but dodging bullets.

Whether you get an M.D., M.B.A, J.D, B.A, B.S, whatever it is jobs are hard to come by.

Think of it like this you are PAYING a school to give you an education, I think that shouldn't be the case, but it is. Since you are paying the standard is a lot lower.  

When you go out into the real world you want someone to PAY you. That is a lot different standard. No matter what your degree it is going to be the case, honestly if you got straight A's in law school, but are not able to make them money then you are no good to them. If a guy at the bottom of Cooley's class knows Mandarin he can probably get a job in San Francisco's Chinatown pretty easily, because attorney's want someone with legal knowledge that has the special skill of knowing Mandarin, because that will get them clients not a student's good transcript.

I do have one question did you go straight to law school from undergrad? If that is the case I would say that is how life goes. When I graduated with a B.A. nobody was handing me a job I had to look for months. I got a few bunnies jobs right away, but they sucked, but I kept working and it worked out.

Bottom Line is education is a risk always and is not a guarantee. Also law school is a LONG TERM INVESTMENT. Honestly, you will find a job at some point if you keep trying probably not today and probably not tomorrow, but if you keep at it something will open up.  Then you will be a lawyer for a LONGGGGGGG time and if you are an attorney it does pay better than a cashier at McDonald's.

One other thing I imagine if you went to Cooley that you are looking for a job in Michigan. Which, was hit fairly hard by this thing called GLOBAL RECESSION and I imagine a lot of people in Michigan not just law students are looking for jobs, in every industry.  Hence the word GLOBAL RECESSION.  

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 10:27:20 PM »
yes, since its so "impossible" to just talk to people working, oh wait its not! There is a world beyond the internet? LIES,LIE,LIES......!!!!.... :o ::)

As I've said elsewhere, I don't think kids who are still in law school should be talking trash about how easy it is to find a job.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2010, 12:33:31 AM »
yes, since its so "impossible" to just talk to people working, oh wait its not! There is a world beyond the internet? LIES,LIE,LIES......!!!!.... :o ::)

I like how you listen to people who say what you want to hear but when someone like cvtheis comes along and says something otherwise, you tell him he's wrong about just about everything.  Ah well.

it is always hard to find a job.

Again, not true.  You overgeneralize.  Add more nuance.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)