Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law School should be approached with caution  (Read 15158 times)

cvtheis

Law School should be approached with caution
« on: May 04, 2010, 04:31:13 PM »
Do your homework before committing to law school.  I graduated from Cooley in top 20%, there are no legal jobs out there and law schools are pumping out record numbers of JDs.  Very critically look into a school before you decide to go to law school.  Ask yourself if there is REALLY going to be a payoff when you put yourself $100K in debt and may have a very difficult time paying it off?  Check out blogs to get some perspective on non-Tier 1 law schools.  Don't be afraid to give up on the dream if pursuing it could be the biggest mistake of your life.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Law School should be approached with caution
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 10:37:52 PM »
Do your homework before committing to law school.  I graduated from Cooley in top 20%, there are no legal jobs out there and law schools are pumping out record numbers of JDs.  Very critically look into a school before you decide to go to law school.  Ask yourself if there is REALLY going to be a payoff when you put yourself $100K in debt and may have a very difficult time paying it off?  Check out blogs to get some perspective on non-Tier 1 law schools.  Don't be afraid to give up on the dream if pursuing it could be the biggest mistake of your life.

Advance notice, the reaction around here is going to be that it's your fault for not finding employment and not your school's.  I neither agree nor disagree with this position, but I do suggest that you exhaustively detail what efforts you took to find employment.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 11:13:43 PM »
whats real sad is a ton of the bottom half of your class is employed right now. You must just come off as a jackass or a prick in your interviews. Mabey you smell like rotten eggs. Think about it man.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 12:07:26 AM »
whats real sad is a ton of the bottom half of your class is employed right now. You must just come off as a jackass or a prick in your interviews. Mabey you smell like rotten eggs. Think about it man.

Thanks for proving my point!  :)

Mr. Hart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 12:15:44 AM »
If you graduated in the top 20% at any ABA approved law school you ought to be able to find a decent job. Keep your head up.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 12:48:02 AM »
idiot how is it "proving your point" that people below your claimed percent are running laps around your invalid ass?

Thanks for proving my point!  :)

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 05:29:56 AM »
idiot how is it "proving your point" that people below your claimed percent are running laps around your invalid ass?

Advance notice, the reaction around here is going to be that it's your fault for not finding employment and not your school's. 

You must just come off as a jackass or a prick in your interviews. Mabey you smell like rotten eggs.

Clear enough?

cvtheis

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 09:07:19 AM »
Do your homework before committing to law school.  I graduated from Cooley in top 20%, there are no legal jobs out there and law schools are pumping out record numbers of JDs.  Very critically look into a school before you decide to go to law school.  Ask yourself if there is REALLY going to be a payoff when you put yourself $100K in debt and may have a very difficult time paying it off?  Check out blogs to get some perspective on non-Tier 1 law schools.  Don't be afraid to give up on the dream if pursuing it could be the biggest mistake of your life.

Advance notice, the reaction around here is going to be that it's your fault for not finding employment and not your school's.  I neither agree nor disagree with this position, but I do suggest that you exhaustively detail what efforts you took to find employment.

I got that from the tone of the boards on a quick read, seems like a lot of chearleading - and that is fine.  I am not some bitter person who can't find a job, in fact I thank God I did not get hired by a few of the firms that showed interest.  I had a career when I attended law school, had scholarships and company-paid tuition reimbursement that paid for 75% of my costs, actually like my job (which I kept while attending) and make a decent salary - I say that not as bragging BS, but to put my comment and advice in proper context.  I used my numerous industry contacts and experience with hiring attorneys, had several interviews with folks who wanted to bring me in b/c of my experience and contacts, but could not do it b/c they did not have enough work and I could not guarantee that my contacts would result in an immediate uptick.  Read the news - law firms are letting attorneys go, releasing partners, and deferring new hires - this is not opinion, it is FACT.

The job market and economy are grim, that is FACT.  Folks that want to attack that position are either school administrators or are so wrapped up in the idea of going to law school and being a lawyer that they do not want to hear negative comments and ideas.

I actually liked the law school experience, but regret doing it.  I am lucky because I am not saddled with crushing debt and still have a great career -- but it took a toll in terms of time away from my family and stress.  I pitty anyone who thinks they are going to graduate from Cooley and get a glamorous, big-paying job as a lawyer.  Heck, most will be lucky to find ANY job.  Dont take my word for it, nobody knows me from a hole in the ground - DO YOUR HOMEWORK AND ASK YOURSELF IF YOU CAN REALLY HANDLE 100K OF DEBT WITHOUT A JOB -- or at least if you are willing to take that risk.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 01:30:10 PM »
oh I see, so the reason no one will hire you, is because I say words like idiot. Ok, yeah.......at the end of the day you're still the loser who can't find the job that the bottom half of his class found, you figure if out. "but..but...I'm rubber and you're glue......see my point.....thanks for proving it.....what was my point again?"

Advance notice, the reaction around here is going to be that it's your fault for not finding employment and not your school's. 

You must just come off as a jackass or a prick in your interviews. Mabey you smell like rotten eggs.

Clear enough?

cvtheis

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 01:41:28 PM »
oh I see, so the reason no one will hire you, is because I say words like idiot. Ok, yeah.......at the end of the day you're still the loser who can't find the job that the bottom half of his class found, you figure if out. "but..but...I'm rubber and you're glue......see my point.....thanks for proving it.....what was my point again?"

Clear enough?
I think you are mixed up.  I am the one who started the thread and said there were not many legal jobs out there.  'Baby lawyer' was not the one commenting about finding a job.  Baby lawyer was simply making the point to me that because my post/opinion was not sunshine and flowers I could expect to be criticized.
I am sorry you feel so compelled to get nasty and start throwing names around just because you disagree.  Instead of labeling me a loser, prick, or jackass, and making baseless assumptions that the bottom half of my class is gainfully employed as lawyers, how about "thinking like a lawyer," doing some research, and putting up some facts to counter my assertion?
I dont blame Cooley, nor do I bash it - I simply am pointing out some facts that open-minded students might want to consider.