Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: shooting for a 180...final stretch  (Read 2965 times)

Crying Monkey

• View Profile
    • Email
shooting for a 180...final stretch
« on: May 04, 2010, 11:31:16 AM »
I'm trying to do whatever I can to get into a top law school, but my GPA is a little low (3.35) so I've made scoring well on the LSAT a high priority.  I'm taking the June LSAT in five weeks and I'm just trying to solicit some opinions on study technique.  I've been studying for about a month and a half at this point, and about a month ago I started taking timed PrepTests on Saturdays.  I've taken four so far and scored 170-170-177-180.  During the week I had been working through various strategy books and whatnot, but I feel like I haven't been getting much out of them the last couple weeks. My plan now is to ramp up and take fourteen more timed tests over the next five weeks, taking one each Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday until the weekend before the test, when I figure I'll focus on relaxation.  I don't plan on doing much studying on the other days of the week, although I may do a games section or two.  Is this a recipe for disaster? I took the SAT cold so I don't really have much of a standard of comparison for how to prep for a test like this.

cooleylawstudent

Re: shooting for a 180...final stretch
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 12:11:34 PM »
why does everyone assume they'll get a percfect score, just because some preptest said so(in the comfort on your own home and not identical questions) look you'll probally get somewhat close to your prep score(if your lucky) but on the low end, not the perfect end. Hell, if you get the shits that day you might get a 131. Just take it and do your best, then you try to brag.

Crying Monkey

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 12:43:40 PM »
Note the part where I said I am "shooting for a 180," not "I think I'm necessarily going to get a 180."  Also note that I am asking for input on how to best prepare to achieve my goal.  If I thought that the preptest was a substitute for the real thing, I wouldn't be asking for input into how to best prepare myself, because I would assume that I was already all set.  Do you have any suggestions for how I can best go about preparing myself? Beyond avoiding dysentery, that is.

byebyeny

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 01:50:57 PM »
In order to get practical advice on such topic, you will first have to make sure the advice giver is someone who already got 180 on the real exam. I would say you are unlikely to find someone like that on this board. Even if you find someone who is claiming to have done so, they probably won't post their score just so that you can see it. If you are indeed shooting for the perfect score, you need to rise above everyone else. Maybe not ask advice from those who probably didn't score higher than you?

P.S. I don't think you are doing this, but just to let you know: law school itself has almost nothing to do with your GPA/LSAT. Learning the law has very little to do with how fast you read or process information. If you are shooting for a 180 just to make yourself feel good or brag to others about how well you have done, forget it. There are better things to do. Learn about the law and what you are getting into. Assuming you are in the safe score range, top schools will care more about what attitude you are approaching law school with (which separates those who know what they are doing from many others who have no clue as to why they want to study law). This is the harsh reality one faces as they start law school and finds out their 'supposed' superior reading skills mean jack sht.

sequoia90

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 02:20:25 PM »
In my own experience, I ramped up the studying in the last few weeks and did a PrepTest almost every day. (I was also unemployed, so had a TON of time on my hands.)

I think the most helpful thing is really closely analyzing EVERY question after the test and really getting an understanding about why you got it right/wrong. This was what made all those PTs worthwhile.

Your practice scores seem pretty awesome, but don't expect to get that on the day of the exam. I was scoring 178-180 every practice test, but did NOT score that on the actual test (pretty close, but not quite up there).

Finally, if you're applying with a 3.35 and a 170+ LSAT, you should be able to get into the T-14 and maybe even score some $$$. I have a lower GPA (3.3) and with a score in the 170s, am getting $30k/yr from a T-14. So, even if you don't nail that 180, you'll still have some attractive options.

Hope that helps.

Oh, one more thing: don't freak out.

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 09:21:46 PM »
I'm trying to do whatever I can to get into a top law school, but my GPA is a little low (3.35) so I've made scoring well on the LSAT a high priority.  I'm taking the June LSAT in five weeks and I'm just trying to solicit some opinions on study technique.  I've been studying for about a month and a half at this point, and about a month ago I started taking timed PrepTests on Saturdays.  I've taken four so far and scored 170-170-177-180.  During the week I had been working through various strategy books and whatnot, but I feel like I haven't been getting much out of them the last couple weeks. My plan now is to ramp up and take fourteen more timed tests over the next five weeks, taking one each Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday until the weekend before the test, when I figure I'll focus on relaxation.  I don't plan on doing much studying on the other days of the week, although I may do a games section or two.  Is this a recipe for disaster? I took the SAT cold so I don't really have much of a standard of comparison for how to prep for a test like this.

CM -

You're quite right that the LSAT is where to put your energies.  My suggestion, as someone who did score nearly perfectly, is to ramp up your already commendable schedule.  

You're also right that the day or so before should not be spent "cramming," but calming down and being in top physical and emotional shape.  Before then, however, you might alternate your study on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday--or at least three of those days.  A minimum of three hours per day, six days a week, is a fair bet, plus an extra three hours three days per week.  At a minimum. 

I can imagine there are a few out there who will respond (or think) this crazy.  Perhaps.  But you'll appreciate every one of those extra points that every extra dozen hours of review provides.  In short, the LSAT is the gatekeeper.  Don't fight it.  Embrace it.

I hope this helps,

Thane.

PS:  Want to know the secret of those who score 175 and above?  They enjoy the LSAT.  If you can get to the point where you're enjoying it--actually enjoying it, really!--you're on your way.

PPS:  For reasons I get into in detail in the book, the LSAT is not only not an imprecise indicator, it is a wonderful exam.  It is perhaps the most precise predictive metric, for its purpose and design, of any out there.

PPPS:  Hint #2:  Those who score 175+ know why "PPS" above is true.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 10:24:27 PM »
I know fat chicks that "enjoy" sex, dosn't make them any good at it.... :P

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 03:19:46 AM »
I know fat chicks that "enjoy" sex, dosn't make them any good at it.... :P

Perhaps, but cause does not equal effect. 

It's possible (but unlikely) that one who enjoys the LSAT will bomb the LSAT.  It is, conversely, improbable that one who does not enjoy the LSAT will score a 180, or anything close.

PS:  As to corpulent infant poultry, one might consider the advice of Ben Franklin, who was quite the horndog in his day.

Crying Monkey

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 10:47:53 AM »
Thanks for the advice - from the input I've gotten I've decided to increase my study time a fair bit.  Point well taken about enjoying the test.  Right now I think my mental state is pretty good, and I've made the same observation about having fun on test day.  But with a month left it's starting to get into my head for the first time that this is probably the single most important test I will have taken to date and I need to be super confident walking in. I think if I can pull out a 175+ I have a shot at a t14 school and I'm trying to make sure that I walk out the test knowing I've done everything to prepare that I can do.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 02:45:17 PM »
When your preptests are in the high 170s, it's hard go wrong with your prep.  I personally would lay off the timed tests and make sure I was doing some off the clock stuff where you can really analyze what is really going on with the questions.  Obviously you know how to pick a right answer, but there's a familiarity you can develop where you can pick the right answer without having to think about it.  That does wonders for speed and accuracy.  Every question becomes one you've seen before.  That is LSAT Nirvana.

Also, what Thane said.