Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: shooting for a 180...final stretch  (Read 3003 times)

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: shooting for a 180...final stretch
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 03:59:13 PM »
When your preptests are in the high 170s, it's hard go wrong with your prep.  I personally would lay off the timed tests and make sure I was doing some off the clock stuff where you can really analyze what is really going on with the questions.  Obviously you know how to pick a right answer, but there's a familiarity you can develop where you can pick the right answer without having to think about it.  That does wonders for speed and accuracy.  Every question becomes one you've seen before.  That is LSAT Nirvana.

Also, what Thane said.

Quite right.  (At least as to the first paragraph.  Well, as to "what Thane said" as well.  = :  )

One comment I got on an early draft of GGG from a colleague (who happens to have gone to Yale and, of course, had done quite well on the LSAT) was along these lines.  

The more one prepares for the LSAT, the more one begins to recognize patterns that are duplicated, in various differing verbal versions (i.e., "fact patterns").  The questions we "see" are really the overlay.  After all, there are only so many ways the testers can test logical reasoning.  So, after a while, you'll begin to see the patterns, and suddenly it's no longer Greek.  It's amusing.  Fun even.

And EarlCat is quite right: there is value in evaluating, deeply, what is in each question.  You might add this to your routine, such as blocks of time equal to twice the time that you used to take a timed test.  The purpose is to review and understand EXACTLY why the answer is as it is.  (This is fairly close to the MBE, as well.)

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 05:50:34 AM »
I'm trying to do whatever I can to get into a top law school, but my GPA is a little low (3.35) so I've made scoring well on the LSAT a high priority.  I'm taking the June LSAT in five weeks and I'm just trying to solicit some opinions on study technique.  I've been studying for about a month and a half at this point, and about a month ago I started taking timed PrepTests on Saturdays.  I've taken four so far and scored 170-170-177-180.  During the week I had been working through various strategy books and whatnot, but I feel like I haven't been getting much out of them the last couple weeks. My plan now is to ramp up and take fourteen more timed tests over the next five weeks, taking one each Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday until the weekend before the test, when I figure I'll focus on relaxation.  I don't plan on doing much studying on the other days of the week, although I may do a games section or two.  Is this a recipe for disaster? I took the SAT cold so I don't really have much of a standard of comparison for how to prep for a test like this.

Without reading the rest of the commentary on this thread, I will say that this was pretty similar to what I did and it worked out well enough.  Certainly wasn't a recipe for disaster in my case.  Good luck.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 04:51:53 AM »
Without reading the rest of the commentary on this thread, I will say that this was pretty similar to what I did and it worked out well enough.  Certainly wasn't a recipe for disaster in my case.  Good luck.

A caveat for others on the board as to the right approach to the LSAT.  Clearly, different law students have different goals, and if one's goals are acceptance to a modest school with modest ambitions, that's certainly doable.  Given this market, however, such an approach is quite likely to lead to heartache.

Moreover, most law students are not modest folk.  So, if your goal is acceptance to a law school you would really like to attend, and that law school's admissions statistics indicate that your GPA is a long shot, your only shot (absent a letter of recommendation from Chief Justice Roberts . . . and even then . . . ), is to ace your LSAT.

This means something rather different from "...well enough..." and "...wasn't a recipe for disaster...."

I'm not trying to pick on baby lawyer's words, but words are, after all, meaningful.  If you're in the game, you're IN the game.  Yes?

So, if you're serious about doing well in law school, you must be serious about doing well on the LSAT.

There is no "well enough."  There is only one standard.  Perfect.  Even if you fall short, you want to fall just a wee bit short.  Say, a 179. 

And, aside from raw brainpower, getting that 179 is going to take some work.  The LSAT is one of the most important exams you will take in your life, ever.  Do or do not.  There is no eh.

Deal?

Thane.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 07:27:42 AM »
Moreover, most law students are not modest folk. 

I disagree.  I think a great many of us have learned the value of being understated.

Of course, that's just based on my experience.  I haven't taken a survey.  ;)
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 07:17:55 PM »
Moreover, most law students are not modest folk. 

I disagree.  I think a great many of us have learned the value of being understated.

Of course, that's just based on my experience.  I haven't taken a survey.  ;)

I meant in terms of academics.  = :  )

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2010, 07:20:21 PM »

Quite right, and this is one of the major points of Morten Lund's two Jagged Rocks books and also The Young Lawyer's Jungle Book.  Trying to impress senior partners is the wrong path.  They're smart too.  There's a very different dynamic once one is out of the law school world.

sonofapickle

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2010, 02:24:58 AM »
Note the part where I said I am "shooting for a 180," not "I think I'm necessarily going to get a 180."  Also note that I am asking for input on how to best prepare to achieve my goal.  If I thought that the preptest was a substitute for the real thing, I wouldn't be asking for input into how to best prepare myself, because I would assume that I was already all set.  Do you have any suggestions for how I can best go about preparing myself? Beyond avoiding dysentery, that is.

Believing you will score high may increase the likely hood that you will. Confidence is better than no confidence and shitting your pants on test day. I see no reason why he should not shoot for a 180.

Dude shoot for the 180 and don't listen to the negativity that other bitter people try to give you. I dislike bitter people because they are always trying to bring another down. If you listen to them, you will score low, whereas studying and having that confidence you will score high, will help you much more than them.  There is a possibility that he will score high on the LSAT.

Keep on working and go for the 180 man.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2010, 11:07:06 AM »
"If I dont believe in dragons, they cant eat my family...." ???

sonofapickle

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2010, 02:17:30 PM »
Depends if your family is credulous enough to believe your notion that a Comodo dragon will not eat them and decide to pet a pack of them.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2010, 09:41:40 PM »
Why would I let your mom in my house? ???
She's the only dragonlady I know. :o