Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Advice for open book?  (Read 11481 times)

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Advice for open book?
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2010, 04:43:08 PM »
How does that impact the REAL question at issue(answer it dosnt) you just want to pretend to have a victory.

Explain how you think it makes ANY impact on the question we had at issue?(can you even remember any more)

It took so long for you to give me a yes or no that I barely remember what the issue was. 

I think my point was that when you're testing for relatively advanced knowledge (e.g. calculus), you want to remove very basic skills (e.g. arithmetic) as a variable, since pretty much anyone who's taking calculus will have mastered arithmetic, and any variation in terms in arithmetic is probably coming down to random chance. 

Same thing with law school exams: if you're pretty confident that everybody has the ability to memorize the black letter law (which is, frankly, pretty easy to do), then you want to remove memorization as a variable, since pretty much anyone who's at one of the very top schools has the ability to memorize the black letter law.

And your view is the complete opposite: make the calculus test about arithmetic, make the legal analysis about memorization of the law. 

Just getting clarification that that is what you believe, is all.  :)
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2010, 04:47:54 PM »
you don't think that law should involve the law? :o

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2010, 04:49:39 PM »
you don't think that law should involve the law? :o

You think that lawyers give legal advice based on what they have memorized?

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2010, 04:52:29 PM »
I think lawyers should have to memorise law yes, thats why its "law school"

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2010, 04:55:24 PM »
I think lawyers should have to memorise law yes, thats why its "law school"

Do you think that mathematicians spend their time memorizing the sine/cosine/tangent figures for various angles?  Why bother memorizing things when you can just go look it up in a book or a chart?

The real value that a lawyer adds is knowing where to look and knowing what to do with the information once she finds it.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2010, 04:56:29 PM »
then why not just give a one semester course followed by a one year internship, you could learn that in that much or less, why waste a full 3 years?

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2010, 04:57:46 PM »
then why not just give a one semester course followed by a one year internship, you could learn that in that much or less, why waste a full 3 years?

I never said I thought all three years of law school were valuable.  I think it should be a lot shorter (and more practical), for the record.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2010, 04:58:45 PM »
then why even have a bar exam?

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2010, 05:01:39 PM »
then why even have a bar exam?

It's basically just an entry barrier.  People don't actually give legal advice based on what they have memorized for the bar exam.  I mean it's fine if you have a general sense of what the answer to a question should be based on what you DO remember, but you would always go back and check to make sure it was right because you gave legal advice.  It would be irresponsible not to.  There's too much law out there for anyone to contain it all in one's brain long-term.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2010, 05:02:26 PM »
so  then you'd prefer the bar open book too?