Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Advice for open book?  (Read 10810 times)

redjay

• View Profile
Advice for open book?
« on: May 04, 2010, 10:42:24 AM »
Okay so this may be a shock, but I am a 3L and taking only my second open book exam this semester. I had one before and I did pretty mediocre on it. Does anyone have any good tips?

So far I have made a longer outline..
Went through it to find all the relevant topics and made single page outlines for each of the little issues (about 10 in all)...

Now I don't know what to do next...study the outline over the next couple days as if its not open book? Make some charts to make my answers quicker?

Thanks - I know this is odd coming from a 3rd year, but we have almost all closed book exams at my school.

cooleylawstudent

Re: Advice for open book?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 11:19:29 AM »
congrats on being a real lawstudent. The "T1"'s here only know how to copy&paste last minute and cry about how hard it is. They're about as much use to you as what you find in the latrine after a studybreak.

Just try to memorise it, but yes take it with you if they let you. Try to get your hands on prior exams from that course and see what type of questions are normally asked and focus on those area. I'd say memorise different stuff than what you bring with you, that way you have twice as much to work with.

Specks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 08:59:51 PM »
I'd make a table of contents if you have a large outline. Also, write out a model answer if you can beforehand. This is helpful just to have on hand in case you stall and need to remind  yourself of the general issues to talk about. Also, if you have a really long outline I suggest you make an attack outline. This will be helpful to you for short quick reference without having to flip through a huge outline. I always take two outlines into an exam if it is open book.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 10:14:29 PM »
congrats on being a real lawstudent. The "T1"'s here only know how to copy&paste last minute and cry about how hard it is. They're about as much use to you as what you find in the latrine after a studybreak. 

I know you are just trolling, but how 'bout that closed book bar exam where most T1s pass at 90%+?
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 10:22:43 PM »
No *&^%, I'd say its pathetic you loose 10% when you HAVE YOUR CHEAT SHEET IN FRONT OF YOU THE WHOLE TIME!!!
Yeah not braggin' rights dude.

I know you are just trolling, but how 'bout that closed book bar exam where most T1s pass at 90%+?

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 10:26:19 PM »
No *&^%, I'd say its pathetic you loose 10% when you HAVE YOUR CHEAT SHEET IN FRONT OF YOU THE WHOLE TIME!!!

:D

Except he said closed book bar exam.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 10:29:03 PM »
Yeah, but thats because its all spoonfed stuff a highschooler could pass, try a real exam and then we'll talk.

No bunnies, I'd say its pathetic you loose 10% when you HAVE YOUR CHEAT SHEET IN FRONT OF YOU THE WHOLE TIME!!!

:D

Except he said closed book bar exam.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 10:39:19 PM »
congrats on being a real lawstudent. The "T1"'s here only know how to copy&paste last minute and cry about how hard it is.

You make it sound like memorization is hard.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 10:41:59 PM »
a hell of a lot harder than copy&paste.

congrats on being a real lawstudent. The "T1"'s here only know how to copy&paste last minute and cry about how hard it is.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 10:45:07 PM »
a hell of a lot harder than copy&paste.

You realize that it's not actually possible to copy and paste an answer if you're using examsoft or some other similar software that will not allow you to open up other programs, right?  Maybe you don't.  I don't know if what they say about you being a Michigan student pretending to be a Cooley student is true.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)