Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How bad is Touro?  (Read 4993 times)

Buzzsaw

• View Profile
    • Email
How bad is Touro?
« on: May 03, 2010, 04:14:36 PM »
Hello all,

So far I've only been accepted to Touro out of the schools that I applied to. I know it's 4th tier. I know thats the lowest tier. But exactly how bad is it? Would I have no chance of getting a law job after it? I am not looking for big law or corporate law, I would be completely satisfied doing public interest or public defense.

So, hopefully if anyone has experience with the school, could u tell me just how bad of a choice it is to go there?

byebyeny

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: How bad is Touro?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 07:40:33 PM »
It's bad. You will have a horrible experience. It wouldn't make it any less painful to attend other cheaper public schools. Law School is a nightmare. and no, it wouldn't make a difference if you think you are smart. Intelligence doesn't count much. It's more about knowing what you are doing. And no, don't go to an expensive private school, your life will be going downhill from that point on.

No offense, just telling you how you will be treated once you enter the legal field, and if you attend a school, you will soon realize what I said above is all true. Good luck.

Buzzsaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 08:53:35 PM »
What I meant is not the experience/difficulty level but rather the quality of the education there

byebyeny

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 09:14:33 PM »
quality of education in every law school is basically the same. Why? Professors won't teach you the law. You learn the law yourself and demonstrate your skills in classroom. Don't think of law school as a place where you will 'receive' knowledge from the teachers, think of it as a battleground where you go in to kill or get killed. quality of teachers? every law school will have teachers from harvard, yale, standord etc. you will have at least one ivy league graduate professor for one of your first year classes. Why do they say T4 schools such as Touro is bad? Because every law school is bad. At least some of the higher ranked ones (top20) give you some reward/opportunity(well, probably not very likely in this economy). Don't kid yourself by thinking that you will attend a private school to not make much money later but hold some public job. You won't get it. Even if you get it, you won't be able to repay the debt. If you really really want to go to a law school, read some books, do research on your own, don't believe random poster's comments (contradicting, eh?) or do not be too skeptical. Hope this helps.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 09:24:24 PM »
Honestly, any ABA school teaches you the same exact thing I have a friend at Stanford who is a first year that has the same exact textbook as I do and I go to a tier 4 and we are learning the same exact things.  Bottom line the reason the ABA certifies schools is because they regulate the curriculum and they are all the same particularly first year classes. The U.S. News rankings are a complete joke and not approved by any official organization ABA, AALS, and LSAC adamantly states that U.S. is a profit generating B.S. business they disclaim that specficially on their websites. 

No tier 4 is going to fail out half their class or do anything much differently than any other school. Is Touro Harvard not even close! If you go to a tier 4 you won't have people chasing you down for a job, but if you put the work in you will get a job somewhere. You probably won't sit on the Supreme Court or Work in Big law, but if you want to a lawyer then Touro will be fine. You won't be living a jet-setting lifestyle, but not many lawyers do no matter what school they go to.

Buzzsaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 09:36:24 PM »
Thank you guys,

This help me a lot.

From what I have read elsewhere and from what I heard from a person who graduated from a T1 school, I was told that unless you graduate from the top 3 tier schools, you will never find a job and nobody will want to take it if you got your JD from Touro as opposed to NYU or so.

I am not chasing a "jet flying style". While I would certainly like it, I just want a job to practice law and try and help people (idealistic, I know). I know Law School is grueling but I am confident enough in my abilities that I feel I can handle it. I was just worried that with a J.D from Touro, nobody would want to hire me.

Thanks a lot, this helps alleviate a lot of stress that I have been having. Just to explain my situation further, I didnt do too well on the LSAT, but I have great LOR and GPA and applied to only 3 schools that I can commute to, those being Touro, Hofstra and CUNY. Touro and CUNY have a reputation as bad schools that u will never find a job after graduating, thats why I was worried. Touro accepted me, Hofstra put me on the wait list and the last school I am praying will accept me (since I always wanted to go there).

I was just worried that if I cant get into either of the other two, that I would have to go to Touro and then not be able to find any work because like somebody told me, "nobody will take a person with a Touro JD). I guess that was overexaggerated because this person finished a T1 school.

I have a legitimate interest in the Law and I feel prepared for Law School, in some way, I am even intrigued by the challenge because I never really felt challenged in either High School or College and did well. The LSAT killed my chance to top tier schools, but for some reason I have been awful at standardized tests no matter how much I studied...and I studied extensively for the LSAT...

I know I could take a year off and try again next year, but I dont feel it would be a productive year for me and may actually make my application look worse. I am actually finishing college a few years late due to medical situation and really want to get started on what I am truly interested in.

Thank you for your advice, I sincerely appreciate it.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 09:51:26 PM »
I worked at the New York City Law Department and there were numerous CUNY grads and some Touro that worked there as attorneys. Honestly, if you to law school you can find a job if you put effort in.  That is the bottom line if you get into CUNY you should go there, because it is WAY CHEAPER. 

It is true an NYU or Columbia grad will have a benefit over you no doubt about it and I am sure you pieced that together already, but if you go to law school and you pass the bar you are a lawyer. Simple as that don't get caught up in rankings or B.S. that NOBODY gets a job.  I go to a tier 4 and plenty of alumni are doing just fine for themselves and students have good internships etc. Obviously common sense applies and Stanford or Hastings grad will have an edge over me and I accept that.

byebyeny

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 09:55:00 PM »
If you got into CUNY, go to CUNY. DO NOT GO TO TOURO. Do yourself a favor. This is not a pride game where you tell those around you that you go to a certain school. Do not merely be intrigued by the law, KNOW WHAT THE LAW IS. Why? As soon as you get to law school, you will be surrounded by the people who are very much INTRIGUED BY LAW. Majority of those students have miserable life for 1, 2, 3 or 10 years or more. Why? They don't know what the heck they are doing. If you still have doubts, think about the moment when you have to write $ 1000 paycheck each month to your lender, for the bad experience you had in an institution where you were bashed and stepped on or (if you are lucky) just totally ignored. Be smart. Be doubtful. Don't just smile and think you will somehow be fine.

Buzzsaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 10:13:05 PM »
Thats the problem, I havent gotten a response from CUNY yet. Only Touro accepted me (Hofstra waitlisted me). I am worried because if I dont receive a response from CUNY next week (by the end), I will be forced to send a deposit over to Touro, or risk not going to Law School at all (if Cuny ends up rejecting me).

If I was already accepted to CUNY, I wouldnt be debating anything.

Thanks.

Exposition23

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 10:30:39 PM »
BuzzSaw I'm in the same boat as you. Got my Hofstra Wl letter about two weeks ago. The Touro deposit is due the ned of may and no word from CUNY. When did you send in your apps?