Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chances with LSAT 163 (practice cold) and GPA 3.5-3.7?  (Read 4404 times)

Giersberg

• View Profile
Chances with LSAT 163 (practice cold) and GPA 3.5-3.7?
« on: May 03, 2010, 02:40:10 AM »
Hi.

GPA: I'm a double major in Computer Science and Math at a decent liberal arts college. I have a 3.75 gpa here, all A's and a several C's in a single semester (most recently) I screwed up in while taking 3 graduate Math courses in addition to 3 undergraduate science courses.

I took a bunch of humanities and basic math courses at a community college for "Dual Credit" prior to receiving my high school diploma, I received a D, F, and several W's. This brings my GPA down to a little below 3.5 if I include this. Should I include an addendum to address this?

I have racked up a ton of college credit hours, almost 160 at my Junior year. Will my difficult majors, publications, large course loads (18 hours most semesters with only science and math courses), help me in the T14, or are law schools only concerned with the actual GPA number?

LSAT: I took the free practice test online cold and got a 163. It took me a few hours, but overall, I felt very confident in comprehending and answering the types of questions on the test, and I know I can do well if I study for it.

Assuming a 170+ LSAT score, how will my grades affect me, and where should I look to apply in the Top 14 schools?
Thanks.

cooleylawstudent

Re: Chances with LSAT 163 (practice cold) and GPA 3.5-3.7?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 02:56:59 AM »
"Assumeing" makes an "ass" out of "you" and "me" take the test then go from there hotshot.

Hi.

GPA: I'm a double major in Computer Science and Math at a decent liberal arts college. I have a 3.75 gpa here, all A's and a several C's in a single semester (most recently) I screwed up in while taking 3 graduate Math courses in addition to 3 undergraduate science courses.

I took a bunch of humanities and basic math courses at a community college for "Dual Credit" prior to receiving my high school diploma, I received a D, F, and several W's. This brings my GPA down to a little below 3.5 if I include this. Should I include an addendum to address this?

I have racked up a ton of college credit hours, almost 160 at my Junior year. Will my difficult majors, publications, large course loads (18 hours most semesters with only science and math courses), help me in the T14, or are law schools only concerned with the actual GPA number?

LSAT: I took the free practice test online cold and got a 163. It took me a few hours, but overall, I felt very confident in comprehending and answering the types of questions on the test, and I know I can do well if I study for it.

Assuming a 170+ LSAT score, how will my grades affect me, and where should I look to apply in the Top 14 schools?
Thanks.

sequoia90

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 02:35:04 AM »
Your chances rock.

Study study study the LSAT and you can get yourself up into the 170s (and into a T14).

I started with a strikingly similar score and got a 3.3 in college. I studied and got up into the 170s, and now have $$$ at a T-14.

PM/email me if you have any specific questions.

sonofapickle

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 02:35:16 AM »
"Assumeing" makes an "ass" out of "you" and "me" take the test then go from there hotshot.

You have been flagged as a hater.

That is great you scored so high on a cold practice test. But, do not get full of yourself and neglect to take adequate time to prepare for the LSAT. Prepare for the test by studying and learning the individual types of logic games, logical reasoning, and increasing your comprehension scores. You already score much higher than a bunch of people who have studied, so hone your skills and make your strengths even stronger and your weaknesses better. I have no doubt that you will do good on the actual test when you decide to take it, but you should study months ahead before the test so you can score in the very top percentile.

From the scores you listed right now you could get into one of the top 20-50 schools. Finish up most classes for your major and try to increase your GPA towards a 3.85, if possible, study for the LSAT, and if you do I am going to guess that you will score in the high 170s, around 177-79. If you do score that high and increased your GPA to a 3.7-.8 then I would say you will more than likely get into either an Ivy league or one of the top 10 which is great.

Keep on working and do NOT slip or get full of yourself. I am too knowledgeable on the subject of being full of yourself and then being surprised when things turn out different from what you thought.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 11:01:36 AM »
wow, a "hater" wow................ ::)

sonofapickle

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 02:19:30 PM »
Just because you are bitter you could not score high on a practice test cold does not mean you should act in such a cruel, lofty manner towards someone who obviously has scored higher.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 09:40:36 PM »
Actually junior, I picked up that saying in the armed forces. Something that I doubt you'll ever fully understand, but heads up, just in case you grow a pair and want to earn your keep, assume DOES make an ass out of you and me. Trust me, the next time that you "assume" your gasmask is secure in the CS chamber you might just understand :P

As for being bitter, you realise that I took that years ago and have been in lawschool for 2 terms now right? ::)

sonofapickle

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 10:14:57 PM »
Right, I won't understand and never intend to understand such rudimentary saying that only apply to those within the military as you guys have sayings that those not inside the group have no way of knowing unless told. Logical reasoning was your worst area on the LSAT from what I am assuming.

You are assuming within two different contexts anyway. 1) assumption is based primarily on the conditions that because you took a test cold you might have a chance of taking the test and doing pretty well on it. That assumption is more along the lines of an educated assumption. 2) assumption is based on the individual wondering whether s/he properly attached the gas mask which, from what you've stated, has no proper basis to be guessing. He or she must back track and decide whether it is attached properly or double check. Two different assumptive cases in my opinion.

Your last point is not tantamount to your score on the test as you still could have scored a 147 on the test and attend a lack-luster law school.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 10:57:06 PM »
ok wannabe, let me know when you catchup with the bigboys. You speak a big game for someone too scared to even take the test himself.

sonofapickle

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 11:46:37 PM »
Lol, I am officially done with you. From how you describe yourself I am presuming you are in your mid-to-late 20's, yet you act as though you are a prepubescent child with a mental deficit. I have no time to squabble on a message board with someone who obviously feels the need to bring others down on the Internet because of his own inadequacy to match up to others' better than himself. While I won't degrade the OP's topic with further inane posts like yours, I will opt out of this pettifogging.

veni vidi vici!