Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why cooley is the best law school ever.  (Read 7197 times)

cooleylawstudent

Why cooley is the best law school ever.
« on: May 03, 2010, 01:22:40 AM »
 8)  add your reasons why you love your school.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Why cooley is the best law school ever.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 11:03:56 PM »
I honestly do love the fact that they have their own rankings. I think it is an awesome slap in the face to the U.S. News ranking which literally has as much merit as Cooley's system does.  In fact Cooley's actually is a better formula, because at least they do use objective standards even if it is the amount of chairs a school has at least that is measurable. 

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 02:20:18 PM »
I honestly do love the fact that they have their own rankings. I think it is an awesome slap in the face to the U.S. News ranking which literally has as much merit as Cooley's system does.  In fact Cooley's actually is a better formula, because at least they do use objective standards even if it is the amount of chairs a school has at least that is measurable. 

This fails at all levels.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 04:11:43 PM »
Why Cooley like U.S. News out of nowhere decided to come up with ranking system. It is identical neither ranking system was required or even approved by anybody they both just a system up out of thin air. I know Cooley might be a little biased on it's face since it is Cooley's ranking, but honestly you think these "Peers" are not biased as well? They went to law schools and I am sure are favorable to certain schools.

Me and you can make a ranking system right now
(Schools that have students that post on LSD make up 80% of a schools ranking)
(average daily temperature of city school is located in 18%)
(we will bring a little objectivity into the rankings also so like U.S. News amazing formula we will put in that moderatly important aspect of bar passage 2% just like U.S. News

FSU and GGU we both post on here and Florida and California are hot. I think FSU has a better passage rate so I will be content with ranking
FSU #1 of all schools
GGU #2 of all schools

That is a pretty good formula it has much merit as Cooley's or U.S. New's Nobody asked me to come up with and I made it up, but it works right.

Both systems are a complete joke they make absolutley no sense.

Are Harvard and Yale better schools than GGU??????? Ummmm YES! I knew that when I was 5.  Is Williamette better than FIU? Who f'ing knows they are both law schools. 

Honestly if you came to San Francisco with a degree from Florida State you would probably have a hard time finding employment and if I went to Miami or Jacksonville I would have a hard time finding employment, despite the fact that FSU is ranked higher.  You are going to end up in Florida and I am going to end up in California.  Obviously, there will be some exceptions, but at the end of the day number 62 or 93 doesn't matter.

It's like someone playing basketball at University of Wyoming and transferring to Univeristy of Idaho their sophomore year because Wyoming went to 72 or Idaho moved up 56. It wouldn't matter freaking matter. If the guy from Wyoming could transfer to Duke then yes that is another story, but who the hell cares whether someone plays at Idaho or Wyoming the player will be good at basketball.

Who cares if you go to law school at Gonzaga or Texas Wesleyan? You will know the law and you were smart enough and worked hard enough to get into law school and pass the bar. Obvioulsy Harvard or Stanford will open more doors, but why the hell does anybody waste their time ranking between 72 and 98????? It makes no sense particularly on a HORRENDOUS FORMULA that doesn't measure anything it literally has as much merit as the ranking system I just made up.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 07:00:59 PM »
name them.

This fails at all levels.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 07:43:27 AM »
Why Cooley like U.S. News out of nowhere decided to come up with ranking system. It is identical neither ranking system was required or even approved by anybody they both just a system up out of thin air. I know Cooley might be a little biased on it's face since it is Cooley's ranking, but honestly you think these "Peers" are not biased as well? They went to law schools and I am sure are favorable to certain schools.

Me and you can make a ranking system right now
(Schools that have students that post on LSD make up 80% of a schools ranking)
(average daily temperature of city school is located in 18%)
(we will bring a little objectivity into the rankings also so like U.S. News amazing formula we will put in that moderatly important aspect of bar passage 2% just like U.S. News

FSU and GGU we both post on here and Florida and California are hot. I think FSU has a better passage rate so I will be content with ranking
FSU #1 of all schools
GGU #2 of all schools

That is a pretty good formula it has much merit as Cooley's or U.S. New's Nobody asked me to come up with and I made it up, but it works right.

Both systems are a complete joke they make absolutley no sense.

Are Harvard and Yale better schools than GGU??????? Ummmm YES! I knew that when I was 5.  Is Williamette better than FIU? Who f'ing knows they are both law schools. 

Honestly if you came to San Francisco with a degree from Florida State you would probably have a hard time finding employment and if I went to Miami or Jacksonville I would have a hard time finding employment, despite the fact that FSU is ranked higher.  You are going to end up in Florida and I am going to end up in California.  Obviously, there will be some exceptions, but at the end of the day number 62 or 93 doesn't matter.

It's like someone playing basketball at University of Wyoming and transferring to Univeristy of Idaho their sophomore year because Wyoming went to 72 or Idaho moved up 56. It wouldn't matter freaking matter. If the guy from Wyoming could transfer to Duke then yes that is another story, but who the hell cares whether someone plays at Idaho or Wyoming the player will be good at basketball.

Who cares if you go to law school at Gonzaga or Texas Wesleyan? You will know the law and you were smart enough and worked hard enough to get into law school and pass the bar. Obvioulsy Harvard or Stanford will open more doors, but why the hell does anybody waste their time ranking between 72 and 98????? It makes no sense particularly on a HORRENDOUS FORMULA that doesn't measure anything it literally has as much merit as the ranking system I just made up.

Bigs would you be willing to listen to an alternative suggestion that addresses most of your objections to USNews (most of which are quite valid) but doesn't throw out their rankings altogether?
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 01:10:03 PM »
Yea do it like the NCAA and rank the top 25 make it honor to be listed not a requirement. I think if are deciding between Penn and NYU then the rankings might matter. Just like if you are a college basketball player and you are choosing between North Carolina and Duke the ranking would matter.

The NCAA doesn't rank out of the top 25 because it didn't matter. Would you be shocked if San Jose State beat UC Irvine in basketball? If San Jose State was ranked 92 and Irvine was ranked 109 I imagine not. Would be shocked if San Jose State beat Duke yes.  So rank the top 25 law schools and no more.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 04:36:59 PM »
gotta make sure to include #12 then! ;)

Yea do it like the NCAA and rank the top 25 make it honor to be listed not a requirement. I think if are deciding between Penn and NYU then the rankings might matter. Just like if you are a college basketball player and you are choosing between North Carolina and Duke the ranking would matter.

The NCAA doesn't rank out of the top 25 because it didn't matter. Would you be shocked if San Jose State beat UC Irvine in basketball? If San Jose State was ranked 92 and Irvine was ranked 109 I imagine not. Would be shocked if San Jose State beat Duke yes.  So rank the top 25 law schools and no more.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 10:23:18 AM »

Hmmm.  Are you saying that you think that there's some validity to the USNews top 25 rankings?  Because you make it sound like they're completely worthless.

How about regional rankings below the top 25, using opinions and peer assessments from within the region?
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 02:54:10 AM »
The rankings are obviously somewhat accurate yes Harvard is better than GGU they got it right! I already knew that the sky is blue maybe someone should pay me for that statement.

The rankings are not worthless I just think outside out of the elite schools they are. Like the example of a football player transferring from San Jose State to Florida International University because FIU was 68th in the nation and San Jose State was 92. At either school you are going to play football and you tackle people, lift weights, run, play games, have coaches etc. If the player wanted to be in San Jose from reason he should football at San Jose if the guy wanted to live in Miami he should play at FIU.  The rankings of 68 and 92 are irrelevant the guy will be good at football, but not an elite athlete that got recruited by USC or something.

Just like at any law school you are going to read, get called on, take exams.  At Santa Clara or Hofstra you will do those exact things. If the person wants to live in San Jose go to Santa Clara if they want to live in Long Island go to Hofstra if Santa Clara is 72 and Hofstra is 92.  Now if the person gets into Yale then f'it go to New Haven that will open unlimited doors.  The difference between Santa Clara and Hofstra though doesn't really matter.

Regional rankings they might matter, but even then they screw people I know 3 people that transferred from GGU to USF and Santa Clara technically higher ranked, but they are working with their people from their 1L section from GGU. They lost scholarship money they could have kept had they stayed at GGU.  Santa Clara and USF got them the same places that GGU got the transfers, except the people at GGU have less debt.  The transfers can say they graduted from the 88th best school instead of the 111th, but at the end of the day who cares. If you transferred into Stanford or Berkley then yea do it, but even regionally the rankings are pretty irrelevant.