Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why cooley is the best law school ever.  (Read 7328 times)

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Why cooley is the best law school ever.
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2010, 07:09:36 PM »
BLSE, nuff said.  8)

mabey they're just scared to leave their daddys house, idiot sevonts tend to be that way.

ROFL that is between you and that other kid. I'm staying out of that one.

Why DID you choose cooley?

I'm a bit slow on sundays...wut?

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2010, 10:12:35 PM »
Best Law School Ever (like the subject of this thread says)

BLSE, nuff said.  8)

mabey they're just scared to leave their daddys house, idiot sevonts tend to be that way.

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2010, 10:37:35 PM »

BLSE, nuff said.  8)

I ask a serious question expecting a response detailing the thoughts going through your mind that made you decide it is the best...and you just...ugh.

Nevermind.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2010, 10:43:48 PM »
Hey, its not my fault that my lady is prettier than the other ladies out there. Call it Amore'  :-*

BLSE, nuff said.  8)

I ask a serious question expecting a response detailing the thoughts going through your mind that made you decide it is the best...and you just...ugh.

Nevermind.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2010, 12:26:08 AM »
More like split it by top 10 and then Everybody Else.

And what these rankings are, really, are a rank of the law schools' relative worth/importance to biglaw. 

I am by no means an expert but I put myself in the shoes of a small law practice and if I as a lawyer know it costs a grip for this applicant to attend xyz top 10-14 law school and that they wouldn't even look at my firm if the economy wasn't so bad, plus they can't repay their debt on my salary...why take them over a traditional applicant from a less pricey local or regional school?

I would think a smart hiring partner would realize someone who got through law school on a full scholarship or with minor debt has much more leeway to take a lower paying job and not be miserable about it.

I think 25 is actually a fair number.  Also, not just biglaw.  Yale is #1 because of its importance to academia and the judiciary, for example.

And hiring partners don't really ask, "how much debt do you have?"  Also, the less debt a lawyer has, the easier it is for that person to walk away from their job, so from that perspective a high-debt lawyer is actually someone over whom an employer will have more leverage.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2010, 01:58:25 AM »
Thats baloney. The military wont give you a security clearnence if you have too much debt for a simple reason, you're hundreds of times more likely to be  a sellout. Either as a spy, or in the civilian world jump corporate ships for better pay. They only "own" you in you suck and can't prove yourself worthy to the competition.

More like split it by top 10 and then Everybody Else.

And what these rankings are, really, are a rank of the law schools' relative worth/importance to biglaw. 

I am by no means an expert but I put myself in the shoes of a small law practice and if I as a lawyer know it costs a grip for this applicant to attend xyz top 10-14 law school and that they wouldn't even look at my firm if the economy wasn't so bad, plus they can't repay their debt on my salary...why take them over a traditional applicant from a less pricey local or regional school?

I would think a smart hiring partner would realize someone who got through law school on a full scholarship or with minor debt has much more leeway to take a lower paying job and not be miserable about it.

I think 25 is actually a fair number.  Also, not just biglaw.  Yale is #1 because of its importance to academia and the judiciary, for example.

And hiring partners don't really ask, "how much debt do you have?"  Also, the less debt a lawyer has, the easier it is for that person to walk away from their job, so from that perspective a high-debt lawyer is actually someone over whom an employer will have more leverage.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2010, 05:22:33 AM »
They only "own" you in you suck and can't prove yourself worthy to the competition.

I like how you act like you know what you're talking about.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2010, 10:59:51 AM »
On some things I do. This is one of them.
I get it that some may have "do not compete" clauses in their contracts, but those normally only apply withinn a 50 miles radius. Thats only about one county.

They only "own" you in you suck and can't prove yourself worthy to the competition.

I like how you act like you know what you're talking about.

sonofapickle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2010, 01:00:24 PM »
High debt lawyers and the military? No wonder you guys cannot find common ground. A high debt lawyer is one who does not have many options outside of his field, but even then, it is easy to generate less debt, maximize profitability, and garner a sense of "don't give a damn," within the legal world that will land you a job. If I fail at law, which is like a 2 percent chance, I can go to medical school. My folks have paid up most of my undergrad, so that leaves me with an abundance of loan money I can take out in law school.

Here is a tip: when in law school, take out a 50k + loan, you can almost get them if you look for one, try a bank but you have to have good credit and a co-signer (my parents have extremely good credit, and I haven't messed up my credit, so it would work), after that take the 30k of the 50k and buy some commodities that you have studied and know will be good in a bearish market.After you sell the commodities at a capital, not loss, you will have more than 50k, say you sell each above their original 'x' price you bought them for and had enough to cover the other variables, you now have more money possibly tipping on 170k. Then you take a portion of the 170k, say 65k as you need more than 100 to have entrance into a trade scene. You could possibly, with adequate study time and knowing the markets, turn that 65 into 300k, depending on whether you have good patience and risk management. Anyway... That is all the advice I will give you.

By making profit in Law School, I will become an instant millionaire once I am out. Not only that, if I loose money over the course of a year, then I can make it back as I have an adequate stream of money called Financial Aid. Idiots go into debt in law school.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2010, 01:07:41 PM »
He has arisin!  ::)

High debt lawyers and the military? No wonder you guys cannot find common ground. A high debt lawyer is one who does not have many options outside of his field, but even then, it is easy to generate less debt, maximize profitability, and garner a sense of "don't give a damn," within the legal world that will land you a job. If I fail at law, which is like a 2 percent chance, I can go to medical school. My folks have paid up most of my undergrad, so that leaves me with an abundance of loan money I can take out in law school.

Here is a tip: when in law school, take out a 50k + loan, you can almost get them if you look for one, try a bank but you have to have good credit and a co-signer (my parents have extremely good credit, and I haven't messed up my credit, so it would work), after that take the 30k of the 50k and buy some commodities that you have studied and know will be good in a bearish market.After you sell the commodities at a capital, not loss, you will have more than 50k, say you sell each above their original 'x' price you bought them for and had enough to cover the other variables, you now have more money possibly tipping on 170k. Then you take a portion of the 170k, say 65k as you need more than 100 to have entrance into a trade scene. You could possibly, with adequate study time and knowing the markets, turn that 65 into 300k, depending on whether you have good patience and risk management. Anyway... That is all the advice I will give you.

By making profit in Law School, I will become an instant millionaire once I am out. Not only that, if I loose money over the course of a year, then I can make it back as I have an adequate stream of money called Financial Aid. Idiots go into debt in law school.