Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why cooley is the best law school ever.  (Read 7223 times)

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Why cooley is the best law school ever.
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2010, 07:11:35 PM »
USF has a 20% attrition  GGU has a 24% attrition rate. For first year roughly equal in my opinion.

They did just update the LSAC info and GGU's bar passage rate went from 77% to 68% and USF is at 82% so that is a significant 68% compared to 82% and they both had approximately the same people reporting.  How much does the bar passage rate reflect the quality of the school? It is hard to say because it is a standardized test, but I think a school does fail a student if they grant them a J.D. and they don't pass the bar.

That is an objective report though and if U.S. News put more than 2% consideration into their rankings for bar passage I would take them a lot more seriously. At the end of the day if I go to Harvard or Cooley and don't pass the bar I would be kind of po'ed, because neither school should have let me graduate if I couldn't pass the bar.

ROFL I didn't even know USF had a law school.  Why did I say UF and you go find some school that's not even part of the conversation (and apparently for good reason) and start using that to make your point?

smh.   

Law schools aren't here to make people pass bars. Their job is to award JD's to those who have learned the curriculum satisfactorily.

BarBri's job is to get people to pass the bar. :-)

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2010, 10:17:51 AM »
That is an objective report though and if U.S. News put more than 2% consideration into their rankings for bar passage I would take them a lot more seriously. At the end of the day if I go to Harvard or Cooley and don't pass the bar I would be kind of po'ed, because neither school should have let me graduate if I couldn't pass the bar.

This is nonsense.  If you go to Harvard and don't pass the bar exam, it's because you didn't prepare for it properly during the summer before the exam.  I won't argue that it is the responsibility of some schools to prepare you for the bar, but at the very top schools the presumption is that you can prepare for it during those two months after you graduate, because it's just a bunch of memorization that is relatively easy for anyone at that level.

Maybe if they split up the rankings so that there was the top 25 and then there were regional rankings, bar passage should count for more for the non-top schools.  It doesn't make sense for the top schools.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2010, 10:59:16 AM »

This is nonsense.  If you go to Harvard and don't pass the bar exam, it's because you didn't prepare for it properly during the summer before the exam.  I won't argue that it is the responsibility of some schools to prepare you for the bar, but at the very top schools the presumption is that you can prepare for it during those two months after you graduate, because it's just a bunch of memorization that is relatively easy for anyone at that level.

Maybe if they split up the rankings so that there was the top 25 and then there were regional rankings, bar passage should count for more for the non-top schools.  It doesn't make sense for the top schools.

More like split it by top 10 and then Everybody Else.

And what these rankings are, really, are a rank of the law schools' relative worth/importance to biglaw. 

I am by no means an expert but I put myself in the shoes of a small law practice and if I as a lawyer know it costs a grip for this applicant to attend xyz top 10-14 law school and that they wouldn't even look at my firm if the economy wasn't so bad, plus they can't repay their debt on my salary...why take them over a traditional applicant from a less pricey local or regional school?

I would think a smart hiring partner would realize someone who got through law school on a full scholarship or with minor debt has much more leeway to take a lower paying job and not be miserable about it.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2010, 11:45:11 AM »
How do you know that someone who was offered full rides at Ivy League schools  didnt pick to go to cooley instead? Mabey they just don't like the smell of manure.  ::)

And what these rankings are, really, are a rank of the law schools' relative worth/importance to biglaw. 

I am by no means an expert but I put myself in the shoes of a small law practice and if I as a lawyer know it costs a grip for this applicant to attend xyz top 10-14 law school and that they wouldn't even look at my firm if the economy wasn't so bad, plus they can't repay their debt on my salary...why take them over a traditional applicant from a less pricey local or regional school?

I would think a smart hiring partner would realize someone who got through law school on a full scholarship or with minor debt has much more leeway to take a lower paying job and not be miserable about it.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2010, 12:32:50 PM »

If the rankings claimed they were only about BigLaw then I would not have problem with them. It would continue down the path that it is pointless to rank outside of the top 25 maybe 50. I am sure at BigLaw firms there are approximately as many Gonzaga/Hofstra Grads as there are GGU/Cal Western/Southwestern Grads. Biglaw does not care about tier 2/3/4 you have to be exceptional from one of those schools to get into BigLaw.

I think regional rankings and bar passage would be fair, but it would have to be by state. If they did all the California schools and used bar passage rate and let it make up 60% of the rankings and actually went more in depth as to what placement means then I would have no problem with it. You can agree that schools screw with placement, I went to a couple schools and asked for in-depth salary information etc and schools count unpaid internships at graduation as placement and I think we can agree that is B.S. and clearly not what you would consider EMPLOYMENT PLACEMENT after going 100k in debt.

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2010, 04:22:43 PM »
How do you know that someone who was offered full rides at Ivy League schools  didnt pick to go to cooley instead? Mabey they just don't like the smell of manure.  ::)

*snickers* yeah ok.

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2010, 04:23:18 PM »

If the rankings claimed they were only about BigLaw then I would not have problem with them. It would continue down the path that it is pointless to rank outside of the top 25 maybe 50. I am sure at BigLaw firms there are approximately as many Gonzaga/Hofstra Grads as there are GGU/Cal Western/Southwestern Grads. Biglaw does not care about tier 2/3/4 you have to be exceptional from one of those schools to get into BigLaw.

I think regional rankings and bar passage would be fair, but it would have to be by state. If they did all the California schools and used bar passage rate and let it make up 60% of the rankings and actually went more in depth as to what placement means then I would have no problem with it. You can agree that schools screw with placement, I went to a couple schools and asked for in-depth salary information etc and schools count unpaid internships at graduation as placement and I think we can agree that is B.S. and clearly not what you would consider EMPLOYMENT PLACEMENT after going 100k in debt.

True.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2010, 04:30:25 PM »
mabey they're just scared to leave their daddys house, idiot sevonts tend to be that way.

*snickers* yeah ok.

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2010, 04:39:04 PM »
mabey they're just scared to leave their daddys house, idiot sevonts tend to be that way.

ROFL that is between you and that other kid. I'm staying out of that one.

Why DID you choose cooley?

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2010, 05:33:55 PM »
BLSE, nuff said.  8)

ROFL that is between you and that other kid. I'm staying out of that one.

Why DID you choose cooley?