Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why cooley is the best law school ever.  (Read 6968 times)

sonofapickle

Re: Why cooley is the best law school ever.
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2010, 03:09:54 PM »
In other words, they weren't smart enough for Law.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2010, 05:30:36 PM »
Yea of course there will be a few people that don't make it who do put in the work. Even Hastings and I wouldn't shocked if Harvard, Yale had a few people that just don't make it. It is really sad, there is one kid in my section that does try really hard and he got a 1.9 first semester and may not be coming back depending on how he did. Who knows maybe I got straight D's second semester and will be kicked out. If I got straight D's after all the work I put in to studying then the law is not for me and they should kick me out.

Hastings as an example let two friends of mine stay when they should have been kicked out and now they have both failed the bar twice. They had horrible GPA's and were at the bottom of their class all 3 years, they should have dismissed them instead of collecting from them for two more years. I think tier 4's are a lot more honest and kick people out if they really don't think they are going to make it, which is the way it should be.

sonofapickle

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2010, 06:31:39 PM »
Law is just a bunch of reasoning and remembering. How the hell can you pull a D in easy work? Try out electromagnetic theory and quantum mechanics and see if you do any better... You won't, trust me. I pulled a straight B in those classes but finished. I never had a B until I decided to take those two classes together. Worst semester of my life and I was on the edge pretty much as quantum mechanics is a true mindf^cker. Anyway, I view law as something I not only love but is easy to me.

People need to find their strengths and physics is no strength of mine. I got a B on the skin of my teeth by studying for the final test and doing some extra credit.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2010, 08:08:01 PM »
Your ignorance is becoming baffling to me. Physics has absolutely nothing to do with law school.

I learned to dunk a basketball and bench 250 pounds I did through hard work so therefore I should be able to master physics and law school. Those two things are just as unrelated.

You obviously have a good educational background, but guess what so does everybody in law school.  You will be in competition with them.

I have given this example on this website, but I was a top H.S. school basketball player and I was really good in high school. Guess what happened, when I went to play college everybody was really good and I was not special anymore, because everybody was good at basketball and I was the 6th or 7th best on the team.

Whatever, law school you go to there will be a lot of smart people some with a lot more education and experience than you and you will be in competition with them. Maybe there will be an idiot savant in your class that is a complete retard, but somehow has a knack for the law and will get a better grade than you, despite you being able to speak two languages and having done well.

You keep talking as if you have accomplished something, but you have even taken the LSAT yet. Whatever you get the first day of law school nobody is going to care they will all have similar scores and experiences to you and you will be in competition with them. I wish you the best in law school, but you really to need to understand whatever you did in the past means ja*k as far as law school grades. All that matters is a 3 hour final you take for each class that's it. You could have 8 nobel peace prizes and not understand what is on the final and get a D.  The professor has no idea who you are when they grade your exam you are simply a number.

You can continue telling yourself how great you are and if that ends up working out great, but I am just telling you with my 1 year of law school, which in no way makes me an expert anything, but I do know what happens in the first year of law school and I know that nobody really cares how smart you were or what you did in the past.  When it comes to grades and class ranking it is all based on 3 hour test and nothing else.   

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2010, 08:12:30 PM »
Yea of course there will be a few people that don't make it who do put in the work. Even Hastings and I wouldn't shocked if Harvard, Yale had a few people that just don't make it. It is really sad, there is one kid in my section that does try really hard and he got a 1.9 first semester and may not be coming back depending on how he did. Who knows maybe I got straight D's second semester and will be kicked out. If I got straight D's after all the work I put in to studying then the law is not for me and they should kick me out.

Hastings as an example let two friends of mine stay when they should have been kicked out and now they have both failed the bar twice. They had horrible GPA's and were at the bottom of their class all 3 years, they should have dismissed them instead of collecting from them for two more years. I think tier 4's are a lot more honest and kick people out if they really don't think they are going to make it, which is the way it should be.

Yep, their attrition rate is .5% or so.

So even Yalies can fail out.  Just at a far...FARRRR lower rate than the folks admitted to a school like Cooley.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2010, 11:57:56 AM »
It makes perfect sense why Yale flunks out a lot fewer people, because if you get into Yale you obviously are pretty damn mart academically, but there are exceptions. I would never for a second say Cooley is on the same caliber as Yale.  If I had a kid or I had the choice between GGU and Yale I would obviously choose Yale. However, a school like USF or Santa Clara has approximately the same attrition rates as GGU 26 academic attrition students from USF and 17 at Santa Clara compared to 35 at GGU. \

True GGU has a few more students fail out, but it is by no means mandatory to fail out students at any school.  A difference of 9 students between USF and GGU shows the difference between a tier 2 or tier 4 at the end of the day doesn't really matter. Stanford had nobody fail out and Stanford is a pretty damn good school and nobody is questioning that and I had I gotten a 178 on my LSAT that is where I would be.

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2010, 01:15:38 PM »
It makes perfect sense why Yale flunks out a lot fewer people, because if you get into Yale you obviously are pretty damn mart academically, but there are exceptions. I would never for a second say Cooley is on the same caliber as Yale.  If I had a kid or I had the choice between GGU and Yale I would obviously choose Yale. However, a school like USF or Santa Clara has approximately the same attrition rates as GGU 26 academic attrition students from USF and 17 at Santa Clara compared to 35 at GGU. \

True GGU has a few more students fail out, but it is by no means mandatory to fail out students at any school.  A difference of 9 students between USF and GGU shows the difference between a tier 2 or tier 4 at the end of the day doesn't really matter. Stanford had nobody fail out and Stanford is a pretty damn good school and nobody is questioning that and I had I gotten a 178 on my LSAT that is where I would be.

Even further down the line, UF has far lower attrition rates than Cooley.  Not sure what GGU's rate is but instead of you saying "a few more" how about posting the 1L attrition rates of BOTH GGU and any school you are comparing it to?  That is objective.  You saying a few more tells me nothing, could be a few more than 5% or a few more than 15%...which are at opposite ends of the spectrum of attrition rates far as I'm concerned.  A few more than 5 is still in single digits. A few more than 15 is getting from ridiculous to WTF levels.

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2010, 01:29:08 PM »
I honestly do love the fact that they have their own rankings. I think it is an awesome slap in the face to the U.S. News ranking which literally has as much merit as Cooley's system does.  In fact Cooley's actually is a better formula, because at least they do use objective standards even if it is the amount of chairs a school has at least that is measurable. 

This fails at all levels.

ROFL I KNEW you wouldn't let this thread slide. lol.

OP did you actually tell us why you love Cooley?  It's not located somewhere I would want to live and work so that's my particular reason for not feeling any interest...also it's name sounds like an Indian slang for lower classes of East Indians (coolie) so I just don't feel comfortable going to a whole school named that.  The word is popular in my culture and if I tell anyone in my family who has no clue about law schools, the name alone is going to make them raise eyebrows and laugh because of the cultural meaning, times two for it being a school they never heard of.

That's like that school over in LYNCHburg, VA.  Va already has a bad reputation...hell I look like going to a school in a place with a name that makes the hairs on the back of my neck rise.  Ahhhh no I'll pass. Trivial reasons but still. 

lol I remember when I just came to America and saw a place in the newspaper named Tivoli Gardens...I nearly died laughing.  No self-respecting person from my country would come all the way to America to live somewhere named after the most infamous ghetto in my country.  Not even if you paid them. lol.

What's in a name indeed. ROFL

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2010, 05:07:26 PM »
Not sure what Coolie means but Thomas M Cooley was a jurist.

I honestly do love the fact that they have their own rankings. I think it is an awesome slap in the face to the U.S. News ranking which literally has as much merit as Cooley's system does.  In fact Cooley's actually is a better formula, because at least they do use objective standards even if it is the amount of chairs a school has at least that is measurable. 

This fails at all levels.

ROFL I KNEW you wouldn't let this thread slide. lol.

OP did you actually tell us why you love Cooley?  It's not located somewhere I would want to live and work so that's my particular reason for not feeling any interest...also it's name sounds like an Indian slang for lower classes of East Indians (coolie) so I just don't feel comfortable going to a whole school named that.  The word is popular in my culture and if I tell anyone in my family who has no clue about law schools, the name alone is going to make them raise eyebrows and laugh because of the cultural meaning, times two for it being a school they never heard of.

That's like that school over in LYNCHburg, VA.  Va already has a bad reputation...hell I look like going to a school in a place with a name that makes the hairs on the back of my neck rise.  Ahhhh no I'll pass. Trivial reasons but still. 

lol I remember when I just came to America and saw a place in the newspaper named Tivoli Gardens...I nearly died laughing.  No self-respecting person from my country would come all the way to America to live somewhere named after the most infamous ghetto in my country.  Not even if you paid them. lol.

What's in a name indeed. ROFL

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2010, 05:39:41 PM »
USF has a 20% attrition  GGU has a 24% attrition rate. For first year roughly equal in my opinion.

They did just update the LSAC info and GGU's bar passage rate went from 77% to 68% and USF is at 82% so that is a significant 68% compared to 82% and they both had approximately the same people reporting.  How much does the bar passage rate reflect the quality of the school? It is hard to say because it is a standardized test, but I think a school does fail a student if they grant them a J.D. and they don't pass the bar.

That is an objective report though and if U.S. News put more than 2% consideration into their rankings for bar passage I would take them a lot more seriously. At the end of the day if I go to Harvard or Cooley and don't pass the bar I would be kind of po'ed, because neither school should have let me graduate if I couldn't pass the bar.