Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why cooley is the best law school ever.  (Read 7135 times)

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Why cooley is the best law school ever.
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »
The rankings are obviously somewhat accurate yes Harvard is better than GGU they got it right! I already knew that the sky is blue maybe someone should pay me for that statement.

The rankings are not worthless I just think outside out of the elite schools they are. Like the example of a football player transferring from San Jose State to Florida International University because FIU was 68th in the nation and San Jose State was 92. At either school you are going to play football and you tackle people, lift weights, run, play games, have coaches etc. If the player wanted to be in San Jose from reason he should football at San Jose if the guy wanted to live in Miami he should play at FIU.  The rankings of 68 and 92 are irrelevant the guy will be good at football, but not an elite athlete that got recruited by USC or something.

Just like at any law school you are going to read, get called on, take exams.  At Santa Clara or Hofstra you will do those exact things. If the person wants to live in San Jose go to Santa Clara if they want to live in Long Island go to Hofstra if Santa Clara is 72 and Hofstra is 92.  Now if the person gets into Yale then f'it go to New Haven that will open unlimited doors.  The difference between Santa Clara and Hofstra though doesn't really matter.

Regional rankings they might matter, but even then they screw people I know 3 people that transferred from GGU to USF and Santa Clara technically higher ranked, but they are working with their people from their 1L section from GGU. They lost scholarship money they could have kept had they stayed at GGU.  Santa Clara and USF got them the same places that GGU got the transfers, except the people at GGU have less debt.  The transfers can say they graduted from the 88th best school instead of the 111th, but at the end of the day who cares. If you transferred into Stanford or Berkley then yea do it, but even regionally the rankings are pretty irrelevant.

Fact is Pepperdine is a highly rated undergrad and a not so highly rated law school.  That could have been any of the top schools.  Not everyone is aware of who the top 10 -20 law schools are until they start researching law school options, and that is why Harvard and NYU and UVa etc have to be ranked.  It's not "sky is blue" type information.  You are really grossly generalizing to the point you make it seem unimportant what the top schools are.

The problem becomes when everyone wants their school to have the same impact and sex appeal as when people say the word Harvard (and there are 9 other top notch law schools, why do you always use Harvard?).  And the Ivy Leagues in general is instantly known worldwide (even Cornell).  There are people from backgrounds other than yours that do need to have some sense of the law school pecking order (at the top) because it matters to the biglaw recruiters and to any other firm or agency that can manage to get a top law school's graduate.

And the further one goes down the the USNews list, the lower the middle 50% GPA range gets.  That is obviously a major basis for the rankings, and gives people a pretty good idea of where they should be aiming with the exception of having uncommon softs.  Someone with a 147 and half a brain should be able to gather from US News that they do not have a significant chance of getting into Vanderbilt.  Which is not Harvard but is certainly not a low-LSAT law school.  Prior to looking at the rankings they easily might not know that because they might not have even heard of Vanderbilt before.

What the rankings won't tell them that they need to do further research and find out, is where Vanderbilt graduates tend to place.  And that would not be New York.

People simply need to do a lot of cross-referencing and not rely on one source for all their answers.  If some of these folks I see on the net (speaking in general here) are so terrible with research and due diligence into their own fates...why should the public bring them any business and let them help determine its fate?  I can understand that schools put out misleading salary info, but in the age of Salary.com, Careerbuilder.com, and the jobs section of Craigslist and LinkedIn, it's very alarming that people who should have learned basic research and objective skepticism in science classes from primary through tertiary can't cross-reference what the school's brochure said with the going rate any given minute that you run a search for associates and attorneys with 0-2 years experience.  In any state.

Hell they can go on careerbuilder and sort the search for lawyer or attorney by state to see which state needs them most these days, among other sorting tools.

The schools shouldn't have to tell people to do this. They spend half their lives online and only waste their lives on it instead of making it work for them. 

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2010, 05:03:44 PM »
Yea Vanderbilt is a good school and any school from the Ivy League will open more doors than GGU.  Yes people should do research, entering law school is a scary experience 100K and 3 years of time and I see people talking out of their a** about tier 4's and that they kick out half the class and nobody ever gets a job and that is just not the case.  Nobody has been kicked out of my section yet and the reason for high attrition is transfers, which I understand if you can transfer to Stanford or Hastings it will open more doors than GGU. Santa Clara and USF really won't open that many more doors and it is certainly not worth passing up scholarship money to go to those schools over GGU that is just my opinion. 

Everybody wants different things out of law school and I never denied a pecking order exists, but at the end of the day is up to the individual student to get a job, pass the bar etc. Yes it will be easier for a Stanford or Hastings grad to find a job than me I knew that going in. Rankings do matter in Big Law and to be a judge etc. I was fairly certain that I was not going to sit on the Supreme Court when I decided to go to GGU. Just like I was pretty sure i was not going to the NBA when I signed my scholarship to play basketball for Chico State. However, from Chico State basketball I got a job as a pro-basketball player as did many of my teammates. None of us went to the NBA, but a lot of us ended up being paid to play or coach basketball. I compare that to my experience at a tier 4 it has gotten me internship offers at mid-size firms that pay me to do legal work. Far from outstanding money, but I want to be a lawyer and I went to law school. I was not even offered an interview for any Big-Law or Judicial Clerkships and I expected that going in. I hope to work as a lawyer in S.F. and GGU is more than capable of helping me accomplish that goal if I put the work in. If my sole goal was to graduate with 100k job lined up or be the next Supreme Court Justice then I would be disappointed, because odds are really against me with a degree from GGU for that. However, it is more than capable of getting me a job as an attorney in the Bay Area and hell I might have to do contract work at graduation I accepted that when I went in. 

So all I am really trying to say is that GGU or any tier 3/4 will not ruin your life and if you want to be a lawyer and put the work in it will probably work out, but there are certainly better schools and if you are going to law school to get rich don't go to a tier 4.  If I had a 170 LSAT and 4.0 GPA I would not have gone to GGU and I had been 7'3 I would not have played basketball at Chico State. However, I am not a genius and I am not 7'3 so I had to use the cards I was dealt and make the most of it and this far I have.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2010, 09:36:52 PM »
Yeah but how many  of them are so awsome that they take 4 towns to fill? 8)

sonofapickle

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2010, 11:37:11 PM »
I honestly do love the fact that they have their own rankings. I think it is an awesome slap in the face to the U.S. News ranking which literally has as much merit as Cooley's system does.  In fact Cooley's actually is a better formula, because at least they do use objective standards even if it is the amount of chairs a school has at least that is measurable.

Personally, I feel it would have been a slap in the face if Cooley's acceptance rate was not so high and the average LSAT score being 149 and the average UGPA being 2.9. I could have gotten into Cooley's law school straight out of High School.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2010, 11:57:58 PM »
yeah........THAT's how it works.........fetus.

I honestly do love the fact that they have their own rankings. I think it is an awesome slap in the face to the U.S. News ranking which literally has as much merit as Cooley's system does.  In fact Cooley's actually is a better formula, because at least they do use objective standards even if it is the amount of chairs a school has at least that is measurable.

Personally, I feel it would have been a slap in the face if Cooley's acceptance rate was not so high and the average LSAT score being 149 and the average UGPA being 2.9. I could have gotten into Cooley's law school straight out of High School.

sonofapickle

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2010, 12:21:53 AM »
When those numbers were pointed out that your school was sub-standard and not in the top 50, how did you take it? Don't over embellish such a low-ranked school and act as though you are better than me. From what I can see, you aren't, as you had no other options outside of Cooley. To further illustrate this point, if a school in the top 30 had admitted you to their program you would have immediately went to one of them. Of course being a soldier is great and all, but you are clearly thinking about your future as a lawyer, and a free ride at a top-30 law school would have been great and you would have taken it. Your school is being paid for by the service you did for your country. However, you didn't cut it for one of the top 30. In conclusion, please stop using "fetus" to insult me as it is something you should not do as I do not deserve such putrid insults against me.

P.S. that is your school's statistics. That is how it works unfortunately.

http://www.cooley.edu/prospective/requirements.html

/done

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2010, 01:17:34 AM »
if I lived in my parents basement and sucked on daddys tit yeah. When your done guzzling it, we'll talk.

When those numbers were pointed out that your school was sub-standard and not in the top 50, how did you take it? Don't over embellish such a low-ranked school and act as though you are better than me. From what I can see, you aren't, as you had no other options outside of Cooley. To further illustrate this point, if a school in the top 30 had admitted you to their program you would have immediately went to one of them. Of course being a soldier is great and all, but you are clearly thinking about your future as a lawyer, and a free ride at a top-30 law school would have been great and you would have taken it. Your school is being paid for by the service you did for your country. However, you didn't cut it for one of the top 30. In conclusion, please stop using "fetus" to insult me as it is something you should not do as I do not deserve such putrid insults against me.

P.S. that is your school's statistics. That is how it works unfortunately.

http://www.cooley.edu/prospective/requirements.html

/done

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2010, 02:01:00 AM »
Oh my god 2.9 and a 149 could not be done out of high school that just shows how f'ing ignorant you are. Believe it or not the majority of undergraduates do not get 2.9's a lot of people actually struggle through undergrad if you get 150 you did better than 50% of the population with a bachelor's degree who were ambitious enough to go to law school.  Getting into any ABA school is a difficult and you can't get out of high school. You are probably really academically inclined good for you that doesn't mean that someone who goes to Cooley is an idiot.

I bet you can't dunk a basketball and I can. So your obviously 400 pounds overweight and ready to die of a heart attack, because I can dunk a basketball and you can't. I am sure you are fine physically in reality and you know what not everyone can get a 170 on their LSAT and not everyone can dunk a basketball. Getting a 150 on your LSAT does not mean your an idiot believe or not a lot of people are not capable of doing it.  Shut your damn mouth and get a clue about real life and stop telling yourself your better for doing well on a multiple choice test.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2010, 12:02:37 PM »
he didnt even take the test yet, he just expects to do good on it.

Oh my god 2.9 and a 149 could not be done out of high school that just shows how f'ing ignorant you are. Believe it or not the majority of undergraduates do not get 2.9's a lot of people actually struggle through undergrad if you get 150 you did better than 50% of the population with a bachelor's degree who were ambitious enough to go to law school.  Getting into any ABA school is a difficult and you can't get out of high school. You are probably really academically inclined good for you that doesn't mean that someone who goes to Cooley is an idiot.

I bet you can't dunk a basketball and I can. So your obviously 400 pounds overweight and ready to die of a heart attack, because I can dunk a basketball and you can't. I am sure you are fine physically in reality and you know what not everyone can get a 170 on their LSAT and not everyone can dunk a basketball. Getting a 150 on your LSAT does not mean your an idiot believe or not a lot of people are not capable of doing it.  Shut your damn mouth and get a clue about real life and stop telling yourself your better for doing well on a multiple choice test.

Mr. Hart

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2010, 03:04:05 PM »
Yes people should do research, entering law school is a scary experience 100K and 3 years of time and I see people talking out of their a** about tier 4's and that they kick out half the class and nobody ever gets a job and that is just not the case.  Nobody has been kicked out of my section yet and the reason for high attrition is transfers, which I understand if you can transfer to Stanford or Hastings it will open more doors than GGU. Santa Clara and USF really won't open that many more doors and it is certainly not worth passing up scholarship money to go to those schools over GGU that is just my opinion. 

A lot of these schools don't fail out many people after their first term. Everybody on AP keeps that to themselves. You won't notice a drop until after your 2nd semester grades are released. I do agree with you that there is a lot of b.s. horror stories out there about t4's and how they fail out more than half of their class, but saying that the reason for these high attritions rates is due solely to transfers is a misnomer. Yeah, many people who are dismissed did not put in the requisite work to graduate. However, a decent amount of people put in the time and effort and just couldn't perform.