Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of North Dakota or University of Kansas  (Read 948 times)

lawman81

• View Profile
University of North Dakota or University of Kansas
« on: April 29, 2010, 02:05:50 AM »
I need some help people. I got accepted to University of North Dakota, which I can attend for about a cost of $12,000/yr.  It is in the third tier, yet highly regarded in the state.

I can attend the University of Kansas, which is ranked 65th, for $27,000 the first year, and then proceed to establish residency for the second and third years for a rate of $15,000.

I do not want to borrow more money than I need to, however, I want to maximize job prospects and income in the future.

By the way, due to family obligations I plan on practicing either in Minnesota or Iowa, and later maybe California.

I NEED HELP! Any advice? 

cooleylawstudent

Re: University of North Dakota or University of Kansas
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 02:09:24 AM »
go with the cheap one.

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 04:10:05 PM »
ND is cheaper, so go there. You won't derive much of an [if any] advantage by going to Kansas. If you planned to live in KA then it would make sense, but since you don't, don't go there. 

lawman81

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 09:19:15 PM »
Thanks guys! By the way, I was told by UND admissions today that obtaining ND residency is fairly simple. So tuition for the 2nd and 3rd year will be closer to $9,0000, rather than $12,000.  That pretty much solidified my decision.

rosco

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 04:36:49 PM »
I'm going to have to side with Kansas on this one.  UND is good for N Dakota, but will not place as well out of state.  Kansas is ranked and has much better placement rates for law firms.  What are your numbers?  If you want to work in MN or IA, it will be hard to get jobs over someone coming from UMN or Iowa.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 02:17:21 PM »
North Dakota if you plan to live in ND or MN, otherwise Kansas.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.