Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Studying for the LSAT....need tips  (Read 1551 times)

Seatown42

• View Profile
Studying for the LSAT....need tips
« on: April 28, 2010, 02:44:21 PM »
Hey all,

Wondering if people have any good advice about how to go about effectively self-studying for the LSAT.  I am studying for the October LSAT, and am taking a full length Powerscore in July.  Until them I have the 3 Powerscore bibles, and am setting apart 3-4 hours per day as I am taking summer classes, and them starting a 40 hr. per week job in June.

Any tips on how I should work through the bibles/take practice tests? Curious on what worked for people...

Thanks

Seatown42

cooleylawstudent

Re: Studying for the LSAT....need tips
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 03:50:28 PM »
How close are you to graduation from your BA?

Jeffort

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT Tutor
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Discussion - Free LSAT Logical Reasoning Question Type Finder Utility
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 04:18:35 PM »
Hey all,

Wondering if people have any good advice about how to go about effectively self-studying for the LSAT.  I am studying for the October LSAT, and am taking a full length Powerscore in July.  Until them I have the 3 Powerscore bibles, and am setting apart 3-4 hours per day as I am taking summer classes, and them starting a 40 hr. per week job in June.

Any tips on how I should work through the bibles/take practice tests? Curious on what worked for people...

Thanks

Seatown42

You are certainly trying to cover all the bases, which is a good thing.  

I typically prefer students in classes I've taught to not have done much pre-class self study except for familiarization of the basics of the exam and the process, stuff like section types, time restraints, deadlines, etc.  Tabula Rosa - starting with a clean slate, otherwise students come in with faulty conceptions of the concepts and effective approaches that are a pain to undo once formed.

However, given the circumstances you described you are going to be very busy during the time you are taking the class leading up to test day.  I'm not sure how you are going to be able to fit in the necessary time for LSAT homework/study/practice while working full time and taking summer classes.  

With your set of circumstances RE: time demands I don't see a problem with you starting to review/peruse the bibles now as time permits.  Since your class is from the same company as the books there is consistency with the methodology and techniques, that is a good thing.  

A very bad thing many people do is buy every prep book out there and then they get lost and confused by all the various different approaches/descriptions/techniques/etc.  It's important to stick with one method from one quality source.  The LSAT is complicated and confusing enough as it is, why add another layer of confusion...

At this point in time you should toss out the idea of starting to take timed practice tests.  Basically, learn to walk before you try to run.  Plus, you don't want to burn through all the available questions before receiving proper instruction and being able to ask questions and get feedback from a good instructor.  

For your described circumstances I say go ahead and leisurely read through the bibles and work through the drills and supplied questions in slow motion leading up till your class starts.  As you do that keep a running list of errors, things you are confused about, things that messed you up, etc. so that you have a sheet of your issues to ask the instructor directly about once class starts.  Take advantage of your instructor.  The better and more precise your questions, the better answers and advice you will get.

And to reiterate, DO NOT START TAKING A BUNCH OF TIMED PRACTICE TESTS NOW!!!  Please don't do the 'churn and burn'.

Seatown42

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 08:57:38 PM »
Thanks for the reply Jeffort, I am planning on taking one diagnostic exam just to see where I am, but then will start working through the books. 
As for the question, I have one more semester left, but due to a good job opportunity I am taking a year off to work, and then coming back in fall 2011 to finish my BA.  My thinking is that I will know where my LSAT is and can apply early in the cycle.

Jeffort

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT Tutor
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Discussion - Free LSAT Logical Reasoning Question Type Finder Utility
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 02:56:00 AM »
Thanks for the reply Jeffort, I am planning on taking one diagnostic exam just to see where I am, but then will start working through the books. 
As for the question, I have one more semester left, but due to a good job opportunity I am taking a year off to work, and then coming back in fall 2011 to finish my BA.  My thinking is that I will know where my LSAT is and can apply early in the cycle.

That sounds like a good plan that makes sense to balance everything.  Taking one timed practice test soon to get your current baseline score is a good idea to help you figure out your strengths and weaknesses in order to decide what to focus on more as you go through it all. 

Getting everything done well in advance and applying early in the cycle is also a very good thing with how rolling admissions works. 

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 02:01:16 PM »
shower curtain go on inside.

TimMitchell

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 03:24:29 PM »
October LSAT be hardest ever

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 03:35:19 PM »
where you come up this stuff?

sonofapickle

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 02:41:06 AM »

That is a false post. All LSAT's are designed the same way so that it ensures students no one test is harder/easier than the other one.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 07:04:38 AM »

That is a false post. All LSAT's are designed the same way so that it ensures students no one test is harder/easier than the other one.

now, now, grasshopper.