Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Looking for some advice about my situation  (Read 906 times)

Dorman

• View Profile
Looking for some advice about my situation
« on: April 28, 2010, 12:41:00 PM »
I am looking for any advice you have to offer about my stats and how they will be viewed by law schools. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.  Although I have one more year to go, I will most likely graduate with a 2.8-2.9.  I will have a degree in Political Science and a minor in Biology.  My lower GPA is mostly due to some upper level Biology and physics classes, but I do have a positive trend.  Ive done well in all of the Political Science classes.  Although I have not taken the LSAT, I have taken the practice test and am confident that I can score in the 170s.  I am a Division one athlete(Cross Country, Winter track & Spring Track) and have several hours of hospital volunteering. I am just wondering what caliber school would consider me.  Id like to attended a school in an urban setting, in the East, such as Fordham, Boston University or George Washington. Again, any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.         

cooleylawstudent

Re: Looking for some advice about my situation
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 03:46:58 PM »
Athletics and volunteering at a hospital make ZERO difference on a lawschool application. Just go take the LSAT.

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 06:59:43 AM »
Well, that's a bit overstated, but it counts for very little. As for being sure you can score 170+; well, so is everyone else. Then reality comes into play. Go take the LSAT, wait for your score, come back and tell us what it is.

Yes, a 170+ is most likely going to get you into Fordham, but you have no (solid) basis for assuming you'll score 170+ yet.
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 07:40:04 PM »
I am looking for any advice you have to offer about my stats and how they will be viewed by law schools. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.  Although I have one more year to go, I will most likely graduate with a 2.8-2.9.  I will have a degree in Political Science and a minor in Biology.  My lower GPA is mostly due to some upper level Biology and physics classes, but I do have a positive trend.  Ive done well in all of the Political Science classes.  Although I have not taken the LSAT, I have taken the practice test and am confident that I can score in the 170s.  I am a Division one athlete(Cross Country, Winter track & Spring Track) and have several hours of hospital volunteering. I am just wondering what caliber school would consider me.  Id like to attended a school in an urban setting, in the East, such as Fordham, Boston University or George Washington. Again, any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.   

Agree with the above, with the caveat that your chances are almost wholly dependent in your circumstances especially upon how well you do in the LSAT.  That given, you should spend as much time prepping for your LSAT as you spend for ALL your classes during a decent semester.  Crazy?  Perhaps.  But as the LSAT is at least half of your law school admissions picture (in many ways it is more), doesn't it make sense to spend a comparable amount of time?  Not four years, perhaps, but certainly much more than is commonly done.

(I just spoke with a prep-course instructor who offered a rather interesting take on those who actually do score 170+ in their LSAT.  It made me realize that my advice in GGG isn't overstated, as I've been accused of, but is in fact understated.  It's not that one must go crazy in studying for the LSAT, but that true study is very different for a LSAT superstar than it is for the average LSAT-taker.  The key is that for true excellence, the LSAT stops being work and begins being fun.  The challenge is in how to cross that threshold.)

Thane.

diaphanous25

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 03:54:04 PM »
It's not that one must go crazy in studying for the LSAT, but that true study is very different for a LSAT superstar than it is for the average LSAT-taker.  The key is that for true excellence, the LSAT stops being work and begins being fun.  The challenge is in how to cross that threshold.)

Thane.
Agreed! I am an instructor for the SAT and scored in the 95% on the GRE and its about making it fun... I still carry the vocab dictionary occasionally.