Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: lcd/plasma/hdtv advice pls...  (Read 1226 times)

tobos

• View Profile
lcd/plasma/hdtv advice pls...
« on: April 28, 2010, 11:25:12 AM »
i got selected to participate in nielsen tv ratings. they're going to pay me $600 bucks to hook a ratings box to my tv.

i'm gonna use this money to buy a new tv. what do you guys think of lcd tvs? what brands are good? or should i just go all out and get a plasma and hdtv?

ManikBhai

• View Profile
Re: lcd/plasma/hdtv advice pls...
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 06:34:00 AM »
thanks for you topic that I have personal experience that few days ago I was few lcd/plasma/hdtv from Chinabuye.com supplier and Its good looking and price is very low.

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 10:53:06 AM »
Plasma still has the best motion response and the most realistic colors.  LED LCD's are getting close and are physically smaller and lighter.  If you can deal with a couple of inches of thickness and a few more lbs, plasma is the way to go right now imho (also less expensive than an LED LCD).  I've yet to see any serious source rank an LED LCD much less a LCD above a plasma for picture quality.

Re resolution and refresh rate, the above poster is mistaken, they are all the same resolution (by definition a full HD TV is 1920x1080 - stay away from the 720p wanna-be TVs unless you are getting something <40" and aren't super picky). Plasmas have a dramatically higher refresh rate, though at some point the marginal value of refresh rate diminishes. A mid-range panasonic plasma is 600hz, to my knowledge you can't buy any lcd with a rate that's nearly as fast.  But this doesn't matter a lot.

Where plasmas still pwn the rest are contrast ratio - nothing else can generate the blacks that you'll get from a plasma. A mid range plasma is 2 million :1.

Plasmas can't compete on form factor, thickness or weight, so if these matter an LCD or better yet LED LCD can be much, much better.

You could get a panasonic TC-P502 (50" full HD plasma) for under $700 if you shop around -this seems to be about the most value for money for a tv currently (http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Televisions/All-VIERA-Flat-Panel-HDTVs/model.TC-P50S2.S_11002_7000000000000005702#tabsection).  The 42" version of the same should be under $600.  Check if your employer has a panasonic EPP program.

HLS 2010

ProfJenkins

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 04:22:58 AM »
Wow, that was an elaborate response, how do you know so much about tvs. What do you mean by form factor ? I was
going to get an LED LCD, but I might not if the only benefit is the light weight and thinness. LCD HDTV